An interesting article on spending...

LARS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
... needs vs. wants vs. loves. We all go through a decision process in making a purchase, the article quantifies that in a handy matrix. I know that historically I've not been rigorous enough in this regard and so have ended up with a lot of "crap" (albeit nice "crap") in my life and closets:

Surefire way to convert $$ into happiness - CNN.com

Pretty much warmed-over stuff paraphrasing Your Money or Your Life, but still worth reading.

I agreed with this passage:
I've found that real diamonds give me not one whit more satisfaction than fake ones. If you're scandalized by this confession, real diamonds must matter to you. For you, wearing even the nicest zirconium may feel like a shameful lie. I don't understand this, but I accept it.

On the other hand, when my golden retriever's knees gave out, I paid $12,000 for their surgical repair without a second thought. Even a cursory financial assessment would reveal that this dog produces no useful goods or services whatsoever, and that instead of having him bionically enhanced, I should have whacked him over the head with a shovel. But Bjorn is to me what diamonds are to whoever wrote that song: a girl's best friend.

The idea of "psychic value" is straight from YMOYL, though I don't mind hearing it repeated. The matrix is interesting, but the idea of "loving" stuff seems strange to me and maybe dangerous.

I really liked this:

Today vast numbers of smart people are pursuing chunks of your $700,000 (or whatever that number is in 2010 dollars). They may lead you into all sorts of less-than-ideal financial decisions

That's something that should be trumpeted from the rooftops.

Here's another, IMO better, recent article about needs and wants:

» addition by subtraction :mnmlist

Original or not, it's good advice.

I am a big believer in self imposed cooling off periods before any non-trivial purchase - it always amazes me how many things I do not buy when I just take a few days to think it over.

I generally agree, though I think "LOVE but not NEED" could be a slippery slope. I know quite a few women who claim to LOVE their 100+ pairs of shoes.

Yeah this article reiterates what some other articles have stated: That is, it is relationships and experiences that bring you lasting happiness, not material things.

I liked the first article very much, but the second one that Onward posted really resonated with me, as well.
I tend to do exactly as it describes, find new items I need to do whatever it is that I want--accessories for the hobby.
Good reminder that I think I need to print out and put by the computer at home.
Thanks for both of these!

I tend to do exactly as it describes, find new items I need to do whatever it is that I want--accessories for the hobby.

I've found accessorizing for a hobby is usually more fun than the hobby itself!
10799104v2_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

...but the second one that Onward posted really resonated with me, as well.
I do this also, gear up for whatever I am going to do. But I have a different take on it than the author does. As long as your hobbies are fairly stable, money spent this way will usually not be wasted. In fact, I think it is fairly efficient spending. My main hobby is dancing. Going to classes is expensive, and I have found that my experience and that of many others is that you really don't remember much of it. You need to start this way, especially to meet others. But afterward, DVDs are the answer. A partner, a wood floor, and some well chosen DVDs and you can lift your performance and enjoyment way beyond what it would otherwise be, and you also get social reinforcment for your skill. A third person to film you occasionally also helps very much, as you can look at you and your partner, and compare to the quality Argentine dancers in your DVDs.

Also, when I lived with my family and two sons I bought or made a lot of high quality barbells and safety gear, including a squat cage. One year of gym membership would have cost more, and it benefitted all of us a lot, as well as gave us something interesting to do together. Same with tennis- I used the same raquet for years, but it was very good one- Yonex RD7. And I had it restrung often.

Probably everything I have ever spent on hobbies for myself and family would be less than a one week family trip to Disneyland, and IMO it was much more valuable.

Ha

The last paragraph of the article is the best.

Personally I spend next to nothing on the accessories of whatever I do for joy. Example: DW and I have a Y membership. She swims, same bathing suit as going to the beach. I work out in weight room and gym, old sweat pants, beat up T shirt.

My kayak is hand built by yours truly, no special clothing, just shorts, flip-flops, an old floppy hat and ratty T shirt in summer, jeans and warmer shirts in late fall early spring. Camping in an old trailer.

It is the activity that bring joy not the expensive accessory crap.

I don't know...much of the second article just seems to leach all the enjoyment out of life. It is very drab to only think of having only the things that we "need."

You can really get down to a really barebones existence that way, but does it really bring joy?

I do agree that one can go overboard on buying the accessories to do something. In the worst case you buy all the accessories rather than actually doing the activity. In my younger days there were a couple of times that I bought the accessories then found out I didn't really like the activity that much. That was a mistake.

But, for activities that I know I enjoy doing and will do the accessories can add a great deal of enjoyment to life (yes, I could only check books out of the library but I get a lot of enjoyment from buying books that I reread and from having an e-reader).

I liked the first article more. I found useful the concept that for things you need but don't love buy the cheapest you can but for things that you love buy the best that you can. Obviously this can be taken to an extreme. I do love fast powerful computers (that example resonated with me) so I do tend to buy higher end but I always yearn for but never actually buy the highest end gaming computers. And there are things that I need and don't love where it is more economical in the long run to buy something that is longer lasting even if it isn't initially the cheapest.

Kats, I see your point, but for those of us who profess to "gear up" for whatever strikes our fancy, it is a useful caution. I don't think I really need most of the stuff I've bought to outfit the boat, or all the hoops I own for hooping, or the shoes for pole dancing...I could have scrimped a bit more and still gained the same utility. And camera gear, do not get me started on that pricey hobby!

But, as Ha said, a good DVD can be very helpful, especially when learning something new that takes a lot of practice. I think moderation is easy with some things, but harder with others. Like beer. :)

This is obviously a very personal balance issue for people. It will probably change as folks go through different phases of their lives, too. I know that I have recently entered into a waning phase. I am cutting back on things I don't need, use, or want.

For instance, with possessions - any time I can identify an item that I don't get any joy from having, I ditch it. I used to keep it around, "just in case," or because I "got a good deal on it", but now I realize that whatever good deal I originally got on that item has long since been negated by the additional burden its presence has imposed on my life. I've had to clean it, store it, pack it, unpack it, yell at the kids for breaking it, fix it, store it somewhere else, etc... and why? Just because I own it? No! I can throw it out, give it away, recycle it, whatever, and thus never have to spend my energy worrying about it again. It's a very liberating feeling.

I love to learn and am good at it. So, I tend to cycle thru hobbies. I get into the intitial stages, learning about it, researching and doing it for a while. Then the thrill wears off and I need to find something else to keep my mind active.

Luckily, I can usually Ebay my old hobby stuff so I don't lose all that money.

That fits me too.

Not so much this year, but in past years I've went rather overboard buying clothes and preparing for vacations. Why oh why do I feel I need to look better for complete strangers than I do with people that know me.:blush:

I also bought a reformer a couple of months ago for my at home Pilates sessions. I took 6 private lessons (3 more to go) at $50 per lesson. With my hearing I had to go the private route. Anyway, I figured buying the reformer and using books and DVD + my lessons will get me started and in the long run will save me a little money. So far I like it well enough that I hope it will pay for itself over time.

Yep...fits me to a tee.:D

Not so much this year, but in past years I've went rather overboard buying clothes and preparing for vacations. Why oh why do I feel I need to look better for complete strangers than I do with people that know me.:blush:
Do you know my DW?

(Are you my DW? :cool: )...

Oh, and I love those fancy travel clothes--wrinkle free, quick dry UV protection, convertible pants, you name it! Little laundry soap wafers, travel sized items, special packing cubes, camping towels. Yep, all of it!
Ditto for specialized stuff for the RV and boat--nesting pots and pans, Tervis tumblers, travel grills, tables, etc.
sigh...yes, we've got that disease. In triplicate.

Some good points made on this topic. Here is another point of view: As retirees we have a fixed (mostly) amount of money go spend. Why not try to maximize total happiness(utility) from spending this fixed amount? Maybe this is what people are saying here but to me it makes most sense to spend the big bucks ( given the overall constaint) on the fun things. For us the big bucks go to cars and travel.

I've found accessorizing for a hobby is usually more fun than the hobby itself!
This reminds me of the following passage from the 1980 book Flying Airplanes: the first hundred hours, by Peter Garrison:
One feels inclined at the onset of one’s novitiate to purchase a lot of equipment that is supposedly needed by pilots. Typical items include large chronometers with concentric dials crowded with numbers; digital watches giving Zulu time; fancy sunglasses; aluminium computers that can figure out drift angle and Mach corrections; electronic calculators specially intended for pilots; chart cases; plastic place mats made of aeronautical charts; aeronautical cuff links and ties; copies of the inescapable poem High Flight printed on imitation parchment with burny edges glued to a piece of wood similarly damaged; “pilots’ belt buckles”; magazine subscriptions; and, as they say in the ads, much, much more. None of this stuff is worth a damn. Beginners are persuaded to persuaded to buy the items in the belief that flying is going to be a complex, specialized, demanding activity that will require them, or that all pilots have them. There may also be an element of vanity involved, and the primitive notion that when you possess all the paraphernalia of a pilot, you are a pilot….

So much for equipment. We are a nation of compulsive buyers, and the temptation to equip ourselves for every activity is almost irresistible. So if we want to go out into the wilderness we buy hundreds of dollars worth of down bags, weightless backpacks, lunar boots, transustantiated foods, and titanium cookware only to meet on the trail a whistling man with a dog, a ranger who has lived there all his life who is on a three-day, eighty-mile circuit of cabins with an army surplus bag on his back, a sack of rice, some cans of soup, and a package of Oreos. He is wearing sneakers. It is the same with aviation. A beginner spends a hundred dollars on a lot of gadgets and only later, slowly, does it dawn on him that his instructor, who has four thousand hours and flew Crusaders on carriers, has nothing but a Timex with a broken band in his pocket and a ballpoint pen in his shirt.

I can relate to this...between the horses and cross country skiing, I can spend quite a lot. But I do keep busy all four seasons by having these two very enjoyable hobbies. And I live in a place that supports both hobbies as cheaply as possible. Unfortunately, in the case of horses, cheap is still expensive! I can't help myself though; I am smitten and always will be. I think when I can no longer ride, I will still have them just for the pleasure of watching them...horse around ;-)

We are a nation of compulsive buyers, and the temptation to equip ourselves for every activity is almost irresistible.

Wise words! I would go even further and say that one of the things that distinguishes us as Americans is that our first, instinctive response to any problem is, "What can I buy to solve this?"

Back
Top Bottom