Bargain Computers: Consider Dell Outlet

headingout

Recycles dryer sheets
I recently bought a certified refurbished laptop through Dell's Outlet and thought I'd share the experience, for what it's worth. As a software engineer I generally buy higher-end business machines, from the major companies, with a service contract etc. I've owned dozens of computers over the years, all brands, but lean to Dell. This is the first time I've bought through their outlet. I got a Latitude that would have cost about $1700 new for around $1000. It carries the full new-machine warranty, which I already had to use it because the power supply arrived with a broken LED. Dell replaced that in 2 days, no problem. The machine also had one very minor cosmetic flaw, but has run like a champ for 2 weeks now. I actually prefered shopping on the Outlet because all the machines are preconfigured -- no wading through endless configuration screens. And there are lots of good deals ready to ship immediately. Recommended if you are in the market....

Thanks...this is rather timely since I'm considering getting a laptop...:)

I got a laptop from them a few years ago, only problem I noticed was it's missing a pixel.

I bought a brand new Dell Laptop for $499 at Best buy . It's pretty basic but I have no need for a high end machine . I noticed tons of great deals at Circuit City and Best Buy when I was shopping for one recently .

Note that Dell has two separate Dell Outlet websites:

Dell Outlet Home & Home Office

Dell Outlet Business & Education

You don't have to be a business or have a business account to shop the business outlet site.

The Dell Vostro and other business laptops (not loaded down with gobs of trial software) are only available on the business site. I purchased a "previously ordered new" (see the websites for definition) Vostro a few months back and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for adding those links. The Vostros look like nice machines to me, and the lean disk images (without the trialware), are a big plus.

I got a desktop system from the Outlet. Great price, and I couldn't find any indication it had ever been used (or even touched!) before I got it. Been running like a champ for 3 years now...

REW

Which Dell Vostro did you purchase? My son recently "confiscated" my Vostro 1420 laptop so I may have to concede defeat and buy myself a Christmas present.

2soon

Which Dell Vostro did you purchase?
I purchased the basic model - the Vostro 1000. It is used by DW around the house and me on the road to [-]feed my forum addiction[/-] surf the net. Don't know how well it would do for games and serious spreadsheet work, but it has been great for how I use it.

Back
Top Bottom