For Those Considering an ER option...

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Most folks here are already on the ER death march but we occasionally get a request from someone that is considering a trip to ERland. This piece from Yahoo has some pretty good considerations.

When companies are looking to reduce the size of their workforce, they sometimes try to entice workers to give up their jobs through buyout offers or early retirement incentives. At first glance, it might seem appealing to get a cash bonus or a year's salary for not having to go to work. And buyouts generally seem more humane than mass layoffs. Still, you should consider early retirement offers very carefully before signing on the bottom line. Here are 10 things to take into account:
http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-reti...-Retirement-Offers?mod=retirement-preparation

Early retirement incentives are often popular with older workers; my dad jumped all over one in 1992.

But with most of our 401Ks and IRAs in the toilet, I don't know how many people can afford to take it this time around.

Per current regulations - the max ER incentive that can be offered to federal employees is 25k. Wouldn't be enough (after taxes) to influence my decision of when to go.

(just thought I'd add that little tidbit to the thread - it's really academic to me anyway as the chance is zilch of any being offered an ER incentive for my particular occupation)

Back
Top Bottom