How much are you paying for your TV, Internet, Phone

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
In trying to cut expenses, the one item I am having a hard time with now is my cost for Satellite TV, DSL and phone service. I can not seem to get it below $192.00 a month without sacraficing my only pleasures these days, which is TV and Internet. My satallite constitutes the majority of it at around $109 a month. I know I could cut it down by eliminating Premium stations and HD (high def) but I am having a hard time giving up my few area's of entertainment. I ask myself, is it worth gaining $40.00 a month, and do without?

So far, I have not been able to make that decision. So I was wondering about the people on this board, being the savers they are. What most of you are spending on these things. I really don't have any choices in phone or internet (unless I want to pay more for internet $60 by going to cable) The only thing I can cut on is the TV.
I know some of you are not big TV watchers, but I enjoy it.

$60.51 Cox Cable bill ($15.55 for bare bones basic cable TV and $43.99 for medium speed cable internet, plus tax and fees)
$23.27 for AT&T landline
$34.30 for Verizon cell phone

The first two would probably be what you are interested in, and they total $83.78/month. Not the cheapest in the world, but it works for me.

Have you considered substituting Netflix for your movie channels?

Last edited:
As of tomorrow, when the CABLE Phone goes it will be (Monthly):
TV Basic Cable $16.85 (currently in withdrawal from "extended basic").
HS Cable Internet: $34.00 (Will not go).
Cell Phone: $10.00 (Piggybacking on DD Friends and Family)
Total $61.85 a month.

Last edited:
Cable (HBO and Showtime) plus extended channels 109.92
Phone (land line no long distance) 30.74
Internet (DSL) 34.95
Cell Phone (two lines piggy-back on family plan) 19.98

Total 195.59

If things get tight, first step is drop one movie channel and part of extend service, save ~17.00.

28 Cell phone
20 DSL
48 Total per month

Cable TV - somehow I get that free and watch it on my computer

About $80 for TV, but I am leaning toward getting rid of it in the fall and just relying on the antennas I threw up last spring.
$30 per month for Internet (DSL)
Land line and cell phones about $65 per month

Just went up - $142 - cable, VIOP phone, medium speed internet.

Now this month dropped $48/mo T-Mobile and started AT&T with a $100 prepaid card - used up my $10 bonus on recent 8 day trip.

Heh heh heh - electronic toys will be one of the first areas to cut should I decide I really can take it with me or perhaps getting younger instead of older as the clock ticks on. :cool:

Last edited:
I dropped cable several months ago after going about a decade watching upwards of 40 hrs a week. I miss it but not that much. I watch network tv shows on the internet.

Cable: $0
Internet: $49.30
Cell Phone: $38.55

Total: $87.85

Comcast Cable + high-speed internet $140 (includes NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings, which add about $30 per month - a necessity :))
Land phone for local calls $23
MCI Card for long distance $17
Two cell phones (one T-mobile prepaid) $20

Total = $200

Cell phone is $140/mo for 4 phones & 700 shared mins
I use calling card for long distance calls from both locations and it costs me less than $10/mo

Northern IL
Comcast very very basic TV pkg $17/mo
Comcast low speed internet $25/mo
AT&T basic phone $17/mo

Southern IL
DSL $30/mo
Phone $30/mo
Satellite TV is provided free of charge for being my parents caretaker while they snowbird in FL

For us:

Basic Cable + Internet $104
Landline phone $ 29
Cell phones (2) $17

WRT the cell phones, we used to have a Cingular/ATT plan with rollover minutes etc. for $59 per mo. However, we found that we almost never used them (i.e. -- less than once a month), so we switched to pre-paid phones. So long as we load $25 on each phone every 3 months, the balance is retained. If you don't talk on the phone much, it is the cheapest thing around.

...just relying on the antennas I threw up last spring.
Yeah, but now you'll need to puke up a digital converter box.

$60 for cable and Internet
$25 for telephone
$6 for cell phone
--------
$91

$65 for basic cable and HS internet
$23 Vonage
$38 Cell phone

CommieCast $25 for extended basic included in townhome Rent
CommieCast Economy Internet $25, I own my cable modem
Tracfone ~$20 per 2 to 2-1/2 months

Dont Have DSL options in my area

All-In-One package - $167/month for hi speed Internet, security + fire alarm and 911 notification system, basic cable TV, land line telephone.
Cell phone - $76/month for 2 person plan

$105 total for home land line, DSL, and cell. I use rabbit-ear TV.

I think the breakdown is something like: $55 cell, $20 land line (no long distance), $30 DSL (but they have frequent promo discounts if I call and ask - currently it's $15/mo for the next 6 months).

I have TimeWarner Cable TV ($62/month) but are thinking about switching to DishNetwork. They have a special for $10 for 6 month and $30 thereafter. All channels HD. DISH Network - 1.888.825.2557

Another change I recently made: I switched from standard RoadRunner (High Speed Internet) to RoadRunner light, saving 50% ($25).

Cable TV (including HBO/Encore/Starz/Max) + High speed internet: $127.
Cell phone: $81.
Skype (unlimited local/long distance/international calls): $10

Local company (ACS) bundled DSL internet, local phone, 100 free long distance minutes: 64.18 monthly.
My cell phone, used seldom, is a Tracfone. I haven't ever used up the minutes, and need to research the cheapest way to renew. But it's pretty cheap.
No cable tv - have roof antenna and converter box to get the local channels, and I accidentally get a few that I shouldn't (e.g. Telemundo).
I get DVDs for free from the library. They have movies as well as tv series. I can't stand to watch commercial tv anymore except SNL and 30 Rock. There is cable tv at the gym if I feel the need for a particular program.

160 bucks for DISH, phone and DSL. Wonder if I can negotiate, tell em I'm going to Cox or Direct TV, perhaps they'll throw in some HBO or something to keep me on the line. Anyone negotiating?

Jug

Comcast cable (HD, DVR, no premium channels) plus internet $137/month, tracfone $11/month, Qwest landline $25/month.

Coach

Comcast high speed cable internet and HD cable with no movie channels $134.77

T Mobile cell service about $60.00 a month...

No land line, SCREW AT&T:mad:

Comcast "bundled" services; loaded cable, DVR, high-speed internet, telephone ~$215/mo. Prepaid T-Mobile cell, less than $10/mo.

Basic cable TV and cable Internet --$65
cell phone service --$45 (from reading all the responses I think I'm overpaying since I use it rarely)

Back
Top Bottom