Archiving PMs

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
Is there a simple way to archive private messages (incoming and outgoing)? I fully understand that the high cost of server storage (about 3 cents per terabyte) requires that we have a limit, and that the 100 message limit is luxuriously large, but I reached the limit of my 1 cent worth of storage about 3 years ago and would still like to archive, rather than delete, some of the previous traffic.

The kludgy answer is to cut and paste each message into a word doc and save them on my machine, but this takes a while and none of the envelope date is maintained. Is there a tab somewhere in vBulletin that will allow me to set up a storage folder on my own machine?

Thanks for any assistance.

PS: To anyone sending me a PM--sorry that the mesages are getting bounced.

At the bottom of your pm screen there is 3 different options on how you would like to download your pm's. Then you can delete them.

At the bottom of your pm screen there is 3 different options on how you would like to download your pm's. Then you can delete them.
It looks like all the contents (message body, envelope data, etc) from all the messages get consolidated into a single large file, and aren't retained as individual entities. This is the solution?

Are the any recomendations between the three types? Maybe someone has an Excel template that sorts the CSV files into recognizable entities again? I'll search around, it would be excellent if Firefox had a plug-in that would retain these vBulletin messages int heir native form in a folder in my machine.

If I just sent Andy a dime (or clicked on the "I Hate George Soros"linked page 20 times), could I get storage space for a hundred more PMs?

If I just sent Andy a dime (or clicked on the "I Hate George Soros"linked page 20 times), could I get storage space for a hundred more PMs?

I never gave Ol'George much thought until his head started bobbing around on my page. Now I do hate him. :)

Ha

3 cents per Terabyte!?!? Where? I can cut our backup costs way down at that rate!

I have increased the limit for PMs to 200 for all members with 10+ posts.

3 cents per Terabyte!?!? Where? I can cut our backup costs way down at that rate!

I have increased the limit for PMs to 200 for all members with 10+ posts.

Super. Thanks very much.

Now--can we go back to the old software?:)

How do I know it is time to go to bed?

I read your thread title as "achieving PMS" :whistle:

'nite,
mews

Back
Top Bottom