Equifax security freeze pains

tpcooper

Dryer sheet wannabe
A little over a month ago I decided to place security freezes on all my credit files. I send letters and checks for $7.50 (as TN requires) to each of the credit bureaus. TransUnion and Experian give me no trouble.

Equifax rejects my request, it said I didn't include required information, but did not say specifically what. Best I could tell, I had included everything on the list. But okay, I go directly by their letter and send exactly what they ask for. They reject it again.

I decide to try placing it online. I initially did it by paper because TransUnion rejected my online request for a security freeze.

So I fill out the form to place the security freeze online with Equifax. It goes through. But wait, it tells me to be sure to save the document below. I assume this document is supposed to include my PIN. There was no document below, the rest of the page was just white.

Now I look up how to get a "replacement" PIN. It costs $5 and you have to do it by mail. I guess I will just do it and send the check. I have never been able to get a real person at Equifax who knows anything about the security freezes. The only people I can get are to do a dispute over the phone.

Did I mention that for my mailed paper requests they cashed my check even though they did not place the freeze? I then paid $7.50 to do it online. I also had to send the request certified mail return receipt requested, so now I have spent over $30 on just the Equifax freeze if you include the $5 for a replacement PIN.

The question is, am I going to get the PIN or are they going to say I haven't sent in everything that is required?

Sounds like how my granddaughter (2 1/2) deals with not wanting to eat her vegetables. Just make it so miserable you finally give up. And these are the companies that control our credit reports. :rant:

I haven't done much programming recently, but I bet I could write a system that would allow easy and secure credit freeze and unfreeze processes online. I doubt it would take more than a week or so, even at my ER rate of working. They just don't want to give up control.

A little over a month ago I decided to place security freezes on all my credit files. I send letters and checks for $7.50 (as TN requires) to each of the credit bureaus. TransUnion and Experian give me no trouble.

Equifax rejects my request, it said I didn't include required information, but did not say specifically what. Best I could tell, I had included everything on the list. But okay, I go directly by their letter and send exactly what they ask for. They reject it again.

I decide to try placing it online. I initially did it by paper because TransUnion rejected my online request for a security freeze.

So I fill out the form to place the security freeze online with Equifax. It goes through. But wait, it tells me to be sure to save the document below. I assume this document is supposed to include my PIN. There was no document below, the rest of the page was just white.

Now I look up how to get a "replacement" PIN. It costs $5 and you have to do it by mail. I guess I will just do it and send the check. I have never been able to get a real person at Equifax who knows anything about the security freezes. The only people I can get are to do a dispute over the phone.

Did I mention that for my mailed paper requests they cashed my check even though they did not place the freeze? I then paid $7.50 to do it online. I also had to send the request certified mail return receipt requested, so now I have spent over $30 on just the Equifax freeze if you include the $5 for a replacement PIN.

The question is, am I going to get the PIN or are they going to say I haven't sent in everything that is required?

File a complaint with your state ASAP and detail out the mess. Otherwise those companies will get away with it.

I have never been able to get a real person at Equifax who knows anything about the security freezes. The only people I can get are to do a dispute over the phone.

If, somehow, you could get hold of a supervisor, that might improve your chances of success. They seem to be an order of magnitude easier to communicate with. I feel your pain.........it's like talking to the walls sometimes. Good luck.......

I thought I would update this for anyone else that ever runs into this problem and searches on this board for help. Neither Equifax nor the state were ever much help. I finally got it resolved on Friday, with the help of the Better Business Bureau, but it still took several exchanges with Equifax through the BBB.

I have not done a freeze but am considering it. I looked at each of the three credit agencies' sites. It looked to me like it could be arranged online.

It can be done online. The problem is they give you a quiz on your credit report information to prove it is you. Questions like "Which of the following streets have you lived on in the last five years?" I could never pass. I guess they know better than me... :)

Frustrating to have to go through this, and pay, just to keep them from giving out information about you.

Scam. If you would just quit bucking the system and permit them to keep re-selling your credit data and exposing you to all manner of identity theft risk, you would not be having this problem!

Back
Top Bottom