Question about minor insurance fraud

bdotma

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi,

I'm a new member here, I joined after seeing discussions about insurance fraud. Sorry if I misplaced this topic.

Anyways, I would like to understand what constitutes as insurance fraud and related penalties under the given scenario.

After leaving the window open during a cold winter storm, water pipes burst in my housemate's unit (who rented from a landlord). If the landlord purposely reports on the claim that the water pipes burst due to the outside temperature, without admitting that the tenant had left the window opened, are the landlord's actions considered insurance fraud?

The fact is that my *housemate's actions (leaving the windows opened) caused the water pipes to burst, and not according to what the landlord had claimed. Basically, I would just like rat out my landlord (for reasons not need to be discussed). Would insurance companies take actions against my landlord if I blow the whistle, while having that housemate testify?

Are my landlord's actions legal?

Fact-The insurance company covered half the cost of damage.

*Edit: This happened one year ago;and I misspoke by saying roommate- he's my housemate.

Thanks.
-B

Hi,
Basically, I would just like rat out my landlord -B

Your roommate should pay to repair the damage, refunding anything the insurance company paid to the insurance company.

You're lucky you have a great landlord. If you were my tenant, I would make you and your room mate pay for the damage and if you fail to pay, I would evict you. You got quite a nerve I see.

You're lucky you have a great landlord. If you were my tenant, I would make you and your room mate pay for the damage and if you fail to pay, I would evict you. You got quite a nerve I see.

As much as I agree with you that my house mate is at fault, the fact is that he filed a false claim and the insurance company paid out.

1. While it's too late to evict us becase the lease expired, evicting us would lead to a court proceeding -and we could have raised the issue on insurance fraud at any moment.

2.My room mate actually did reimburse the landlord for the other half (sorry I should have mentioned earlier). However, the point is whether or not the landlord committed an illegal act by filing the claim.

3. This landlord is not great, previous tenants at other renting properties (all female) have complained about his unannounced entries. Likewise, the same occurred with us before the incident. The renting unit is a house. Extent of damage: housemate's floor damaged, causing ceiling damage to another room mate dwelling below. (The treatment of this other room mate is another area of discussion).

Thank you for your responses! Please note that I am not trying to seek legal advice on this forum.

Welcome to the Early Retirement Forum. Interesting first post. Maybe tell us about yourself, and your goals other than ratting out your landlord for filing an insurance claim after you and your roomate [-]vandalized[/-] damaged his property.:whistle:

You could try just googling "your city tenant." Where I live there are places you can drop in for tenant information and advice, fees are on a sliding scale, not more than $40.00.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. :greetings10: Are you retired or planning to soon?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom