Gary Taubes' Newest Book

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Why We Get Fat & What To Do About It is being released today.

Building upon this critical work in Good Calories, Bad Calories and presenting fresh evidence for his claim, Taubes now revisits the urgent question of what's making us fat--and how we can change--in this exciting new book. Persuasive, straightforward, and practical, Why We Get Fat makes Taubes's crucial argument newly accessible to a wider audience.

Taubes reveals the bad nutritional science of the last century, none more damaging or misguided than the "calories-in, calories-out" model of why we get fat, and the good science that has been ignored, especially regarding insulin's regulation of our fat tissue. He also answers the most persistent questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? What roles do exercise and genetics play in our weight? What foods should we eat, and what foods should we avoid?
(some) Pricing can be found here:

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It

I hope it is easier (less work) to read than the last one... with as valuable data.

I think Taubes made a mistake with his first book. He didn't follow what is, for me, the most important rule about writing:

Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em, then tell 'em, then tell 'em what you told 'em.

Instead he just starts telling 'em. There's a good part at the end where he summarizes what he said, but that should have been the first thing in the book. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake in his new book.

Another new book:

Amazon.com: The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused It? How Can We Stop It? (9781907797002): Zoe Harcombe: Books

says the same thing that Taubes has been saying. Here's a video by that author:

YouTube - The Obesity Epidemic - TV Taster

Another new book:

Amazon.com: The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused It? How Can We Stop It? (9781907797002): Zoe Harcombe: Books

says the same thing that Taubes has been saying. Here's a video by that author:

Outstanding Video. Thanks for posting.

That bitter pill -- "Throw away everything you thought you knew because everything you think you know is wrong" -- reminds me of how difficult it must have been (must be) for those behind the Iron Curtain when the USSR collapsed. Something I am struggling with right now and I am a member of the choir.

(I should mention that I didn't go into the LC thing to lose weight... although I am not, by any means, disappointed having done so.)

I'm still stuck back on the old calories-in vs. calories-out theory. I watched the video above, and I've read some of Taubes' newsmag pieces (though not his books), and I'm just not persuaded. It may be that insulin spikes and all that typically stimulate appetites with the result that we tend to over eat, but I am not a slave to my appetites. Whether or not I get hungry, I can choose to eat less, and when I do, I will lose weight. It really does work.

Here's my response to Calories In/Calories Out:

You say that it's just "calories in/calories out," and you're 100% right. But I'm going to give you an example that I think will make you realize, that while true, that law is actually irrelevant to weight loss, and that all calories are not equivalent.

Let's say I gave you a pill to eat every morning. This pill contained only four calories. However, this pill affects your hormonal balance, and it makes you ravenously hungry all the time, and also quite lethargic. Perhaps it's related to your thyroid, but that doesn't matter for this example. What matters is that it makes you hungry and sedentary.

As a result, you are going to gain weight. The pill is only a few calories, but you have gained weight because it has made you to eat a lot more food and move around less.

Has your "calories in/calories out" thermodynamic law been violated? No, because, as a result of your extra eating, you have taken in a lot more calories, and expended fewer. But because of the nature of these calories that you've eaten, namely those four calories in the pill that affects your metabolism, you have gained weight. If you were to stop taking that four-calorie pill, you'd lose weight.

In other words, calories in/calories out is true, but not helpful in understanding weight gain or loss.

By the way, in a similar way, eating lots of carbohydrates can force your body to store energy in fat cells, which in turn forces you to eat more and expend less.

Let's say I gave you a pill to eat every morning. This pill contained only four calories. However, this pill affects your hormonal balance, and it makes you ravenously hungry all the time, and also quite lethargic.

It is that lethargic part that got me involved. The older one gets (starting around 40, I believe :D), the harder it is to burn those calories. The last thing you need is a drag on your energy. Carbohydrates (Sugars and Starches) create just such a friction. Eventually, you reach an age where it becomes impossible to prevent weight gain... no matter how much you try to "starve" yourself.

Anyway, I am only a member of the choir... all I know is I feel better -- physically and mentally. I will leave it to Gary Taubes to do the research as to why that is so.

Let's say I gave you a pill to eat every morning. This pill contained only four calories. However, this pill affects your hormonal balance, and it makes you ravenously hungry all the time, and also quite lethargic.
I think I follow that, and it does seem to get to the heart of Taubes' ideas. Now, my point is that I am not some sort of plant-like entity whose behavior can be predicted from my hormonal balances. I can take your pill but avoid eating, even though ravenous. It's yielding to one's appetites and eating that makes one fat. But if we can contrive to reduce our appetites, so that will power is not required for weight reduction, that should work, too.

I can take your pill but avoid eating, even though ravenous. It's yielding to one's appetites and eating that makes one fat. But if we can contrive to reduce our appetites, so that will power is not required for weight reduction, that should work, too.

Exactly. If you don't have to fight the "hunger monster," Life is so much better. And if all it takes to eliminate that urge is to not eat sugar and white things, then why not take that road... unless you are committed to the "macho" thing.

I've done a fair amount of reading on this subject, which makes me an expert on the internet! :LOL:

If you have to fight back ravenous hunger, you are destined to fail, which is one reason why many/most "diets" don't work. Replacing unhealthy carbs - sugar and grains - with more "healthy fats" provides better satiety, as well as triggering different chemistry in the body.

As usual, some of the paleo and/or low-carb folks carry things to their absurd extreme (the internet again). But there's a fair amount of research to back it up.

In summary, I like the "eat real food, not too much" mantra. Get your carbs mostly from veggies and fruits, with minimal starches. Ditch the sugar, industrial oils, and grains. Eat butter, not margarine. Dispense with the "Special K", and eat eggs and uncured bacon. Dump the skim milk, and drink half-and-half. Take fish oil if you can't/don't eat grass-fed meat and fish. Simple, really...

Oh, and [-]have more sex[/-] exercise, because it's fun, and helps keep you active and healthy, not because you want to lose weight.

I love the Oxbridge accent of the narrator.

Whatever she says is good enough for me. :)

Ha

I put a reserve at my library. They do not yet have the book, but already 32 people are in the queue. I think low carb is slowly gaining traction. An old friend of mine who has been a vegetarian for years recently began buying grass fed meat and butter, and is laying off the linguine.

She is attractive, but has always been dieting and struggling to change from a cute plump woman to a cute svelte woman. She went to far as to have surgery to take some fat off her tummy with no long term improvement. It will be interesting to see if she gets better results with low carb. She is a disciplined person, but diet and exercise have not worked for her.

Ha

I've done a fair amount of reading on this subject, which makes me an expert on the internet! :LOL:

If you have to fight back ravenous hunger, you are destined to fail, which is one reason why many/most "diets" don't work. Replacing unhealthy carbs - sugar and grains - with more "healthy fats" provides better satiety, as well as triggering different chemistry in the body.

As usual, some of the paleo and/or low-carb folks carry things to their absurd extreme (the internet again). But there's a fair amount of research to back it up.

In summary, I like the "eat real food, not too much" mantra. Get your carbs mostly from veggies and fruits, with minimal starches. Ditch the sugar, industrial oils, and grains. Eat butter, not margarine. Dispense with the "Special K", and eat eggs and uncured bacon. Dump the skim milk, and drink half-and-half. Take fish oil if you can't/don't eat grass-fed meat and fish. Simple, really...

Oh, and [-]have more sex[/-] exercise, because it's fun, and helps keep you active and healthy, not because you want to lose weight.

+1 To me, this is about so common sense as you can get. :)

But does this mean I can drink heavy whipping cream in my coffee instead of half and half? I hope so...

Orchidflower;1017311But does this mean I can drink heavy whipping cream in my coffee instead of half and half? I hope so...[/QUOTE said:
Of course. But, as I said in another thread: Calories do count... no matter what the Atkins people tell you.

Whip Cream.JPG

Half n' Half.JPG

+1 To me, this is about so common sense as you can get. :)

But does this mean I can drink heavy whipping cream in my coffee instead of half and half? I hope so...

Yes! I do, btw...

Of course. But, as I said in another thread: Calories do count... no matter what the Atkins people tell you.

At 50 (k)cal per serving, if one drinks a lot of coffee, it might add up. One the other hand, cream doesn't have the lactose content of "whole" milk or half-and-half.

Dairy is a controversial subject in paleo terms...

It's become a small indulgence now. I'd rather give up something else than heavy whipping cream in the coffee, and I only drink one cup so....:blush: But I had to ask.

Earlier today I had a half cup of heavy whipping cream with a half-teaspoon of DaVinci sugar-free eggnog syrup, and some nutmeg. It's perfect eggnog. Eggnog used to be a twice-yearly indulgence for me (TGiving & Xmas), but now I have it frequently. I also had macadamia nuts and roasted, buttered pecans. And of course, bacon and eggs for breakfast.

I've done low carb dieting a lot of times. I feel good, and it burns fat so - without exercising - I get leaner. But I get bored without carbs. So right now I'm just trying to eat smaller portions in general and not worry too much about what I'm eating.

I should add that I never eat fast food so my diet is probably pretty healthy over all...

Maybe some day I'll have the will power and/or common sense to stick to a lower carb diet all the time - but I'd have to basically give up bread.

Thanks though - I'll read the book. The previous one was very interesting, I own it.

This is what I ate yesterday. This was one of those "Refrigerator Harvest Soup" days. The soup was so good that I had two big (Huge!) bowlfuls. More telling, however, is we had two twenty-year old GrandBoys visit and they each had four bowlfuls.

Soup.JPG

Food Log.JPG

Goal.JPG

Hej Ron- can you do my yesterday analysis?

bkfst: 3 large eggs, pat butter, 2 tbsp onions, i oz. chedar cheese

snack: tbsp natural peanut butter

lunch:12 oysters, 20 mussels, (2) 4 oz glassses white wine

Supper: 175 gm spinach, 2tbsp bacon grease, 1 pat butter, 1 large egg, 1 oz cheddar cheese

Don't do it if it is too much trouble Ron.

Mike

I get bored without carbs.
I've found good substitutes for most things, and am not at all bored:

Carb Food, Substitute
----------------------
Chips, Pork Rinds
Pasta, Dreamfields Pasta
Waffles, Same made with CarbQuik
Pancakes, Same made with CarbQuik
Biscuits, Same made with CarbQuik
Chocolate, Chocolate made with artificial sweetener or Chocoperfection
Cranberry Sauce, Cranberry Sauce made with artificial sweetener
Beer, Michelob Ultra
Milk, Michelob Ultra, A&W Diet Root beer
Bread, Oopsies
Cake and Cookies, Waffles with 0-carb syrup and butter or brownies made with CarbQuik
Mashed potatoes, Cauliflower mash with lots of heavy cream and butter

For other things that have no near-equivalents, there's the satisfaction of eating lots of bacon, butter, cream, and rib-eye steaks.

Nice video Al - thanks for posting.

Hej Ron- can you do my yesterday analysis?

bkfst: 3 large eggs, pat butter, 2 tbsp onions, i oz. chedar cheese

snack: tbsp natural peanut butter

lunch:12 oysters, 20 mussels, (2) 4 oz glassses white wine

Supper: 175 gm spinach, 2tbsp bacon grease, 1 pat butter, 1 large egg, 1 oz cheddar cheese

Don't do it if it is too much trouble Ron.

Mike

Recognize that your "Goals" are, no doubt, different than mine. Oh! Yeah. I had to guess at the weight of an Oyster and a Mussell.

Food Log.JPG

Goal.JPG

Recognize that your "Goals" are, no doubt, different than mine. Oh! Yeah. I had to guess at the weight of an Oyster and a Mussell.
Thanks! I have no idea what a medium oyster weighs either. The wine was much drier than a Riesling, so the carb count was actually probably a little lower. I am surprised at the fairly high amount of sodium, but I guess the little buggers do come straight out of the sea. Gives me an idea of how salty much food is though, because raw oysters do not taste particularly salty.

I am also surprised at the low calorie count. No wonder it is easy to right weight on this food, as although I felt hungry right before every meal, I did not feel hungry at any other time during the day.

Thanks again Ron! Really interesting software.

Ha

I am surprised at the fairly high amount of sodium, but I guess the little buggers do come straight out of the sea. Gives me an idea of how salty much food is though, because raw oysters do not taste particularly salty.

Yeah, I am having a difficulty understanding the Salt thing, also. My Salt intake is much greater than I want it to be and I don't add Salt to anything or eat much (if any) processed food. on the other hand, there is some who think a higher salt intake is needed for a LC diet -- something to do with Water retention and "waste" functions.

Back
Top Bottom