Comforting Dreams of those passed away

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
A dear friend passed away about a week ago. Last night I had a dream of her. It was more a regular dream. She was a person who liked to move. When we'd be driving around, she'd say to me, "I used to live there." In the dream, simply, I was helping her move. Helping her get settled in a new place. I was helping her getting organized like the way I would while she was alive -- such as making sure she had her medication filled, that she didn't lose her purse, etc. Also, a comforting part was that her dog (which she lost a few months ago) was there with her.

I know, in one way, all it is, is just a dream. Yet, this "memory" is much better than the final moments of having to say goodbye and taking her off life support.

I'm still waiting to have one of those dreams in which she tells me that everthing is fine. No need to worry anymore. Have you had those dreams of love ones gone?

I've had them each time someone dear has passed away. When my mom died, I had this dream of her, my dad, and our family dog with my mom and dad saying to me, we are now in the light and happy, no need to worry about us anymore.

When my brother died (he died of liver cancer, diagnosed about four weeks earlier, then suffered and gone so soon). In a dream, he said to me, "I'm no longer in pain. Where I'm at now, they found a cure for me!"

I know, perhaps just a trick of the mind. Yet perhaps more too. Either way, it is comforting.

I'm still waiting to have one of those dreams in which she tells me that everthing is fine. No need to worry anymore. Have you had those dreams of love ones gone?

I've had them each time someone dear has passed away. When my mom died, I had this dream of her, my dad, and our family dog with my mom and dad saying to me, we are now in the light and happy, no need to worry about us anymore.

When my brother died (he died of liver cancer, diagnosed about four weeks earlier, then suffered and gone so soon). In a dream, he said to me, "I'm no longer in pain. Where I'm at now, they found a cure for me!"

I know, perhaps just a trick of the mind. Yet perhaps more too. Either way, it is comforting.
It's happened to me on occasion as well. Actually it's also happened with some departed pets, as well. Whether it's just mind games or something "larger" (i.e. spiritual and/or supernatural), I've decided to not to look a gift horse in the mouth. We are people of faith so we have our ideas on it, but others may see it differently.

It's not anything that I have ever experienced, but have to say that they sound like pleasant dreams.

I have had them too. I had one with a friend's child passing on information back to his mother to let her know he was alright.

It is nice to know some people have dreams of comfort and/or value to them. The dreams I have or at least remember usually make no sense nor serve a purpose. Last night I had a dream that I was working at my high school job in a restaurant busing tables with my friend who I didnt meet until 10 years ago. All I kept thinking in my dream is why am I doing this job when I have plenty of money and my friend is making $100,000 working in his present job already.

Yes, I have had dreams about my Mom (gone 10 years) and my husband (gone 7 years) many times since their passing.
I enjoy these dreams immensely. :D I wish they would happen more often.
Sometimes when I am awake, and something in real time has triggered a memory, if I close my eyes and focus very hard, I can still "hear" and "see" them in my mind. It is an exercise I will continue to do until it is my turn.

When my poor Barley beagle passed away she was almost 16 and died overnight after being ill for a long time. I know that passing was probably a relief to her after so much illness.

My Porter we had to euthanize at the end of a long struggle with lymphoma. He wanted to live right up the last day despite the growing problems with his cancer. I went to work the next day and when I came home I patted each of the puppies at the door and reached down to pet Porter. He was there. I know he was. All that evening I knew he was there participating in the evening routine. The beagle puppy would not sit in the little beanbag that Porter liked to sleep on in my daughter's room, and I found myself compelled to reach down and pat him there as I tucked my daughter in for the night. Since then, he has not been back.

I think of them often and I mentally picked out adjacent stars in a constellation easily visible as "their" stars.

Yes had a dream where a friend appeared and I said Hi how are you? What's it like over there? Her answer "oh it's OK". Her tone of voice sounded like "is that all there is"?

I've had a number of dreams in which mom and dad played a part. Sometimes I will have a dream where only dad is involved. Never with only mom. Don't know why that is. I'll wake up and see them vividly knowing full well that it was just a dream, but I can recall the dream in detail. Funny thing, but they never appear as they were in real life. Just a little different. Can't explain that.

I have not ever had dreams about loved ones that passed away. They sound like they would be very comforting. My cousin (who I lived with from 11 yrs to 18 yrs old) lives where her dad and mom used to live. She says that she sees her dad briefly every once in a while. I have never had that experience either.

Two close friends have passed away in recent years, Each of them is still featured in my dreams occasionally, in each case I have been able to converse with them.

I have also dreamt about pets that have passed away.

When I awake, for a time I find I forget they are gone, the sensation of them being there was so real and remains for a time after the dream.

Shortly after my friend's dog passed away (he used to climb in bed and curl up along side of me), I must have been in one of those just barely awake states, when I thought as though I heard the doorbell ring and then "felt and heard" her dog bark and jump off the bed. It felt so real, and so much not like a dream that the sensation was a bit erie.

I've had several dreams of my friend who passed away recently. Mostly, she's there but more in the background. I'm hoping to have one of the comforting dreams of her saying that all is OK. I miss her very much.

I've had dreams like this with cats that have passed. I could feel their fur or knew somehow that it was them.

I'd love to have my mother stop by in a dream and just reassure me that I'm doing what's right with my Dad.

Glad to see some folks have dreams about dearly departed that they find comforting. I've found that most of my dreams about this matter to be saddening.

I don't remember specific dreams, however, I did find that my sleep cycle got messed up. I would wake a 3 or 4 PM for a couple of months after each of my parents died and when my wife passed away.

(I had a dream last night...here it is if you wish to read it...)

Well, I did have one somewhat comforting dream of my friend today (It's been a little over two weeks since she's passed away). There were three parts, all related to my friend. (Dreams are pretty disjointed, so some don't make that much sense).

In the first part, I was over at her house with most of her stuff moved out. A real estate agent asks me some questions, saying that my friend was planning to move to an apartment). I then told the agent, something is wrong. My friend has passed away. So, either someone is trying to steal her identity or there is something else we don't understand going on here. As the dream goes on, it seems like someone had tried to use her identity to apply as the description of the person applying had no resemblence to my friend.

Then the dream changes to the second part (as I said, dreams can be disjointed). Now, getting ready for a charity benefit. In the same room with me is Taylor Swift (yes, The Taylor Swift). In real life, I think Taylor seems very nice and I respect her. But I have other favorites. However, my friend adored her as she would always say, "Taylor is as cute as a button." In the dream, Taylor says to me, "Let's make this a FREE benefit concert." So, I'm updating this flyer saying that the concert is free for all her fans. Free show, free parking, etc.

The dream switches to the thrid part. Now I'm at my friend's apartment. I'm switching TV channels on her remote. It's a choice between "Love American Style" (remember that old TV show?) or a football game (a Minnestoa Vikings game). I decide to flip towards the game. At this time, I'm thinking about how I miss my friend. That it is odd, her gone. Then I look over to my left and I see her like the way she was at the hospital on life support in the bed. I call her name. She smiles at me. I hold her hand. She says "Help me". I say to her "I've prayed so much for you. I've prayed that you are going to heaven." She says "Thank you". Then says they are going to take her now. That she'll be gone for a long time.

...Then I wake up...wishing that we could have "spoke" more in the dream..yet I do find that comforting.

Last edited:
(I had a dream last night...here it is if you wish to read it...)

Well, I did have one somewhat comforting dream of my friend today (It's been a little over two weeks since she's passed away). There were three parts, all related to my friend. (Dreams are pretty disjointed, so some don't make that much sense).

In the first part, I was over at her house with most of her stuff moved out. A real estate agent asks me some questions, saying that my friend was planning to move to an apartment). I then told the agent, something is wrong. My friend has passed away. So, either someone is trying to steal her identity or there is something else we don't understand going on here. As the dream goes on, it seems like someone had tried to use her identity to apply as the description of the person applying had no resemblence to my friend.

Then the dream changes to the second part (as I said, dreams can be disjointed). Now, getting ready for a charity benefit. In the same room with me is Taylor Swift (yes, The Taylor Swift). In real life, I think Taylor seems very nice and I respect her. But I have other favorites. However, my friend adored her as she would always say, "Taylor is a cute as a button." In the dream, Taylor says to me, "Let's make this a FREE benefit concert." So, I'm updating this flyer saying that the concert is free for all her fans. Free show, free parking, etc.

The dream switches to the thrid part. Now I'm at my friend's apartment. I'm switching TV channels on her remote. It's a choice between "Love American Style" (remember that old TV show?) are a football game (a Minnestoa Vikings game"). I decide to flip towards the game. At this time, I'm thinking about how I miss my friend. That it is odd, her gone. Then I look over to my left and I see her like the way she was at the hospital on life support in the bed. I call her name. She smiles at me. I hold her hand. She says "Help me". I say to her "I've prayed so much for you. I've prayed that you are going to heaven." She says "Thank you". Then says they are going to take her now. That she'll be gone for a long time.

...Then I wake up...wishing that we could have "spoke" more in the dream..yet I do find that comforting.
That is a beautiful dream. You must have been deepy in love. I am very sorry for your loss.

Ha

That is a beautiful dream. You must have been deepy in love. I am very sorry for your loss.

Ha

Thanks. I miss her very much, especially around the holidays.

I am so sorry for your loss. There are very few dreams I remember, but from time to time, I seem to be in the presence of loved ones who have passed. It is unsettling, yet comforting. Dad appears as a young man and is always smiling but never speaks. Mom has yet to appear but she seems to be the same as when I last saw her. Mom had not known who I was for years before she passed, but when I sense her presence, she knows who I am. Oh how comforting it would be if Mom seemed happy...maybe...eventually.

I miss my mother a lot, especially around the holidays. It's been 4 years. She was a wonderful woman in so many ways. At first I had comforting dreams about her but not so much any more.

I have discovered that when I miss her, I can look in the mirror (or listen to my voice), and much to my surprise I can see little hints and expressions of her in me, so in me she lives on. For example I might find myself holding my head like her, or use an expression that she used, completely unintentionally. She may be gone, but shadows of her remain. That is some comfort to me.

I still haven't had any dreams about my mother yet.

But last weekend my sister and I got together at my Dad's apartment to move some things before having the carpeting cleaned. He's still in rehab recovering from a broken hip and we expect him home soon so we thought it would be smart to get the carpet cleaned while he's still away from home.

My sister and I had a chance to spend some time in his apartment and had a long talk about my Dad's financial situation. In general, my sister's eyes glaze over if you try to talk to her about money, finances, budgeting, anything requiring discipline or planning. It just doesn't apply to her. She likes to have everything she wants NOW and likes to pay full price for things because it makes her feel important. Needless to say, we are VERY DIFFERENT.

So we had the opportunity to really discuss my Dad and his future regarding his finances, just the two of us. I happened to have some spreadsheets printed out (hey, I know I'm not the only one here who keeps spreadsheets handy) and she actually took the time to look at them and get the point of what they showed.

The result was that on an issue that she had been pushing and prodding me to make a decision, she decided that my conservative viewpoint made sense and that she agreed with me. No arguing, no struggle.

We finished what we needed to do at the apartment and then left to go visit Dad at the nursing home. We headed to our cars and right in my path was a shiny new penny half buried in the slush. I (being ME and not HER) stopped to pick it up even though it was just $.01. I immediately thought of Mom and how we used to roll pennies together. She would have picked up the penny and she knew I would, too.

Now, I don't think Mom put that penny in my path. Someone else dropped it and I happened to see it. But it reminded me of her and it made me certain that my sister and I had made the correct decision about my Dad's finances.

I pocketed the penny and brought it home and it's now glued to the edge of my computer monitor. Just a reminder of Mom and her ways.

Last edited:
They say when someone passes away, if it rains that's a good sign (that the angels are crying). In times past, when my dad, mom, brother and most recently, dear friend passed away it rained. Sometimes just sprinkles, and most recently it was raining buckets. Coincidence or not, it's the comforting feelings and experience that counts.

I hope someone cares enough to dream about me when I pass away.

Back
Top Bottom