Twenty years of wedded bliss

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Wednesday is the 20th anniversary. Planned is dinner out at her favorite restaurant, perhaps Chateaubriand For Two is in order. Buy some flowers and a mushy card.

Ladies, any better ideas? She doesn't like travel much and after finishing a summer class that crammed a semester's worth of work into 30 days she's a bit stressed and tired.

But I'd like to do something a bit out of the ordinary, romantic and all that, but I'm drawing a blank.

Joint spa treatments? Think pedicure and couples massages. Romantic B&B weekend or close by resort with room service brunch.

Does the restaurant have a speaker system for music? Or better yet, a band or musician that could play "your song" from your first dance--now that would be way cool.

heck, you don't have to do much as long as you squeeze in the "twenty years of wedded bliss" part - i'd be over the moon :D if my SO says that (in uh, well, depends which years you count heheh to rewahoo's point...)

On the actual day of our 20th anniversary we spent the evening at our son's middle school Open House. I kind of got a kick out of that! It's "romantic" in a family way. On the weekend we did go out for a nice dinner.

I know someone who's DH hired a barbershop quartet to come sing several songs to her at work ("Let Me Call You Sweetheart"). It was sooo sweet!

DW is a lot different than many. I've offered "the works" at a spa several times - no interest. I'd like the hot air balloon ride, but she's nervous in a commercial airliner which to me is merely a bus with wings, while I think acrobatics in an airplane are fun. I read the web sites of some balloon rides and it seems there's no sensation of motion but she can be queasy at times so that might turn out to be embarrassing for her.

The last time I spent $$ on roses I got "yelled at" for wasting money. She wasn't displeased at the thought, but made it clear that she'd prefer going out to lunch/dinner with it. Never been on a cruise for the same reason that Henry Ford never owned a Cadillac. She doesn't want one.

It would be funny to have the restaurant play "Farmer In The Dell" (that's a long story) so I'll keep that one in mind. Not sure if it's available in Muzak or whatever source they use.

The schedule is too tight for a B&B this year but that's an idea she would like.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

DW is a lot different than many. I've offered "the works" at a spa several times - no interest. I'd like the hot air balloon ride, but she's nervous in a commercial airliner which to me is merely a bus with wings, while I think acrobatics in an airplane are fun. I read the web sites of some balloon rides and it seems there's no sensation of motion but she can be queasy at times so that might turn out to be embarrassing for her.

The last time I spent $$ on roses I got "yelled at" for wasting money. She wasn't displeased at the thought, but made it clear that she'd prefer going out to lunch/dinner with it. Never been on a cruise for the same reason that Henry Ford never owned a Cadillac. She doesn't want one.

It would be funny to have the restaurant play "Farmer In The Dell" (that's a long story) so I'll keep that one in mind. Not sure if it's available in Muzak or whatever source they use.

The schedule is too tight for a B&B this year but that's an idea she would like.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Do you live near where you first met? On DW's 30th, I took her to the place where we met for lunch, then a walk in the park where we first held hands, then to a scenic overlook where we first kissed, etc.

She said it was the best birthday ever. Plus, I got my buddy who owns a bar to make her favorite drink (VO and Diet 7up) and put a lighted sparkler in it, and sing Happy Anniversary.........:D

One that I have always enjoyed is a suprise picnic. Think about unexpected, pleasant, relaxing and romantic without breaking the bank.

Instead of a mushy card, write a poem for your lady...it doesn't have to be eloquent. Write words from your heart...just for her.

Reminds me of the guy who gave his wife 12 roses to represent the good years of their 20-year marriage-- when she learned his reasoning she contemplated the bouquet and threw away four more roses.

By a happy travel coincidence we were able to celebrate our 20th in the Annapolis restaurant where we got married. We forced our teenager to sit at the table with us as we pointed out the setup, who had attended, where everyone had sat, and so on. While we were reliving the event we made lots of smooshy talk and put out the extra effort for repeated public displays of affection. Our teen was so grossed out that she could hardly stand to eat with us. However the wait staff overheard our discussion and calmed her down with a free dessert, so everyone was a winner.

What about sitting through your wife's favorite chick flick with her and giving her a foot massage? She'll appreciate your sacrifice/effort as much as the sensation...

A year's worth of maid service?

Hey! Let's not get carried away here!:D

I like the idea of the picnic lunch.

The restaurant where the reception was no longer exists, sadly.

Poetry? That'll take about a year for me. Maybe next year would be good for that.

Chick flick & foot massage I could do - maybe after the dinner.

The best one ever (anniversary) was the year after we retired & moved. Went out to dinner, came back home, she put on her wedding dress and we sat out on the back porch with a full moon rising and a glass or two of wine, talking.

Walt, I think you should recreate that anniversary from the year you retired. That sounds just dreamy. And I'm still lobbying for music... :)

A bed, a red blanket and many, many origami white paper hearts. Lay the red blanket out on the bed, take all the hearts to form a giant heart on the bed. Leave a trail of hearts from the door to the bedroom. Easy, cheap, romantic.

Candles, flower petals (or even colored paper cut out in the shape of petals), and a hot bubble bath waiting for her when she gets home. Again, a trail to the bathroom, candles lit and the bases surrounded by a different colored petals. Toss in wine for two and you are golden.

My two cents, anyway.

Ladies, any better ideas? She doesn't like travel much and after finishing a summer class that crammed a semester's worth of work into 30 days she's a bit stressed and tired.

Since she has been working so hard she might enjoy a "day off". Cook her a big breakfast and take care of any household chores for a day so she can sleep in, relax, and spend the day free to do anything she wants, even if that's nothing.

A bed, a red blanket and many, many origami white paper hearts. Lay the red blanket out on the bed, take all the hearts to form a giant heart on the bed. Leave a trail of hearts from the door to the bedroom. Easy, cheap, romantic.

Candles, flower petals (or even colored paper cut out in the shape of petals), and a hot bubble bath waiting for her when she gets home. Again, a trail to the bathroom, candles lit and the bases surrounded by a different colored petals. Toss in wine for two and you are golden.

My two cents, anyway.

Yes, yes, yes! That's great!

Sometimes she likes it when I cook breakfast but then says it puts weight on her. I can make a pretty good omelet.

I am too late for suggestions, but Happy Anniversary! I hope that it was a good day.

It worked out great. She enjoyed the card, the dinner and the basket of good-smelling stuff from Bath & Bodyworks.

And she put on her wedding gown.:smitten: Sooooo beautiful!

She enjoyed being with you Walt......:) May you have many more beautiful years together.....

Back
Top Bottom