Lemons: Poop on 'em...

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
This bit from our local TV station is...yucky!

Testing Lemons at San Antonio Restaurants

A lot of people no longer ask for a slice of lemon in their ice water when they go to a restaurant. Recently the NBC Today Show revealed how those lemon wedges can be loaded with harmful germs. We heard from some of you who wanted us to test the lemons at San Antonio
restaurants. News 4 Trouble Shooter Jaie Avila serves up the results, and they may leave you with a sour stomach.

We tested lemon slices from 10 restaurants around San Antonio, and believe it or not, half of them were found to be contaminated with either E-coli, or fecal bacteria from human or animal waste.

Who knew lemons could be such a magnet for germs? Even some researchers assumed it might act as a natural disinfectant for your drink.
Dr. Annette Fothergill at the UT Health Science Center, who tested our lemons for us, said before the tests, "Citrus fruit is very acidic, so I'm thinking a lot of bacteria won't survive that kind of environment."

Well, the petri dish doesn't lie. All kinds of nasty stuff showed up when the Trouble Shooters took lemon wedges from local restaurants, and had them tested.

We started by visiting restaurants in different parts of the city, where we ordered water or tea with a slice of lemon. Then, as researchers instructed us to, we used hand sanitizer before putting the lemons into sterile plastic bags and taking them to the lab....

So, who served us the dirtiest lemon? That dubious distinction went to the Hooters. The lemon they put in our drink contained 3 different kinds of fecal contamination.

"We have a mixture, a nice fecal cocktail here," said Dr. Fothergill. Unlike the other places, the source of the bacteria is almost certainly human. Fothergill explained, "Quite clearly someone did not wash their hands before they handled lemons and sliced them, and put them on the cup."

The results of our investigation even made an impression on the researchers who conducted the test. "I have now decided I will no longer put any citrus items in my drinks so I order them without. I don't even want them touching the glass anymore," explained Dr. Fothergill....

Further support for the consumption of alcoholic beverages...

So much for the lemon's antibacterial properties! gross...

God only knows what was on the olives!

I always scrub lemons and limes. I figured they had some kind of poop quotient going on. Now Ill be sure to add that extra liquor just to be safe.

You ought to visit a citrus orchard in Florida some time. The fruit is really dirty. Probably a mix of palmetto bug poop and smudge from the smudge pot burners.

D*mn. Lemons with my tequila is one of my favorites. Which reminds me, it is happy hour at the Kilkenny Pub down the street and I have the afternoon free.

You ought to visit a citrus orchard in Florida some time. The fruit is really dirty. Probably a mix of palmetto bug poop and smudge from the smudge pot burners.
We grow our own, so I wonder if the fecal test distinguishes among human fecal bacteria or that from animals like birds & geckos.

I always thought it was stupid to put a lime in a Corona. I didn't know it was lethal...

Ugh. Just got back from dinner out with Frank, and guess what I had to drink? You're right - - ice water, with a lemon wedge.

(burp!) Oh well.

So what number is this to not move to Texas?

You need the lime in the Corona's to cut the urine taste.

Thats what I was told before someone jumps on that ;)

We grow our own, so I wonder if the fecal test distinguishes among human fecal bacteria or that from animals like birds & geckos.

I always thought it was stupid to put a lime in a Corona. I didn't know it was lethal...

I'm under the possibly mistaken impression that human poo is worse; something about being a carnivore.

Hey, you're already drinking rat urine, who cares about a little feces?

My thoughts exactly. Give me a Dos Equis Amber, sans lime...

I read a similar study about those toothpicks in the little dispenser at restaurants. The ones that drop several toothpicks into the bottom where people grab one while touching the others. I now only use the wrapped toothpicks (mint please, without the poo!)

Well I am NEVER going to Hooters again:mad:...........OK, just one more chance.>:D

This bit from our local TV station is...yucky!

So, who served us the dirtiest lemon? That dubious distinction went to the Hooters. The lemon they put in our drink contained 3 different kinds of fecal contamination.

"We have a mixture, a nice fecal cocktail here," said Dr. Fothergill. Unlike the other places, the source of the bacteria is almost certainly human. Fothergill explained, "Quite clearly someone did not wash their hands before they handled lemons and sliced them, and put them on the cup."

Compliments of the "pooters at Hooters"...:D

R

Well... assuming there is a restaurant lemon causal situation. What happened?

1. The restaurants did not was the lemons before serving them?
  2. The restaurants are so filthy that they cannot set the washed lemons anywhere without picking up bacteria and poop? :p
If it is situation 2... wouldn't that apply to just about any food? Yuk!

Now just hold on here people..Here we are devoting all this bandwidth to talking about dirty lemons in some Texas Hooters while the "real" issue sits there unaddressed:(
What is it about Texans that causes them to go to Hooters for LEMONS in the first place? There has to be some deep psychological fruit issue at play here.:confused:

Believe me folks, this is not the Texas I left behind. No sireee, never once did I hear a Texan say--"hey lets go on down to Hooters and check out their lemons." Not once.

REW--HFWR--are you guys even paying attention to the state of the state?? Please, if you can't give me at least a cantaloupe story, then give me no story at all. ;)

I don't believe this study.

First, I'll bet that the lemons are no dirtier nor cleaner than anything else from the restaurant. That just happened to be the only thing tested, from what I read. Take cultures from anything, and you're going to get results like this.

Second, the media just loves stories like this. Other recent ones: Hotel remote controls and bedspreads, sponges (must change every month), etc. I'm sure that you can culture some bacteria from this stuff, but I'm not convinced that there's enough there to cause illness except in rare cases. Could be wrong.

I'm a card-carrying germophobe, but I think the thing that's worth being careful about is cold viruses from shaking hands or touching things.

Highest concentration of urine in a mens room is the mint dish. Second highest is the door handle on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom