Wellness: lifting, interval cardio, yoga

windsurf

Recycles dryer sheets
Six months ago, my wife and I joined the local "Wellness Center" which is sponsored by one of the larger hospitals in our area. Until now, I had not been impressed by the group exercise programs offered by our tennis club and, earlier, Bally style health clubs we had joined. This place is different and it is simply and only b/c of the quality of the teachers (not all, but a few that are exceptional). I have lifted weights most of my adult life (no-brainer) but had neglected yoga and was in conflict over cardio having worn out hip and knee catrilage pounding the pavement with muscular and postural imbalances caused by (guess what) lack of something balancing like yoga. At this club, we have an exceptional spinning class leader and the finest yoga leader I have ever encountered. I won't bore you with te details on any of the specifics of yoga or spinning but, after five decades of fitness questing, I can say with confidence that these disciplines, lifting heavy things, running fast (or pedaling) for intervals, and contemplative posturing (not stretching per se), are the three pillars of a fit body (the fit mind is another topic but IMHO follows the fit body.

Good instructors make all the difference and really make you want to attend fitness sessions.

I read a book or 2 on keeping your brain healthy and the best thing you can do is keep your body fit. Neural pathways have a plaque like substance that build up over time, and good blood flow is vital to keeping this to a minimum.
Other things to do are everyday activities but with a twist such as shaving or cleaning your teeth wrong handed. (I've got pretty good at playing tennis and table tennis with my opposite hand).

That is all fine until his wife catches him, then his life expectancy is about 5 minutes! :mad::hide:

Only if he is not meditating on her big 'uns.:D

Otherwise wifey never knows the reason for the sly smile. In the great tradition of Rumpole of the Bailey, a good story is always handy. :flowers:

By the way, i finally had come up with an avatar, and I see that you beat be to it. Dang.

That is all fine until his wife catches him, then his life expectancy is about 5 minutes! :mad::hide:

Yup yup. BTW - nice Picasso avatar - about my favorite character & book...
"Don't stir it Sancho, you'll only make it worse"...

In real life, I am doing a fair bit of tilting at windmills and so I thought I'd be Don for a few days. Please, my friends of the forum, remind me that I do not have to fight all the fights, however good and noble they may seem at the time.

I am glad you like the avatar, though. It cheers me, somehow.

on the other hand, it may not be worth the effort

Paula.jpg

Cut her some slack. :) She is middle-aged woman showing a lot of unsupported breast. From where I sit she is looking pretty good.

Ha

Yeah, admit it, you guys all looked and noticed, no matter what--you just added a few minutes to your lifespans!

If ardor counts, I am gaining on Methuselah.

That old boy must have been a real horn-dog. :)

Ha

O heck where is CFB - now that we need him - with the beer can crushing Lady!

I never did warm to the taste of Foster's!

heh heh heh - :whistle:

From where I sit she is looking pretty good.

What was it someone here said about his dad telling him the best thing about growing old was there were no ugly women... or something like that?

What was it someone here said about his dad telling him the best thing about growing old was there were no ugly women... or something like that?

For sure there are no ugly boobs!

Like my high school buddy said when some dope was finding fault with a girl for having small breasts- "If they got nipples, I like 'em." :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom