Transition from Desktop PC to Laptop?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Whenever I make the change from Windows 10 to Windows 11, I'm going to get a new computer. In the past I've built my own desktop machines and they've been fantastic computers for me. I did this because I could get a lot of machine for less money than the prebuilt ones, plus I could control the quality of the internal components. Nowadays, though, you can get a nice machine for the same or even less than building your own. For example, I've been eyeballing a Dell XPS 8950 of late.

But...

I have a friend that also has built his own desktops and I told me that several years ago he transitioned to a laptop with a docking station. He's running multiple monitors, along with a separate mouse and keyboard. He says this is the best of both worlds, the way to go, no more desktops for him. One USB-C cable runs from the laptop to the docking station and then every other peripheral gets plugged into the docking station. If he wants to go portable he simply unplugs the USB-C cable and walks off with the laptop.

For those of you that have made the transition from desktop to laptop, along with docking station, what do you like about? What don't you like about it?

Last edited:
I still prefer a desktop for the much larger monitor and I don’t need the mobility of a laptop (I could use my iPad or DW’s MacBook if necessary). That said, sounds like you’re considering a laptop with a docking station and larger monitor - that sure sounds like the best of all worlds, just more expensive than any comparable desktop or laptop alone.

Or pair up a desktop with a chrome book or tablet for the mobility needs, no plugging/unplugging.

For anything requiring a lot of power/storage (gaming, photo stuff) a desktop is going to usually edge out a laptop, but not for most uses, so it comes down to personal preference.

Or pair up a desktop with a chrome book or tablet for the mobility needs, no plugging/unplugging.

For anything requiring a lot of power/storage (gaming, photo stuff) a desktop is going to usually edge out a laptop, but not for most uses, so it comes down to personal preference.

I don't do much gaming, but I do a lot of photo editing and also the occasional video editing.

I don't have personal preference because I have scant experience with a laptop. I can't stand using laptop keyboards, but the docking station and separate keyboard would take care of that objection.

I presume a desktop would last longer than a laptop and be easier/cheaper to repair.

I hadn't considered a Chromebook/desktop combo. I have a Nexus 7 tablet but it's old and slow, though when it was snappy fast it was convenient for portability.

Lots to chew on here.

Last edited:
I still prefer a desktop for the much larger monitor and I don’t need the mobility of a laptop (I could use my iPad or DW’s MacBook if necessary). That said, sounds like you’re considering a laptop with a docking station and larger monitor - that sure sounds like the best of all worlds, just more expensive than any comparable desktop or laptop alone.

I'm intrigued with a dual monitor set up. I could go with identical 23" Asus monitors since I just purchased one of them. This would require moving from a dedicated computer hutch I currently use (won't accommodate two monitors) to (ironically) using an actual desk top for the laptop, docking station, two monitors, keyboard, etc.

Waitaminute...Qs Laptop has a desktop, and currently no laptop? Didn't see that one coming.

I used a docking station when I was working, both at home and at the office. Now I rarely even use my study where I had it set up, and when I do I just plug in a monitor and use it with my laptop monitor for dual displays. Not quite as easy to navigate as two side by side same sized displays, but that's ok for my purposes. I don't mind the laptop keyboard, and I always use a wireless mouse. If I did, I probably would get a docking station.

I really like the portability of the laptop. I use in at my kitchen counter, on the sofa, on my screened porch, etc. Yesterday I wanted to reference a web page while doing something in my car so I just took the laptop out to my garage and put it on the passenger seat.

For those reasons, I'm willing to put up with paying a little bit more or dealing with a little less power. I recommend an SSD drive since you're likely moving it around while it's on. Heat is another possible issue, but I use a cooling pad if I have it in my lap in the summer.

I have a docking station in my home office with two external monitors and a laptop, all supplied by my employer. I like the dual monitor setup so much that I often use my office for personal video calls or work that is made easier with multiple screens. For everything else I carry my tablet around the house, but when I retire and have to return the work equipment, I'll probably just buy another laptop, dock and monitors to replace my work setup.

I did that in the past and ultimately didn't care for it. Part of it was that I felt the notebook was just not as easy to upgrade. I mean for parts of it you really can't upgrade it. Sometimes you can (SSD drive or memory) but it is more of a pain and expensive.

The most powerful notebooks are those with 17" screens and they are heavy and not easy to take with you. When I had one I hated traveling with it.

That said - DH currently has a notebook and not a desktop. He doesn't have a docking station but does run an extra monitor in addition to the notebook monitor. He has enjoyed having it but I suspect that his next computer will be a desktop.

I just don't think anything compares to a desktop. (I run an Alienware desktop with 3 monitors -- on a stand -- and I also have a 15" Macbook Pro).

100% Laptop(s) for me these days. I haven't had a docking station since I retired 10+ years ago... Sometimes if I'm going to do a lot of spreadsheet work I'll work on my desk with a USB mouse plugged into the laptop. Now I do have a pretty big laptop/screen. Always connected wireless anywhere in the house that I want... Really not heavy and battery life is pretty dang good.

Actually, I've never missed having a deskstop machine or docking station.

Last edited:
The most powerful notebooks are those with 17" screens and they are heavy and not easy to take with you. When I had one I hated traveling with it.
I'm not sure screen size and power are related, but maybe it works out that way. I got an LG Gram 17 last year, and at 3 pounds, it's lighter than any 13 or 15" screen laptop I've had before. I'd definitely get it again. It's not cheap though.

I agree with your comment that laptops aren't as easy to upgrade.

I have my 13" laptop with the screen open next to my 27" monitor. The laptop screen just has my email on it, while the larger display is used for everything else.

It's nice to have the laptop open instead of using it in clamshell mode because I can just put my fingertip on the TouchID button to authenticate things when necessary.

+1

I'll never give up my desktop, but I augment it with a 17" screen laptop. It either sits on my desk next to my 32" monitor. When I want to use it with the desktop keyboard and mouse I plug it into the KVM switch. All desired shared storage items end up on NAS.

Then again, I have multiple desktops/laptops for various purposes, so I am far from normal :).

I'm not sure screen size and power are related, but maybe it works out that way.

I don't think they have to be related. But sometimes manufacturers only offer certain options on the larger screen size notebook.

All depends on how you use computers and personal preference.

For me, I prefer to use a desktop at home and of course, laptop when traveling (I use a laptop to remote into my desktop when traveling).

I like a full sized monitor, nice mechanical keyboard of a desktop and graphics. Yes, one can hook up a robust laptop with decent graphics to a dock and use a monitor and keyboard.

Other advantages I see in a desktop is if doing hardware maintenance and the dealing with large amounts of video files. I have a couple of desktops set up with hot swap drives so I can hot swap HDDs. Yes, I'm sure could just external USB drives on a laptop, but the hot swapping for me feels more convenient.

Oh, another thought that just came to mind ... backups. On one of my desktops, I have an internal 4TB drive partitioned into two 2TB partitions. I used this drive as my backup drive with Macrium Reflect that runs automatically every night. On a laptop, backing this way via external drives I'd think would be cumbersome.

For me, I don't want a laptop as in my experience the life expectancy of laptops is much less than desktops. Then in the PC world, upgradability might also be an issue.

We went from a desk top to laptop many years ago. Like the portability of the laptop, not just for travel, but around the house or outside on the deck.

But, Oh, those new Apple desk tops look very enticing!

No way for me to give up a desktop. I do have Intel NUC mini PC connected to keyboard, mouse and large monitor which perfectly fit all everyday needs. This is the most convenient way to use computer, in my opinion. There is also a laptop exclusively for travel although I find the tablet a bit better in this case.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet but it's old and slow, though when it was snappy fast it was convenient for portability..

I am more of a Desktop person but like to have something when in the chair watching TV. Speaking of old and slow i got an old HD8 Fire and it finally died. The new HD Fire are about the same as the old ones. I have ordered a 10.2 Ipad and hope it does not disappoint me. But the old Desktop wont be going away any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom