what currency or credit card would you use?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I traveled to california a few years ago and had trouble with travelers checks. I was wondering, what your suggestions would be of what currency or credit cards you would carry, both in the US, EUROPE and SOUTH AMERICA, so as not to be stranded without resources. would you carry one each of visa and master card? prepaid debit card? I am thinking of doing some traveling this winter and just wanted to know, from others experience what worked best.

If you do some searches, you will find some previous posts on this topic.

Visa seems to be more widely accepted in the US and South America, American Express, less so. I can't speak to Europe. An ATM card seems to work well in the SA countries that I have visited recently (Brazil, Ecuador and Peru). Travelers' checks seem to be an anachronism, even in the USA.

Foreign exchange charges vary widely with ATM and credit cards. A Google search will show which ones have low foreign transaction fees.

Good ole American cash works well in most tourist areas, though small bills in good condition work best. Heck, in Ecuador their currency is the US dollar.

Back
Top Bottom