Wanna be Cool? When you are hiking or biking?

This stuff, anything to keep you cool, is all the rage here right now, as we still don't have enough power to keep everything incl all the a/c running. Factories are taking turns with down days in the middle of the week and working weekends instead. The a/c in offices is set to 82-83F which doesn't seem like a very high figure, but when you factor in the 90% humidity it can really be uncomfortable.

DW has been [-]suckered into believing [/-]convinced that these products are actually "really" good at cooling you off from the intense heat and humidity. Then she tried them and found out the hard way that they are little more than very strong menthol preparations...which will burn your skin if you use too much or too often. I came home one day and she had hives all over her face from using it before, during, and after a shopping foray. She admitted that maybe she went a little overboard with it. I tried it once, at DW's insistence, and found that it only made me feel hotter after the initial 60 seconds of cool (from a cool product hitting my warmer skin...). Heck, I should start putting water in bottles and selling it as a cooling tonic. Might be able to FIRE a little sooner...hehehe.

R

That is dissappointing! How about the jacket? Do you know anything about it? I already asked my SO to get it for me for my birthday, but that may be some fad too...

This stuff, anything to keep you cool, is all the rage here right now, as we still don't have enough power to keep everything incl all the a/c running. Factories are taking turns with down days in the middle of the week and working weekends instead. The a/c in offices is set to 82-83F which doesn't seem like a very high figure, but when you factor in the 90% humidity it can really be uncomfortable.

DW has been [-]suckered into believing [/-]convinced that these products are actually "really" good at cooling you off from the intense heat and humidity. Then she tried them and found out the hard way that they are little more than very strong menthol preparations...which will burn your skin if you use too much or too often. I came home one day and she had hives all over her face from using it before, during, and after a shopping foray. She admitted that maybe she went a little overboard with it. I tried it once, at DW's insistence, and found that it only made me feel hotter after the initial 60 seconds of cool (from a cool product hitting my warmer skin...). Heck, I should start putting water in bottles and selling it as a cooling tonic. Might be able to FIRE a little sooner...hehehe.

R
Rambler, we still haven't forgotten Japan and wish the best for all over there. Some ideas for keeping cool (which you have probably already tried) are frequent cool showers, ice water at hand, dressing lightly, minimizing physical activity, and closing curtains/drapes/blinds during midday to keep the sun out.

Hope you can stay reasonably cool.

Back
Top Bottom