Realizing You've Already Seen a Movie

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I sure hope I'm not the only one this happens to. I'll be watching a movie, and not realize until about two thirds of the way through, that I've already seen it. Usually there will be some particular scene that I'll remember.

It happened last night with Singles, that came out originally in 1992, and Spy Game, that came out in 2001.

With Singles, it wasn't until Bridget Fonda was selecting a boob size that I realized I'd seen it. I wonder why that scene stuck in my head?

The first thing to go is memory....but boobs bring men back to life!

Eh, so I've heard....

Brings me back to my childhood. We'd be watching a black and white movie on TV, 45 minutes into it Mom would come out with her standard line, "I've seen this!" Of course she did, she saw every movie that came out between 1932 and 1941+. They went to see double features every week.

I don't watch many movies, so not really a problem. Now, with all the similar threads going on lately (we must have a dozen related to auto company bailouts) I certainly forget what I posted/read in which one, or by whom. But those threads have no breasts in them. I guess breasts are natures mental bookmarks for men?

Although, we recently re-watched Fargo, fully aware we had seen it years ago. I was amazed how much I had forgotten about that movie. Ya' Know?

-ERD50

Ahhh CJ, you brought back a memory... When I was a kid, we watched black and white movies on tv, uh because we had a black and white tv. :p

The first time we got a color tv I watched "The Wizard of Oz" (I had seen it many times before on the old set) I was so confused and delighted at the part of the movie where there was actually color. I thought it was a miracle!

Same thing with Oz for me - but I was kinda disappointed, maybe because I expected it the first time I saw it in color, and was anticipating the change.

IIRC, it is just an abrupt change from B&W to color. I was expecting that she would look out the window, and inside would be B&W, and outside would be color. I guess masking a few seconds of frames was beyond the capabilities back then? They did know how to mask though, I forget offhand what films used that technique back then, but I think it had been around a while. Maybe masking between color and B&W was just not do-able.

-ERD50

Yeah that was an old flick...like me, except I'm an old chick...:duh:

I've forgotten the details but the version I have of 1935's "The Little Colonel" is also mostly in B&W with a color section at the end--not sure if the colorized part was added later. I've been recommending this movie for anyone who fears a depression, not just because Shirley Temple dances on the staircase with the great Bojangles but also the resolution has a govt. intervention!

With Singles, it wasn't until Bridget Fonda was selecting a boob size that I realized I'd seen it. I wonder why that scene stuck in my head?

:D:D

Bridget Fonda was, and is, the poster child for "small can be beautiful".

Thank you Grandpa Henry, and to Bridget a special thanks for realizing that loading up your bra size would be a mistake.:cool:

The first thing to go is memory....but boobs bring men back to life!

Eh, so I've heard....

Apparently your theory is correct. They sure seem to work on at least one forum participant some of us had given up on for dead...

:D:D

Bridget Fonda was, and is, the poster child for "small can be beautiful".

Thank you Grandpa Henry, and to Bridget a special thanks for realizing that loading up your bra size would be a mistake.:cool:

;)

At least with Netflix there is a record of what you have ordered before.

My biggest retirement worry is that the folks using my old w*rk computer may be able to see what I'm renting. Oh what the heck, give 'em a thrill.

Re boobs in movies--I saw an otherwise forgettable movie recently that had the memorable line that "the eyes are the nipples of the face" :)

The response I was looking for was "Oh, yeah, this happens to me all the time, Al. Don't worry, you're not getting senile." So let's get with the program here, OK?

The response I was looking for was "Oh, yeah, this happens to me all the time, Al. Don't worry, you're not getting senile." So let's get with the program here, OK?
Al: this happens to me all the time. don't worry, you're not getting any more senile than i. and, it works to your advantage. a couple of weeks ago i was watching a movie that i had seen previously, remembered that i had seen it, and remembered that i had liked it; but i couldn't remember any of the details, especially how it had ended. as a result, i got to enjoy it all over again!

I don't think that has ever happened to me with a movie, sorry, Al. It does happen all the time with books, if that makes you feel better.

Don't feel bad, I watched a Netflix movie all the way through recently and didn't realize that I'd seen it before until DW pointed that out to me. I'm only 56.

I blame it on media over load. Our hard drives were never designed to receive this much input :confused:

I recall a cartoon "Arlo & Janis" several years ago: they were in a video rental store and he walked over to the counter with a cassette and asked "have I rented this before?".

Sorry Al , You are probably senile so you might as well go for a 8% no make that 12 % withdrawal rate and live a little !

Nothing to do with age Al. It's been happening to me all my life. Same thing with books. I frequently start a book only to realize 50- 100 pages in that I already read it. If I can't remember the ending at that point I just keep reading.

I sure hope I'm not the only one this happens to. I'll be watching a movie, and not realize until about two thirds of the way through, that I've already seen it. Usually there will be some particular scene that I'll remember.
ummmm..yeah yer losing it, man. :cool:
if i had a dollar for every movie i started and fell asleep on, stretched out on the ol' leather couch....zzzzzzzzzzzz
there are many movie endings i will never see. :(

It happened to me again today! I just got the movie Millions from Netflix and DW said "Uhhh...you do realize we already saw this don't you?"

:-[

OK, good, I'm not totally alone in this.

Back
Top Bottom