FYI: The West Coast of Mexico this year

La Dolce Vita indeed! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to show these to DW, try to stir her adventurous spirit.

Regarding the mushrooms, I'm not sure what you should have done. They aren't dangerous, but can be overwhelming. They're wild enough at a Dead show or a camping trip (safe and comfortable environments for me). In the situation you were in, no telling what you would have experienced. It would have been intense for sure, probably very enlightening. I'd have done it (certifiably loony), DW definitely wouldn't. Very interesting story. Again, thanks.

You are welcome, Harley.

Before we left on this trip, I had previously decided 'no way, Jose!' and felt comfortable with my decision. We were with some very conservative friends (in their 60's), and the husband was actually regretful that he didn't try them. I did a double-take, but respected his reasoning...

He felt like he had passed by a 'once in a lifetime' experience with a native healer with decades of experience in the mountains of Mexico... He almost convinced me!

Whew.

Akaisha
Authors, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

For those of you who may be interested, here's a look at a place Where Life Is a Breeze.

Or if you are the more adventurous type, you could take A Magical Mushroom Tour.

This adventure took me back to a memory circa 1960? A TV program series "One Step Beyond" detailed purported stories of psychic phenomena. While the bulk of the episodes were dramatic "reenactments" of such phenomena, there was one episode in which our "host" (John Newland - sort of a precursor to Rod Serling) went to a spot in Mexico and partook of magic mushrooms. This was long before the general public (me especially at age 12 or so) had a clue about mind altering substances - well, other than alcohol and, for the truly adventurous (you know who you are!) pot.

Any who, I recall a very serious discussion of the experiment in terms of the schrooms' effects and their "spiritual" ramifications. I recall laughter and also very serious "contemplation" brought on by the "sacrament".

Thanks for the "trip". Hadn't thought of that in years and it all came rushing back - without any help from substances.:rolleyes:

I always live vicariously through your adventures. Thanks again!:greetings10:

Koolau
Any who, I recall a very serious discussion of the experiment in terms of the schrooms' effects and their "spiritual" ramifications. I recall laughter and also very serious "contemplation" brought on by the "sacrament".

I cannot tell you how serious the locals took the use of the 'sacred children' or the 'sacrament' here in this town of Huautla. Often it was mentioned to us that the mushrooms would show us 'the truth.'

It was 'the truth about what' that we were concerned about... -- the meaning of Life? Life after death? How we would die? The truth about our marriages? The truth about our families? our future? I mean, the idea was daunting... :cool:

Thanks for the "trip". Hadn't thought of that in years and it all came rushing back - without any help from substances.

You are welcome. Aren't memories wild? My understanding of memories is that they are recorded chemically in our bodies. That's why, when some intense memory is triggered, it can be really powerful - just like we are there once again. We actually 're-live' them.

I always live vicariously through your adventures. Thanks again!

You are welcome, and thank YOU for following our journeys.

Be well,

Akaisha,
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Hi Ed

We decided to buy in PV. We stayed away from gringo enclaves. We are the only owners in our condo who are not Nationals. We have made friends with everyone. We provide free "cocas" to the workers building next door and have let them use our power. We employ a local handyman and maid and pay them well (sorry Akeisha) but 200p for 5.5 hours is way above average.

So far so good. But let me offer a warning. We have friends who have lived here for 12 years. They bought the cheap lot in the country and built the cheap mansion. They eventually sold it and moved to a townhouse on the golf course. It was lonely because they were out of sync with their neighbours (they were the gringos on the hill).

You can choose to blend in or go to a gringo ghetto. (e.g. Ajijic versus Chapala). They may both be viable but the experience will be very different. Rent first before making a capital investment. It is worth the extra money.

I am not sure I can make link here but I will try anyway:
Casa Vista Guadeloupe Photo Tour
our little piece of heaven, now totally renovated.

Hi, Keith,

Love your place!

We found that Manzanillo and Acapulco have hills above them with lots of places to live and dynamite views, too. I have lust in my heart.

Cheers,

Ed

Kcowan
We employ a local handyman and maid and pay them well (sorry Akeisha) but 200p for 5.5 hours is way above average.
No need to apologize, Kcowan. 36 Pesos an hour is considered pretty cheap by Ajijic standards. 50-60 Pesos and up is considered the norm there, along with some support for the families: School clothing, books, medical help, loans, quince de anos parties and dresses, and so on.

Every area varies in what is an accepted price so PV may be different than in my location of Chapala.

Rent first before making a capital investment. It is worth the extra money.
Absolutely. Solid advice.

You have a beautiful place. Congratulations!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Billy/Akaisha -

I've seen your tales of the 200 baht massages for 2 hours in Thailand. Have you encountered any similarly inexpensive deals (and good massages!) in your travels in Mexico? I'm thinking a little spa/massage time may be a required element of our next mexican adventure.

Hi Fuego,

In our location of Chapala, there were massage services available - more than we have ever seen previously.

The going prices when we were there were from 120 Pesos an hour to 450 Pesos an hour. (Currency Conversion Chart). Even though this is far more money than we pay in Thailand, it is still a bargain by US standards.

I am grateful that I learned Thai massage on our last trip there, so Billy gets massages from me and we don't have to pay for them in Mexico... now... if I could just get a trade situation going for my own massages! :whistle:

Akaisha

I am grateful that I learned Thai massage on our last trip there, so Billy gets massages from me and we don't have to pay for them in Mexico... now... if I could just get a trade situation going for my own massages! :whistle:

thanks for the response! At $9 to $33 per hour, why make him do any work? ;)

Sounds like some good bargains to be had on massages in mexico, too.

Akaisha, would you RV in Mexico?

Hi Akaisha, I have some friends that go down to San Carlos every winter. I was contemplating driving along the coast from Tucson and stopping in for a visit with them.
Would you RV down in Mexico? It seems pretty safe and the roads seem good. I don't have a toad, so that may limit me?

Thanks!
Jacqueline

Hi Jacqueline,

First, let me apologize for the delay in responding to your question. I'm a bit backlogged in my correspondence at the moment :(

Secondly, just for your information, Billy and I don't drive in foreign countries because it is so affordable to take public transport or to hire a private driver. All that being said, we know lots of people who RV in Mexico and have been doing so for years.

In our most recent trip to Melaque, we visited with people at the local RV park who come yearly and love it. You might also take a look at a link we have on our Lifestyle Choices Page about RV Park Reviews for the US, Canada and Mexico and chat in their forum. I'm positive your questions would be answered by those who have far more experience on this topic than we do.

Hope that helps.

Be well, and again, I apologize for the delay in responding!

Akaisha,

Back
Top Bottom