Help, looking for a magazine article

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm posting this here because of the incredibly diverse interests the members here have. I'm trying to find a company or person that was referenced in a magazine article I read while waiting for DW in a doctor's office recently. The article gave me an idea for a gift, but the idea didn't formulate until later, and I have no idea what magazine it was. Since it was during her recent major illness, I'm not even sure which doctor's office it was. When I get back in town I might run by a few, see if I can find it.

The article was about taking a bunch of individual photos of family members and having an artist use the faces, but paint a group portrait of a situation that never occurred in real life. It was tres cool. They took pictures of about 10 people (multi-generations) including even a dog and created a picture of all the people hanging around at a family barbecue near the water, or something like that. The faces were recognisable, but not necessarily the absolute lifelike aspect of a lot of portrait painters.

DW has been missing her parents a lot recently (deceased), as well her old dog and also been bummed by not being right around DD/DGD, and SIL and family all the time. I thought something like this would make a nice Christmas present for next year. I've googled the hell out the concept, and can't find the article or the artist/company. I've found some similar, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

If any of you read the article and know where I can find it, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you think you know of the company, that would be good too, but whoever they are aren't advertising well on the web. I've looked at more than 20 websites matching on various searches using the terms above, and no luck. TIA.

I tried a search of "virtual portrait artist" but didn't get anywhere.
Are there any art schools or galleries nearby? Maybe call and describe what you are looking for. You could possibly commission a local portrait artist or student who can work from photos.

readers guide to periodical literature?

I think you should be able to find somebody to do this. I googled "group portrait painted from photos" and got a lot of hits that looked promissing but I didn't explore them. Fine tune the query until you find some that work for you and converse with the artist by email. You might try emailing Karen Sperling sp? (artistry.com) to see if she does these or knows someone who does. She teaches how to use the Painter application to create art from photos - she is very good.

Here is a picture that came up in my google search. It looks like the kind of thing you want but I couldn't figure out who did it:

CarouselGroupPortraitLores.jpg

Or heck -- if lousy work is OK do it yourself. Here is one I did of kids in our roller-hockey team when I fooled around with Painter for a few weeks (note: I could barely draw stick figures a few weeks before this):

main.php

online community of Adobe Photoshop (PS) users is at
https://www.photoshop.com/
There may be ads there for established graphic art businesses.

Photoshop has some interesting Artistic and Sketch filters that transform images to look like manually drawn artwork. Any decent graphic art firm should have folks who use PS for a living.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to run around to the various doctor's offices (all in the same building) next week, see if I can recognise the magazine. I've seen a bunch of sites in my dozens of google word combinations, including that Frontastic one. Not quite what I want, but in the general vicinity. Same with the one Donhff found. Sort of halfway between the two styles. Ha! I sound like Nords' daughter, only one choice for me!

No way I can draw my own. My artistic skills drawing-wise limit me to flowcharts and coloring books.

If I find what I'm looking for I'll let y'all know. It really looks like a good gift idea. Of course, I have no idea what the price would be. Maybe she'll be happy with a nice flowchart.

I tried some searches, but no luck. You could also try photoshopping something like this. Here's one where I added myself to a family gathering (preferable to actually attending).

photoshopped.jpg

You could look for a local graphics artist to do this. Or go to a place like Worth1000 and see if anyone can do it for you.

I tried some searches, but no luck. You could also try photoshopping something like this. Here's one where I added myself to a family gathering (preferable to actually attending).

That's pretty damn funny, T-Al. You do stick out like a sore thumb, though.....I know it had to be better than attending :)

Back
Top Bottom