Truckers Protest High Fuel Prices, Clog NJ Turnpike

Pass it on to the consumer. Geez I wont even charge for that advice.
Unfortunately for the independent truckers who are protesting high diesel prices, that's much easier said than done. Most work through brokers, who, along with shippers, set the rates they will pay truckers to haul goods. The rates haven't kept pace with the dramatic increase in fuel prices. So truckers pay more for fuel but don't get compensated for their increased costs. Long term, that won't work.

I know two independent drivers who've parked their rigs and are looking for other jobs.

Unfortunately for the independent truckers who are protesting high diesel prices, that's much easier said than done. Most work through brokers, who, along with shippers, set the rates they will pay truckers to haul goods. The rates haven't kept pace with the dramatic increase in fuel prices. So truckers pay more for fuel but don't get compensated for their increased costs. Long term, that won't work.

I know two independent drivers who've parked their rigs and are looking for other jobs.

Ah Ha

My response was answered.

I guess if enough stop hauling at these prices the brokers will have to make a move.

Bad deal for the truckers. There is no magic switch to flip to get them cheaper fuel. Somehow the price of fuel needs to be passed along faster then.

Sorry for the initial nonchalant post.

Not only are the truckers suffering from the high fuel prices but so are the farmers and ranchers who grow our food.

With the price of oil being at over $100 a barrel and with the limited refineries it appears that high fuel prices will be with us for quite some time. I just hope that we do not lose a lot of our independent truckers and a lot of our family farms and ranches.

What the heck everybody is feeling the pinch in their wallets from the high fuel costs.

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

I understand that they are really being squeezed. But they are directing their anger at the wrong target. It's the price of crude that they need to protest, and American oil companies have little to zero influence on that at this point.

In fact, refining is a very low margin business with high capital needs. Refiners are currently operating with expremely tight crack spreads. Many are operating at a loss, and in some cases they are not even covering variable costs. Many refiners are shutting down plant for "unscheduled maintenance", which essentially means "I am tired of putting out $110 every day and taking in only $100."

Nobody wants crude prices to go down more fervently than refinery operators.

Truckers should talk to A-hab, the A-rab.

Or talk to G.W. Bush and Clinton and our glorious congresspersons about fiddling while Rome was catching fire.

Ha

When the cost of diesel fuel is more than unleaded regular, something wacky is going on. I met with a fleet mgr recently that buys diesel IN BULK and currently pays > $4/gal. Diesel is normally less than or equal to unleaded regular at retail. Ive seen this happen before and cetainly there is a connection to the runup in crude but also I expect its the runup before the election season price reductions (ala 2004). I wonder how long it takes for a barrel of crude to get refined and reach a retail user.

MSNBC article - Congress questions Big Oil’s big profits - Executives deflect blame for skyrocketing fuel costs

Congress questions Big Oil’s big profits - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

The questioning of big oil by Congress is a couple of days (years) late and few millions if not billions of dollars late.

Old George W and Congress need to get off their rear ends and pressure OPEC to bring down the price of crude. Refineries need to be working at full capacity.

Finally Old George W needs to tell the Arab countries which we are protecting that they have one choice to bring down the price of crude or else we will leave their country and thus we will no longer protect them. I am sure that things will change quick.

With the average price of gas at about $3.26 and the price of diesel at about $4.06, it just does not make any sense for big oil to be making these huge profits while ordinary Americans are paying through the nose for fuels.

MSNBC article - Congress questions Big Oil’s big profits - Executives deflect blame for skyrocketing fuel costs

The questioning of big oil by Congress is a couple of days (years) late and few millions if not billions of dollars late.

Old George W and Congress need to get off their rear ends and pressure OPEC to bring down the price of crude. Refineries need to be working at full capacity.

Finally Old George W needs to tell the Arab countries which we are protecting that they have one choice to bring down the price of crude or else we will leave their country and thus we will no longer protect them. I am sure that things will change quick.

With the average price of gas at about $3.26 and the price of diesel at about $4.06, it just does not make any sense for big oil to be making these huge profits while ordinary Americans are paying through the nose for fuels.

Wags again you are not thinking here. How in the world will we the american driver continue happy tooling around the interstate without a supply of saudi oil? The mexican fields are crashing in fact they will be dry in less than 5 years, Chavez he might not want to sell his heavy crude to us most cannot be used for gasoline anyway, Russia? Yea right bottom line unless americans change their habits and type of vehicles gasoline lines NASCAR people will be pi$$ed off royally and things will get very ugly here in america. Remember gasoline lines in the 70s? The next time will be real trouble.

Wags again you are not thinking here. How in the world will we the american driver continue happy tooling around the interstate without a supply of saudi oil? The mexican fields are crashing in fact they will be dry in less than 5 years, Chavez he might not want to sell his heavy crude to us most cannot be used for gasoline anyway, Russia? Yea right bottom line unless americans change their habits and type of vehicles gasoline lines NASCAR people will be pi$$ed off royally and things will get very ugly here in america. Remember gasoline lines in the 70s? The next time will be real trouble.
Wow, newguy talking about economic catastrophe here. I never thought I'd see it. :D

déjà vu 1975.

Things will adjust eventually. People will either drive less, buy smaller vehicles, pay more, most likely a combination of all three.

Wow, newguy talking about economic catastrophe here. I never thought I'd see it. :D

So ziggy you were 9 years old during the last energy crisis, you may have sat in a gasoline line in the back seat . Dude the lines and shortages were stinko. Lets hope we don't have to deal with them again.

Like I said above- no one likes to sell product below breakeven.

Yea but the dumbarse changeover to summer fuel! Whata joke, the air we breath yadayadayada. Its all bad for ya.. George carlin!!

Build a new refinery!! Oh we are told business does it better than govmint!! But since business IS NOT BUILDING NEW REFINERIES maybe the GOV might twist some arms or build them !!

Yea but the dumbarse changeover to summer fuel! Whata joke, the air we breath yadayadayada. Its all bad for ya.. George carlin!!

Build a new refinery!! Oh we are told business does it better than govmint!! But since business IS NOT BUILDING NEW REFINERIES maybe the GOV might twist some arms or build them !!

Well environmental regulation is a big deal with building refineries. Plus no one wants one in their backyard.

NewGuy, I appreciate that you were a government worker. But how well did the City of Newark do with its schools?

Also, we are not short of refineries. Crude is too expensive for what people are willing to pay for refined products. That is why refineries are being temporarily shut down. Because the refiners are losing on margin, and they can't make up on volume. :)

If you can read income statements, pull any recent statement for a pure-play refiner. You will see that their margins are being tightly squeezed.

Longer term we may or may not be short of refining capacity. If the crude price stays high, US fuel demand may stagnate or even fall over time.

Isn't that what you are always ranting about? That we need to cut down on crude purchased from those Arabs? Why would we refine it if we aren't planning to burn it?

It's great to have strong opinions, but it helps if they are tempered by a little understanding of the topic.

Ha

Last edited:
MSNBC article - Price of oil jumps as gas demand increase - Cost at the pump returns to record levels and look to go even higher

Price of oil jumps as gas demand increases - Oil & energy - MSNBC.com

Excerpt from article

Falling gasoline inventories and rising demand suggest supplies are tightening as the peak summer driving season approaches. That could boost gas prices further, and keep oil prices elevated.

End of excerpt

It appears that prices at the pump will continue to go up and up.

So ziggy you were 9 years old during the last energy crisis, you may have sat in a gasoline line in the back seat . Dude the lines and shortages were stinko. Lets hope we don't have to deal with them again.

I seem to remember the gasoline line problem lasting less than a month, but then again it was the 70's and I may have been confused.

I saw some of the excerpts on TV and the web. Maybe I need more context, but I don't get it.

Why is Congress asking these questions? Isn't a company *supposed* to make a profit? Geez, people are complaining about a slow economy, then they want to grill companies that are making a profit!

Seems to me that Congress should have been grilling Congress. Why did Congress authorize tax breaks to these oil companies?

And why ask an oil company why they aren't spending more on renewable energy? Can't a business decide where they want to invest? If Mr Congressman thinks that renewable energy is such a great business, maybe he should leave public office and start his own renewable energy firm.

I suspect it was just a show so that politicians could portray themselves as 'white knights' to the voting public. They probably met with the oil lobbyists later at the bar and had a good laugh over the whole thing.

-ERD50

Yahoo.com - Market supplied with enough oil, OPEC official says

Market supplied with enough oil, OPEC official says: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Excerpt from the article

Oil supply to the market is enough and high oil prices are not due to a shortage of crude but rather it is because of the decrease in the dollar's value, shortage of refinery capacity and some political tensions in the world," OPEC Secretary-General Abdullah al-Badri was quoted as saying by Iran's official IRNA news agency.

End of excerpt.

It appears that OPEC will be of NO help to the U.S. Fuel prices will continue on the upward swing.

Bottom line no new refineries here in the states in 30 years sure they expanded the older ones, but most are in hurricane alley so just wait until the weather turns bad. Sorry unlesswe start drilling EVERYPLACE in the states we are well Fu(ked.

Enjoy 5 6 or8 dollar a gallon gasoline and diesel fuel, and 5 dollar a dozen eggs!.

While you go to nascar races and sit in drive through lanes for your sausage bojangles biscuits. Get this today 23 cars waiting in a drive through here in north carolina at a bojangles wth the gas station next door at 3.34 a gallon ! Plus some idiot was actually washing his SUV at the 6 dollar car wash in the rain!

Back
Top Bottom