The Ultimate Cheapskate?

I am considering buying this book for my 23-yr old daughter. If she would listen to the advice not to go buy clothes one or twice every week, this book would have paid for itself a few thousand times in her life. But will she heed such advice? That brings up the point that has been bothering me for years. People either practice frugality, or sweep such advices aside.

Let me explain the approach I'm taking with our 'just starting out in real life' son. I'm trying very hard to do no 'preaching' whatsoever. I expect that to be counter-productive. What I have been doing, in small doses, is explain the consequences of decisions.

For example, he just got an apartment, probably a bit pricier than what DW and I thought he should get at this stage. So I did talk to him a little about budgeting, stressing that this is *his* responsibility now, and I went into a little depth on the importance of building up a 3-6 month emergency fund, and how that has to be a top priority to re-fill if an emergency does come along. I stressed that this gives you power and flexibility, and keeps you out of jams, and the lack of one is probably the main reason you hear of these sob-stories on the news.

I think it sunk in. I plan to touch on it from time to time and see how he's doing. I think it will have better results than 'what the hell are you spending so much on an apartment for!! You think money grows on trees!!?? Heck, when I was you age, bla-bla-bla....'.

So maybe some people are just born with the 'frugal gene', but I think others can understand the cause-effect, and decide from there. Others never get the cause-effect thing, choose not to look, or just want to live in ignorance of it.

-ERD50

P.S. Forgot to put smilies on the "Conflict of Interest, Huh?" line. I was just joking.

It's worth a try. When I give a book like this to someone, I'll say "Because I read a book like this when I was your age, my time is now my own."

One of the traits my daughter inherits from me is that she is a voracious reader. I found an investing book written for women (no - not Suze, though I don't know how people pick on her so much - some people deserve to be yelled at), and just put on her desk. I didn't even say anything. She found it, and read it in 1 or 2 nights. She later asked me to look over her 401k contributions :D.

I am now trying to get her to reduce eating out, not going to the theaters 3 times a week, and not shopping for clothes twice a week.

Glad you're enjoying my book. You're right, much of the advice is targeted toward younger folks who are just starting out ... I'm heartened by the fact that the book is getting a bit of a cult following among college students and other young adults. I don't know if it will capture your daughter's fancy, but it's definitely most popular among those in that age bracket.

That's encouraging.

Let me explain the approach I'm taking with our 'just starting out in real life' son. I'm trying very hard to do no 'preaching' whatsoever. I expect that to be counter-productive. What I have been doing, in small doses, is explain the consequences of decisions.
So maybe some people are just born with the 'frugal gene', but I think others can understand the cause-effect, and decide from there. Others never get the cause-effect thing, choose not to look, or just want to live in ignorance of it.
-ERD50

That's the approach we have taken. With my son, I've got no problem. In fact, we don't want him to become "too cheap". Let me explain that a bit further.

When I was in my late 20s, having a bit of cash piled up but not knowing how to invest, I read Andrew Tobias. By the way, he described more ways an investor could lose money than one could make money. That was useful, I guess, to keep a novice from diving in head first. But I remembered and appreciated some of his philosophical points the most. Now, we all know Jeff Yeager uses the term "cheapskate" in the self-mocking sense. Tobias showed the differentiation between true "cheap" and "frugal".

To Tobias, not using the minibar in your hotel room and running down to get a Coke at the nearby convenience store is frugal, not cheap. Not leaving the correct tip to your waitress, or not contributing to the office envelope circulating for collection for a gift for the department secretary is cheap, not frugal. Tobias said frugality generally applied to the act of denying oneself, while cheap applied to actions towards others.

Growing up, I saw that my father rarely went out to drink and eat with friends. He mostly tried to include his family in recreation activities. He would scrimp on himself, but not on his kids. He was frugal, not cheap.

On the other hand, I have seen people who would not hesitate to squander on themselves, but were extremely miserly when it came to treating others. Those are CHEAP, no matter what fancy cars they drive or what clothes they wear. Those, you may not know they are cheapskates until you get a chance to observe how they treat their family members and friends.

On the other hand, I have seen people who would not hesitate to squander on themselves, but were extremely miserly when it came to treating others. Those are CHEAP, no matter what fancy cars they drive or what clothes they wear. Those, you may not know they are cheapskates until you get a chance to observe how they treat their family members and friends.
NW, a very helpful post.

Ha

To Tobias, not using the minibar in your hotel room and running down to get a Coke at the nearby convenience store is frugal, not cheap. Not leaving the correct tip to your waitress, or not contributing to the office envelope circulating for collection for a gift for the department secretary is cheap, not frugal. Tobias said frugality generally applied to the act of denying oneself, while cheap applied to actions towards others.

Growing up, I saw that my father rarely went out to drink and eat with friends. He mostly tried to include his family in recreation activities. He would scrimp on himself, but not on his kids. He was frugal, not cheap.

I have been called cheap before, and I agree 100% with this assessment. I tip waiters, I pay for my due in things, I will buy stuff for myself, what is being cheap is renegging on other people or doing things that affect others. Anything affecting oneself is usually frugal (not spending so much money on stupid things), not cheap. Very well put.

I would also add that being a cheapskate can have a downside. For example, if in corporate business you are perceived as a cheapskate (e.g. dress poorly) it can negatively influence how others perceive you and hurt your earning potential.

I just remember this story about former World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz, who got caught in public with holey socks, before the scandal broke about his girlfriend.

He was visiting a mosque in Turkey, where one had to remove shoes as the custom dictated. He was then forced to reveal his big toes to the world's cameras.

circumlocutor: Paul Wolfowitz's Sock Has a Hole in It!

It was hilarious. He was then offered 12 pairs of socks by Turkish sock producers. Umit Ozuren, the deputy head of the Socks Producers Association, said "If he had bought from our high quality socks he would not have had such troubles. The quality of Turkish socks has been proven by the amounts we export to the European Union,"

Though just an unknown geek, I dread of embarassing myself like that in a business setting. Fellow LBYM'ers who are still working, get over your schadenfreude. If you keep holey socks to wear at home in the winter, be sure to not pack them for business trips. You never know if you have to remove your shoes. Pack nice underwears too, like your mother advised.

I'm just rather impressed there is a Socks Producers Association and that it needs both a head and apparently at least one deputy head.

I bought some blazers at the local Goodwill that have "Sample, not for sale" written on the inside with permanent marker. I hesitate to wear them to business meetings because I am afraid it will be too hot and I'll have to take off my jacket.

Back to the OP, the book is not available at my local library, so I ordered a copy on Amazon. I might donate it to the library after I'm done. Nice discussions.

I bought some blazers at the local Goodwill that have "Sample, not for sale" written on the inside with permanent marker.

Obviously, they have a liner, else the ink would bleed through. Probably nice sample blazers that have never been worn. May be worth it to have the liners replaced. Or DYI by spray paint over the inside. :D:D:D

Obviously, they have a liner, else the ink would bleed through. Probably nice sample blazers that have never been worn. May be worth it to have the liners replaced. Or DYI by spray paint over the inside. :D:D:D

For one of them, I cut out the part of the liner and now there is a big rectangular hole in the liner. I was going to find some random fabric and cover it up myself with one of those iron-on glues. :)

LOL!

Jeff Yeager probably has been taking notes.

LOL!

Jeff Yeager probably has been taking notes.

You bet I have! But what I'm really curious about it what you could do with the part of the liner you cut out. A throw pillow, maybe? You could stuff it with the aforementioned socks, of course ...

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

You bet I have! But what I'm really curious about it what you could do with the part of the liner you cut out. A throw pillow, maybe? You could stuff it with the aforementioned socks, of course ...

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

LOL! - Wow, this guy is a pro! Good one Jeff! - ERD50

Oh Master! :D:D:D

But I hope you would try to bleach out the written message first. And double wash the socks!

This is totally experimental art. Like this famous Marilyn Monroe print.

Attachments

• MM.jpg
    MM.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 150
See page 72 of his book where he recommends do it yourself vasectomies.

2Cor521

NOTE TO FORUM MODERATORS: You have my permission if you'd like to publish the home surgical instructions found on Page 72 of my book under the above thread re: "Kids vs. Early Retirement." I think you'll find them simple to understand and easy to execute at home ... sort of a cross between the New England Journal of Medicine and the New Yankee Workshop.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

NOTE TO FORUM MODERATORS: You have my permission if you'd like to publish the home surgical instructions found on Page 72 of my book under the above thread re: "Kids vs. Early Retirement." I think you'll find them simple to understand and easy to execute at home ... sort of a cross between the New England Journal of Medicine and the New Yankee Workshop.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

Apparently nobody has told you yet about the initiation rites for this web site, Jeff. We follow our own instructions. Now if you'll just step this way to the "greeting room," someone will be right with you... ;)

Apparently nobody has told you yet about the initiation rites for this web site, Jeff. We follow our own instructions. Now if you'll just step this way to the "greeting room," someone will be right with you... ;)

You mean there's more? But I passed the physical exam with Nords, strange as it was. I was immediately skeptical when Trombone Al was asked to be present throughout.

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

If anyone wants pictures, let me know.

The web site (pay of course) will be up by the end of the weekend.

If anyone wants pictures, let me know.

The web site (pay of course) will be up by the end of the weekend.

Dang! I knew there was something fishy about that exam. Nords said the photos were for a medical journal, an article on “ER Dysfunction,” or something like that...

Stay Cheap!
-Jeff Yeager

Back
Top Bottom