Cost of a restaurant meal

The most expensive was an anniversary meal with wine and dessert at a restaurant that was recommended to us in Nelson BC. A pretentious place as it turned out. The food was good but not great and my DH didn't want me to even see the bill as he new I would be horrified. It was around $200. We usually have dinner out once or twice a month and $80 for two would be on the higher end. I guess I can go up to $100 for two with drinks before I start to squirm. We have an almost weekly breakfast date that runs $28 to $36 and is well worth it! Mostly we eat extremely well at home. Many is the time we've eaten out and it compared poorly to meals we make for ourselves.

Last edited:
Our annual spending for dining out is rather low as we tend to prefer preparing a good meal at home. We did a couple of higher end meals this last year, one was a great meal, but would not have done it without coupon savings, that one went just over $100 all in. And an $80 steak house dinner, good but not great. Finding that noon lunches at our favorite restaurants are a much cheaper way to enjoy, in some cases prices are about 30% lower for same food. And the bar if far less crowded :LOL:

DW and I have this on the to do list for this next summer, a road trip to Milwaukee’s Public Market & St Paul Fish Company for a highfalutin "Home of the World Famous $13.95 Lobster Dinner!" Of course, I expect out total bill will go a bit higher, with a few pounds of scallops packed in ice for the drive back home.

The most we've spent was almost $100 per person, but only a couple of times that I can remember and only because someone else chose the restaurant. Our tastes tend toward the local Mexican place where we get a good meal + tip for under $25 total for two.

We aren't drinkers and always have just water with our meals, even at home. But usually when we go out with other couples we end up splitting the bill, so we subsidize our companions a bit. But we just chalk that up to the cost of socializing. The only time I can recall refusing to do an even split was with a large group of players/family from a basketball team DD played on. We were meeting at a hotel for a weekend tournament and when we got there found out that everyone else was at a restaurant next door. The four of us had eaten sandwiches in the car so we didn't need a big dinner, but joined the group to socialize rather than sit in the hotel. The place had a soup and salad special for $8. DH and I split one special, the two girls split another (i.e. each of us had either soup or a salad). Water to drink. Everyone else was having entrees, drinks, some desserts. When the bill came the team mom announced it was $20 each-- so $80 for our two soup&salad specials?? I told her no, we didn't order that much so I was only paying half. She acted like that was a big imposition on everyone else, but I felt that $40 for a $16 ticket was plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I thought the OP was clear, not expense account meals or paid for by others.
I saw that, but also read some posts about meals observed, not "paid for by themselves". No matter..

My most expensive meal was one I couldn't afford, an unreimbursed business expense. Cost me a week's salary. As a meal, easily the most expensive. As a learning experience, I probably got off well. :)

Our annual spending for dining out is rather low as we tend to prefer preparing a good meal at home.....

+1

Not only are there very good, reasonably priced restaurants today, those of us who like to cook can buy almost any ingredient, fresh, without too much trouble, and create pretty good meals on our own. This thread makes me feel old, but I can remember needing cilantro for a recipe back in the day, and the only option was in the spice rack, dried, at $5 an ounce (did it taste like cilantro? No). Yesterday DH brought fresh cilantro home from Aldi, 50 cents for the bunch.

Last edited:
In October DH and I were on vacation in Hilton Head, SC with my sister and BIL. They had rented a condo and offered us the second bedroom and bath, so we stayed for free.

DH and I had planned to pay for a nice dinner in appreciation for them inviting us so we offered to treat on our first night there. It was a lovely seafood place and we had a great time. DH and I don't drink but my sister had a glass of wine. The total for the 4 of us was $175 and that included the tip. My sister and BIL were surprised and very appreciative.

That's a lot more than DH and I usually spend out. We don't eat out often but when we do it's usually under $60 for both of us.

Wife (then girlfriend) took me to Melisse in LA when I finished grad school in 2001. I'm not sure of the total cost but probably around $300 for both of us. We got free champagne because we knew the manager.

Normally we prefer relatively cheap (but good) ethnic restaurants (maybe $10-15 per dish/entree), or sushi and even some chain places (like CPK although we don't often eat there).

Back in 2007 we were celebrating our 30th anniversary in Montreal when the concierge at our hotel recommended "Gibbys" steakhouse in old Montreal. Great atmosphere and excellent food. The bill came to $350 for food and drinks for the two of us including tip.

Now that I'm retired we occasionally splurge on a nice dinner in Boston's north end and spent about $150 for the two of us.

Back in the corporate world I've been to dinners with customers where the bill exceeded $4000 for a party of 8. It was way over the top and I avoided these dinners whenever I could because I did not enjoy the company of most of the corporate folks and I felt it was a waste of money and totally unnecessary. When customers visited my plant I had lunch brought in from our excellent cafeteria:LOL:

On the trip I was on with the huge bill a couple of us actually started skipping dinners with the sales staff and going to a Pizza Hut salad bar. We just couldn't sit all day in meetings and then have 3+ course meals late at night like that multiple nights in a row (though none of the other bills were nearly that large).

We enjoy fine dining (our definition is about $100 for two, $70 with 2 for 1 entree coupon :)). But we enjoy KFC, cheap Chinese & Mexican, and ramen cooked at home just as much. We find that often they taste just as good as the "fine" restaurant food which are many times more expensive. It depends how hungry we are at the time, and what kind of eating mood we were at. :cool:

This thread reminds me. Quite often when we dine at a fine restaurant, waiter will ask what is the occasion. My favorite answer is "hunger."

DW just read the thread and asked me to tell you about our 55th Anniversary Party, a year and a half ago.
We had it at our very most favoritist Chinese Restaurant. A very nice place with a separate dining room. Of course it is buffet style, but very elegant new interior and an extraordinary assortment of foods... a nice make-for-you sushi bar and a large open Mongolian kitchen for stir fry. 80+ entrees and too many desserts to count. 15 seafood entrees, from salmon to stuffed clams and lobster, shrimp, crablegs and about 20 beef and chicken selections. Sometimes froglegs and often calamari. (no oysters, but fresh mussels)
Much of this is fresh made in the restaurant, and not the normal frozen Oriental restaurant fare.

So anyway... there were eleven of us, and DW asked to get the bill, though the kids (in their 50's) wanted to pay. It's their choice of restaurants when they visit, and because we go there so often, we're all on first name basis with the owner, cooks and staff. DW always cuts out the coupons, so $10 off for parties of 6 or more. A great time had by all and a special surprise by the owner... big birthday cake w/candles and the whole waitress staff lined up to sing Happy Anniversary in Mandarin, kinda like in "A Christmas Story".

A very fun day. When DW got the fortune cookies and bill, the total for 10 adults and one child was $84.26 with tax. A $25 tip and still under $110.

If you're in the area, it will be our treat. :)

Next time, will tell you about our wedding party. :dance:

Last edited:
There are so many good restaurants everywhere with innovative chefs who have a passion for cooking that don't charge premium prices for great food that no one " has" to spend megabucks for fine food anymore.

+1 At least, that is the case in New Orleans. Food is a Big Deal down here and competition is fierce. You can spend a lot if you want to, but it's not necessary.

I'm ducking as I write this....

We only go out 2-3 times a month, usually ethnic/cheap. But, 12-15 times a year, we go nice/nuts--over $150 per couple (bring our own wine, so corkage fee included, but I'm excluding the cost of the wine). Most expensive was last year: unadvertised fixed price/menu bash for 20 people; New Years Eve; 15+ course tasting menu (with drink pairings) at a high demand restaurant in our town. Ate very slowly from 8:30-1:30, for a tab (for two) of $850 after tax/tip. Outrageous, but we enjoyed our 30th anniversary.

Like most, we love to cook and do the vast majority of meals at home--albeit often from a frozen food bag during the week. Of course, the cost of what DW brings up from the cellar for those meals can make them expensive at times....

Last edited:
DW just read the thread and asked me to tell you about our 55th Anniversary Party, a year and a half ago.
We had it at our very most favoritist Chinese Restaurant. A very nice place with a separate dining room. Of course it is buffet style, but very elegant new interior and an extraordinary assortment of foods... a nice make-for-you sushi bar and a large open Mongolian kitchen for stir fry. 80+ entrees and too many desserts to count. 15 seafood entrees, from salmon to stuffed clams and lobster, shrimp, crablegs and about 20 beef and chicken selections. Sometimes froglegs and often calamari. (no oysters, but fresh mussels)
Much of this is fresh made in the restaurant, and not the normal frozen Oriental restaurant fare.

So anyway... there were eleven of us, and DW asked to get the bill, though the kids (in their 50's) wanted to pay. It's their choice of restaurants when they visit, and because we go there so often, we're all on first name basis with the owner, cooks and staff. DW always cuts out the coupons, so $10 off for parties of 6 or more. A great time had by all and a special surprise by the owner... big birthday cake w/candles and the whole waitress staff lined up to sing Happy Anniversary in Mandarin, kinda like in "A Christmas Story".

A very fun day. When DW got the fortune cookies and bill, the total for 10 adults and one child was $84.26 with tax. A $25 tip and still under $110.

If you're in the area, it will be our treat. :)

Next time, will tell you about our wedding party. :dance:

I'm not surprised this is your favourite restaurant. It sounds like a great family place. I'll be right over...... :LOL:

We have a couple of these places within walking distance. I'm amazed at the quality of the food combined with the price (or lack thereof). Our local Chinese buffet restaurants all have the fresh made sushi bars and mongolian bars. My DW claims the sushi bar at one of the restaurants rivals the fancy pants sushi places in the fancy part of town where she works (although the buffet sushi has a bit less fish/seafood, she says). One of the restaurants even has a pho bar where you pick your noodle, broth, fillings, egg (or not), steak (or not). All fresh made in front of you. And for $7 for lunch (a bit more for dinner), it's hard to beat what you get.

DH and I rarely eat out; we enjoy kicking back at home with good food from fresh ingredients and we both enjoy cooking.

We once went to London and found that a few friends from a travel board I was on would be there at the same time. One guy lived there and invited us to have drinks at his place and then suggested we go to Simpsons-in-Strand (where Gladstone and Disraeli used to eat) for dinner. Dinner, he said, would run around $100 pp. This was probably 10 years ago.

DH and I jokingly called it "spending our kids' inheritance night". We took a classic black cab past Buckingham Palace to his flat on the South Bank, which had magnificent views of Tower Bridge. Wow. After a few glasses of bubbly, we went to the restaurant. Magnificent atmosphere, gracious service, good food and good company. DH and I shared treacle pudding for dessert. I remember our friend took all the cash we put on the table and paid with his British Airways credit card. Hey, someone ought to get miles out of it and he'd certainly been a gracious host.

As we left the restaurant it began to rain. We headed for the Underground station and joked that it was past midnight and we'd turned into pumpkins again. Wonderful memories.

We have a couple of these places within walking distance. I'm amazed at the quality of the food combined with the price (or lack thereof). Our local Chinese buffet restaurants all have the fresh made sushi bars and mongolian bars. My DW claims the sushi bar at one of the restaurants rivals the fancy pants sushi places in the fancy part of town where she works (although the buffet sushi has a bit less fish/seafood, she says). One of the restaurants even has a pho bar where you pick your noodle, broth, fillings, egg (or not), steak (or not). All fresh made in front of you. And for $7 for lunch (a bit more for dinner), it's hard to beat what you get.
I'm not a fan of the buffet style Chinese restaurants in this part of the world. They look great, but way too often show up on the "I'm NOT eating there!" list on the local news "Behind The Kitchen" door expose of health inspection scores. No thanks.

We like mom and pop ethnic places, too. There are many local ones by us with great food and buffets or big lunch specials for $7 - $9 a person. We also use coupons, go out during happy hours, sign up for mailing lists, etc. I have a big collection of restaurant coupons and gift cards I keep in a folder, plus we use Entertainment books and restaurant.com. I'm usually the event planner for us so it is kind of a fun hobby for me to plan events like dinner and a play and not have it cost much.

I am not sure what the most expensive meal we ever paid for ourselves. We've never been foodies so probably $50 a person. That is our special occasion limit now and I don't think it was much different in past years.

Last edited:
DH and I rarely eat out; we enjoy kicking back at home with good food from fresh ingredients and we both enjoy cooking.

We once went to London and found that a few friends from a travel board I was on would be there at the same time. One guy lived there and invited us to have drinks at his place and then suggested we go to Simpsons-in-Strand (where Gladstone and Disraeli used to eat) for dinner. Dinner, he said, would run around $100 pp. This was probably 10 years ago.

DH and I jokingly called it "spending our kids' inheritance night". We took a classic black cab past Buckingham Palace to his flat on the South Bank, which had magnificent views of Tower Bridge. Wow. After a few glasses of bubbly, we went to the restaurant. Magnificent atmosphere, gracious service, good food and good company. DH and I shared treacle pudding for dessert. I remember our friend took all the cash we put on the table and paid with his British Airways credit card. Hey, someone ought to get miles out of it and he'd certainly been a gracious host.

As we left the restaurant it began to rain. We headed for the Underground station and joked that it was past midnight and we'd turned into pumpkins again. Wonderful memories.

Sounds like a great evening out!

I'm not a fan of the buffet style Chinese restaurants in this part of the world. They look great, but way too often show up on the "I'm NOT eating there!" list on the local news "Behind The Kitchen" door expose of health inspection scores. No thanks.

Yeah, there's that. I like the sushi/mongolian/pho bars because they cook the stuff right in front of you.

Probably about $100 when we went out for our 25th anniversary and ordered a bottle of wine. It was very nice for a memory, but we rarely spend more than $20 before tip in restaurants. On special occasions, we may spend up to $50, but it's not but once a year on our anniversary.

The only time I've ever had Mongolian BBQ was in Ulan Baatar. The place we went, BD's, opened up to cater to tourists who kept asking for Mongolian BBQ and no local places served anything like that because it is kind of a Chinese invention.

It would be too far back in ancient history for me to recall the most expensive meal I ever had. My husband and I did not really watch menu food prices after our student days but neither did we ever order expensive bottles of wine. Generally we had either a cocktail when we were seated or a glass of wine with our meal but never both.

Nowadays when I meet friends for lunch I have a $10-15 lunch tab with either water or iced tea as my beverage. Most dinners I have out (maybe once a month) are in Pittsburgh and my tab for one is typically $20-30 plus tip. I used to have a cocktail or glass of wine with dinner but I have eschewed this practice of late as I have 30-40 minute drive home after, often in the dark and the car must be retrieved from a parking garage.

DW and I enjoyed an anniversary dinner at L’Auberge Chez François in Great Falls, VA in the mid 80s. I think it was in the $125 range. A wonderful evening.

DD likes Italian food and it is not unusual to spend $70 - $80 for her and I including drinks and desert, but well worth it to find out what has been going on in her life.

It's the same story here. The county health department posts the results of restaurant inspections online so you can see not only the numerical number of violations, but what those violations are. Sometimes they're pretty picky, others the place should be closed.

I think the most we've ever spent was ~$150 for two including drinks and that was for our anniversary. For that reason I no longer order any drink stronger than tea or coffee. Once in a blue moon DW will have a glass of wine at a restaurant. On the rare occasions when we do go out it is usually in the $20-$30 range including tip. DW hoards 2 for 1 coupons and the like for those.

Back
Top Bottom