How often do I need to use my devices to no be in storage?

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I admit I'm not good at removing batteries I put in devices for storage but I do know that I should so I own that.

But what about things not in storage but in ready reserve? I have some LED lanterns ready for power outages. They get used occasionally but not often. We had an outage earlier this week and one of two was dead because the batteries had leaked. I was actually able to ressurect it but what is the point of having a backup if it fails when needed?

How often do I need to use/exercise my batteries to keep them from leaking?

For devices like this I either keep the batteries separated from the device or in the device but reversed. An example being the pencil flashlight I keep in the glovebox of the car, on the few occasions I need to use it I simply pop the batteries out and put them in the correct way. Done this for many years and it seems to stop them leaking.

I also store items with the batteries removed. Never had a battery leak then.

Replace the alkaline batteries with low self-discharge rechargeables or lithiums and the leak problem goes away.

Replace the alkaline batteries with low self-discharge rechargeables or lithiums and the leak problem goes away.

+1

A benefit of going low discharge rechargeable :cool:.

Yep, for things that have to work after years on the shelf I spring for Energizer lithium AA batteries.

Battery size adapters let the above work in C or D cell applications.

This seems like something that should be on one of those lists of things to check monthly (or every 2 months). Check/recharge batteries. I should do that...

I keep a lot of spare batteries as well but they sometime leak into the container I keep them in. I don't remember this being an issue when I lived in Arizona and kept them in the refrigerator. But I've heard they should not be stored in the refrigerator. Maybe this is battery manufacturer advice to maintain demand.

I'll try the lithium ions. Seems like they should be rechargeable. Is this the case?

Back
Top Bottom