Exercise and back pain

miller514

Confused about dryer sheets
For those of you with lower back pain, do you find it helps or hurts to incorporate exercise? I have received conflicting opinions and am just curious of the opinions of those who actually live it.

Back pain has multiple causes. The right treatment, if any, depends on the cause of the pain.

If you have a slipped disk pushing on a nerve root, exercise may be a bad idea. In other situations, it may be helpful.

I don't have a slipped disc. I do have degenerative disc disease and mild scoliosis.

Here is what I know:
* Failure to exercise leaves me with muscle pain in the lumbar area of my back
* Walking daily, swimming 3 times a week, and a good dose of stretching or yoga leaves me pain free (also improves range of motion, general muscle strength, and endurance)

I had been a runner for the last 35-40 years and had to quit running last year because of back pain. I now do just biking, swimming and light weights and although my back pain isn't gone completely, it's alot better. Based on my experience, I'd say that depending on what kind of back pain you have, you can taylor your exercise.

I did yoga for a couple of years and it helped my back alot. Then about 1-2 years ago, the yoga instructor at my health club was changed and she was probably too advanced for me and that actually caused me more back problems. So if you take yoga, be careful who you choose for the instructor. Also, I believe that are different types of yoga to choose from. For me, the most basic yoga classes with more stretching worked the best. As far as swimming goes, I think it has helped to keep my back more flexible, plus it's great aerobic exercise.

The right exercise helps me. I can have slight low back pain on occasion, usually aggravated by sleeping funny or walking a lot on concrete. I find stretching exercises, as in yoga or Pilates, help as does stretching on my stability ball. I just got over a bout of pain in my shoulder. My doctor felt it was due to an impingement condition of some sort or another(tendinitis or rotator cuff inflammation). I did 12 weeks of physical therapy twice a week and what a difference! Almost completely better. I continue to do the exercises they showed me almost every day.

If you have a slipped disk pushing on a nerve root, exercise may be a bad idea. In other situations, it may be helpful.
Heh...this is my problem in my lower back....a rotten disk.

It took a long time to figure out what I should do in the exercise department. If I tried something and it hurt, I stopped....I can't bear that kind of pain. :nonono:

I found working my upper body with resistance works well. I can work my thighs and calves too, but I have to use less weight and watch my repetition. Sit-ups, push-ups....out of the question.

When I've had back pain, for me doing exercises that strengten the stomach helped.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the advice. I have never been a swimmer or into yoga, but perhaps I should give both a try and see if they help.

+1 on yoga & stretching.

I have occasional pain in my lower back and find the postures that twist your spine while you're lying on your back to be very helpful in alleviating the pain in a day or two.

There was another thread previously about the benefits of using an inversion table to help relieve back pain:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/inversion-table-for-lower-back-pain-36662.html

I bought a cheap inversion table (about $120) from Walmart 4-5 months ago and use it occasionally. I figured I could quickly spend $120 going to a doctor so why not give the inversion table a try first. It seems to help but I have no proof that it's really working or I'm just getting a placebo effect. My only proof that it's working is that I sometimes feel better after using it. Before I bought mine I read lots of reviews on the internet about inversion tables and many people claimed to get some relief using one.

It's been 10 years since the last post on this thread, but since we're kicking around the idea of purchasing an inversion table does anyone have any input?

I've considered one many times. Mostly haven't pulled the trigger because of space issues. Sis-in-Law swears by hers, and it's felt great the times I've used it back when people used to visit each other.

I recently listened to this podcast. Dr. David Hanscom, an orthopedic spine surgeon, talks about relieving back pain. It's a bit over the top, but a very interesting solution to pain. The interview is also in writing in case you prefer to read than listen. Here's part of one of his answers to his specialty and background.

"I trained in a place called Minneapolis, Minnesota, which is considered one of the top Spinal Deformity Fellowships in the world at the time. I came out of the fellowship on fire with the zeal to do surgery pretty much in everybody. I spent eight years being a very aggressive surgeon. I studied a lot of complex spine surgery, but I noticed that my back pain surgeries weren’t working very well."

He goes on about when he got chronic back pain and how he figured out the best way to resolve his pain. Then he started suggesting his new method to patients. Pretty interesting and it might help.

https://www.integrativepainsciencei...surgical-spine-care-with-dr-david-hanscom-md/

My own experience with an inversion table was not beneficial and in fact hurt myself. Purchased one due to back issues including sciatica. I was in my mid forties. Perhaps it was just me, but I think it strained already hurt tissues. My chiro felt it could help, but past a certain age he would be concerned.

So I drag it from home to home and let it gather dust in the garage.

My own experience with an inversion table was not beneficial and in fact hurt myself. Purchased one due to back issues including sciatica. I was in my mid forties. Perhaps it was just me, but I think it strained already hurt tissues. My chiro felt it could help, but past a certain age he would be concerned.

So I drag it from home to home and let it gather dust in the garage.
I've had back pain for just over 10 years, I had a spasm and pain down my leg, doc diagnosed it as a herniated disk and gave me prenosone, muscle relaxants and pain pills. Two weeks later I returned and reported I'm just now not crawling from bed to couch. He was surprised and said he thought the prednosone would have my up in 3 or 4 days.
A year later, I got an MRI to find out what was wrong, I had a herniated disc, just as the doc said.
At the end of 2018 I decided I'd had enough and went to a surgeon, after tests he said, we see nothing to tell us where to operate to solve your pain.

I recently started incorporating squats into my daily 3 mile+ walk. I do as many as 5 sets of 20 on a good day. After a time of this, I had 10 weeks of absolutely no pain. Then I started physical therapy for my shoulder, one of the stretches caused me to arch my back and before I knew it I was having back pain daily. My shoulder is better after 6 weeks of PT.
I've stopped the stretch that caused the back arching and just hoping I can get back to no back pain, with excerices.

Try Volteran Gel that just because across the counter. It and lidocaine lotion together works wonders for anything that hurts.

Regarding squats and back pain, I think a full flat footed squat stretches your lower back more than a squat on your toes, maybe because your upper body has to lean forward more for balance when your feet are flat on the ground. I'd been warming up before squatting anyway, for my knees, and I became even more careful when I figured out that back issue. My deep knee bends consist of about 10 reps, each being lower than the last, and I like to warm up my legs a little even before that. When I do them after my recumbent exercise bike (yes, I still use it despite the problems, more carefully than ever) I'm even more careful. I didn't even do the final full squat once. Yesterday I think I did and I'm OK. I'm constantly experimenting.

Regarding squats and back pain, I think a full flat footed squat stretches your lower back more than a squat on your toes, maybe because your upper body has to lean forward more for balance when your feet are flat on the ground. I'd been warming up before squatting anyway, for my knees, and I became even more careful when I figured out that back issue. My deep knee bends consist of about 10 reps, each being lower than the last, and I like to warm up my legs a little even before that. When I do them after my recumbent exercise bike (yes, I still use it despite the problems, more carefully than ever) I'm even more careful. I didn't even do the final full squat once. Yesterday I think I did and I'm OK. I'm constantly experimenting.
My squats are flat foot, I start each by sticking my butt back and my arms out front. I only go until my thighs are level with the ground.* I try to keep my knees in the same plane as my toes in reality just a little forward of my toes.

* could go deeper, but I've been told that is bad for your knees, However I wonder if that is more when you are using weights.

Talk to your doctor, of course.

I'm 51 and overweight but otherwise healthy. The last few years brought a variety of aches and pains in my lower back, lower side, shoulders, neck, legs, etc. While it is very tempting to not exercise or lift weights because of the pain, I find that a regular program of lifting weights results in the aches and pains go away after a few weeks to a few months.

I do the Planet Fitness 30 minute workout cycle three times a week. I also think the step exercises help with lower back pain. Core strength seems to help in particular with back pain.

The converse of being stationary and minimizing activity by sitting on the couch and watching TV results in the aches and pains coming back and or slowly increasing over time.

I'll add that aches and pains for me were also a dietary issue. About two years ago, I noticed I was having a lot of pain and inflammation all over. I finally decided about six weeks ago to go gluten free, and I've noticed that the aches and pains also showed improvement due to that. My blood pressure is also down about 20 points. I'm also probably going to start minimizing or eliminating sugar and reducing carbs, as those also seem to cause pain for me. I'm also probably going to be adding more fruits and vegetables to my diet to get more antioxidants, which I think might help with fatigue and pain.

The main caveat is injuries. If you're injured and try to lift, you could make things worse. So if I'm injured I actually still try to lift, but I'll modify the exercise to avoid further damage. I do think that lifting weights, when carefully done, does help avoid injury, so if you can manage to get into a good rhythm it does create a bit of a positive feedback loop.

My back will start to hurt if I forget to yoga for a few days. I woke up with a backache today and have a nice on line yoga class planned for this afternoon.

I'll add that aches and pains for me were also a dietary issue. About two years ago, I noticed I was having a lot of pain and inflammation all over. I finally decided about six weeks ago to go gluten free, and I've noticed that the aches and pains also showed improvement due to that.
Yes, my 10 pain free weeks had some overlap with the 3 or 4 months when I was doing a strict Keto diet, I weighed everything I ate to keep track of carbs. It's been in the back of my mind to go keto again to see if it helps my back.

Maybe this is the kick I need!

My squats are flat foot, I start each by sticking my butt back and my arms out front. I only go until my thighs are level with the ground.* I try to keep my knees in the same plane as my toes in reality just a little forward of my toes.

* could go deeper, but I've been told that is bad for your knees, However I wonder if that is more when you are using weights.

You are correct in that you should never squat with your weight on the balls of your feet. It will throw your weight into your knees and stress them. It is bad for your knees regardless of using your weights or not. Not good. They should be done with your feet flat and your knees should not go past your toes. You should also never do deep knee bends if you want to save your knees. Thighs should be no further than horizontal to the ground. Going past the horizontal will only stress your knees.

To make it easier and so you don't lose your balance try doing the knee bends while holding on to the kitchen counter.

Another method to learn a safe alignment is to simply and slowly sit down on your dining room chair. (head up and eyes forward) Do not flop down but lower yourself slowly. Then sitting on the front edge of the chair with your feet shoulder width apart and heels no further forward than the front legs of the chair lean forward until you feel your weight press strongly into your feet. This will keep your knees behind your toes. Keep your head up and facing forward. Arms out front with palms up. Then simply straighten your legs. Up you go. Do not rock forward to stand up. If you have to rock forward you are not aligned yet. Lean forward just a little more. (Just a little more and keep your head up!) Try again. (no rocking forward). Then "rinse and repeat".

If you are older and more sedentary and your legs are not strong enough to easily stand up with correct alignment then place your hands on top of your knees with the finger pointing inward 45 degrees. Then push down with your arms while straightening your legs.

I have successfully taught this method to seniors in my health recovery Tai Chi class for 16 years who had not been able to get out of a chair but were able to do it the first time. It is the same recommendation I taught for 30 years in my Human Anatomy/Physiology classes.

If at any time you feel pain while doing any exercise then STOP. Your body is telling you so listen to it.

It's Physics. Use it to your advantage. Keep your knees safe!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Re: the above.

Since COVID and no longer going to the gym, I have been working out using a web site/videos that I first heard about from someone on this site. There are lots of squats in the various workout routines, They always emphasize weight on the heels and never letting the knees go beyond the toes. At 75, I take their guidance seriously.

Back
Top Bottom