Two years in...How do you find the time?

Brdofpray

Recycles dryer sheets
After retiring from the Chicago area to Upstate South Carolina, I am finding my time is at a premium. So much to do, so little time. At one time I thought I would be sitting on the porch watching birds, hoping, I wouldn't get bored. Was I wrong. Enjoying every minute!!

Hi Brdofpray, welcome to the forum. So, your time is at a premium, eh? Feels good, doesn't it?

Congrats! I hope to be retiring to South Carolina in a few years as well.

Enjoy the outdoors, it's absolutely beautiful in that part of the country.

When we settled in the upstate, we did not realize that there are over 80 + waterfalls in this area. We are trying to find them all. Life is very good!

What are you doing that is keeping you so busy? It sounds like you are doing a lot of hiking.

The upstate is right at the foot of the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Beautiful mountain and lake views. There is a 77 mile trail connecting two state parks through this entire area. I am involved in a volunteer group that manages this trail, when DW and I aren't hiking on it. I took a South Carolina Master Naturalist course last fall, now I am leading bird hikes, and general nature hikes for various groups. There is work on our new house, I couldn't say no to our Home Owners Association (long story), and keeping up with many new friends with similar interests.

The upstate is right at the foot of the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Beautiful mountain and lake views. There is a 77 mile trail connecting two state parks through this entire area. I am involved in a volunteer group that manages this trail, when DW and I aren't hiking on it. I took a South Carolina Master Naturalist course last fall, now I am leading bird hikes, and general nature hikes for various groups. There is work on our new house, I couldn't say no to our Home Owners Association (long story), and keeping up with many new friends with similar interests.
Sounds like our retirement. If you like the out-of-doors, there is always a lot to get involved in and you meet a lot of people with similar interests. Who was ever worried about losing a "social network" when leaving work? I wasn't. If you go out and do the things you enjoy, you plug into a whole other social network and it's so refreshing to make connections with people which aren't work related.

Audrey

After retiring from the Chicago area to Upstate South Carolina, I am finding my time is at a premium. So much to do, so little time. At one time I thought I would be sitting on the porch watching birds, hoping, I wouldn't get bored. Was I wrong. Enjoying every minute!!
But.... but.... but.... what about all those folks who warned you, "what are you going to do with all that idle time?"

The Master Naturalist program sounds right up my alley. I wonder if they do that near me?

Sounds like our retirement. If you like the out-of-doors, there is always a lot to get involved in and you meet a lot of people with similar interests. Who was ever worried about losing a "social network" when leaving work? I wasn't. If you go out and do the things you enjoy, you plug into a whole other social network and it's so refreshing to make connections with people which aren't work related.

Audrey

Audrey do you ever miss your old social network?

I'm not Audrey but I can answer. All my old social network wanted to talk about was work and job. I always told my kids they should associate with people that shared similar goals. When I started doing the same, the old network quickly became the ex-network.

Uh - no. (actually, I didn't even need to think that long)

But, actually, I had already built a social network outside of work, and I minimized socializing with co-workers anyway. So when I retired, I still had my personal social network until I left town 5 years later (by which time I had already started building a new one).

Audrey

From my perspective, between the new neighborhood activities, and my Upstate Naturalist group, I have a stronger connection to the people here than I had after 30 years in my working life. When I first FIRED, I felt my life was more relaxed. I had more time to get to know people without the hassle of a busy work life and the schedule that brings. My activities with others were not just regulated to weekends, but could happen at anytime through out the week.

My original post that started this thread, was actually a cautionary one. Be selective in what you get involved in. I jumped in with both feet, and after two years, I am finding my schedule starting to really fill up. While this is great on one hand, it also can defeat the purpose of FIREing, and taking a different path.

I will work on that.

The nice thing about being FIREd is that you can slow down anytime you want to. Or even change everything completely if you wish.

My original post that started this thread, was actually a cautionary one. Be selective in what you get involved in. I jumped in with both feet, and after two years, I am finding my schedule starting to really fill up. While this is great on one hand, it also can defeat the purpose of FIREing, and taking a different path.
I second that.

I've never understood the "But... but... but what will I do all day?!?" syndrome. I've never understood "losing your contact network" or becoming an isolated hermit rusting on the porch swing.

Before you get involved in something, think about your exit strategy.

I volunteered for a non-profit right after I retired. Within a year I was trapped in Treasurer. I stuck it out for three years, and I enjoyed doing the books & tax returns, but after that I firmly resigned. 10 months later the President "fired" my relief and begged me to get them through the end of the year. After a second round I was able to pull free.

Then I thought it'd be cool to write a book, and it was, but again I don't really have an exit strategy. I seem to have found an outlet for my writing, though, and I'll keep that going for another year or five to see where it leads.

But this ER stuff can suck every moment out of your life if you're not mindful of your time management.

I'm one of those who volunteered for 3 months over the winter during the first year I retired.

A year later and I really did not want to be tied down again, but found it hard to turn down the requests. However, I decided that the last thing I needed was to be committed to a part time schedule, and having to skip some of the other new activities I had come to enjoy doing. I have no regrets at backing out after only one year, life is too short.

I like this thread cause I daydream more time with people and venturing about.

If you find all those waterfalls and still want more venture further up into NC. We have some nice ones too:D My favorite overlook is the craggy dome.

Hey, I'll be a "neighbor" by late March; we're moving to Belmont, NC - west of Charlotte and semi-retiring. My wife and I are both professionals and can work part time or project schedules for a while. :dance:

Uh - no. (actually, I didn't even need to think that long)

But, actually, I had already built a social network outside of work, and I minimized socializing with co-workers anyway. So when I retired, I still had my personal social network until I left town 5 years later (by which time I had already started building a new one).

Audrey

It sounds like you transitioned yourself gradually - building an existing group of people outside of work before retiring. This is something I never thought of. Thanks for this advice. I should do what you did before taking the plunge.

Right now, my days are work work work, and I maintain a "career driven" facade just to blend in. No one knows about my disenchantment with what I do, and my desire to retire.

I love being retired, but I agree. There just isn't time to do everything! I have to space my activities out, and not do everything every day. Also I have to tell myself that I don't have time for some activities at all, and not take on every activity that sounds interesting or fun. There seem to be an infinite number of wonderful, interesting things to do. :D

All my old social network wanted to talk about was work and job. I always told my kids they should associate with people that shared similar goals. When I started doing the same, the old network quickly became the ex-network.
Agreed. It took me about two years to extract myself from my former co-workers.

Actually, it took them two years to understand (by not responding to their constant informational emails) that I had "moved on".

Sort of like leaving school and still being contacted to attend a reunion (never have, never will).

All my old social network wanted to talk about was work and job. I always told my kids they should associate with people that shared similar goals. When I started doing the same, the old network quickly became the ex-network.
I am still working on this transition. My old network, all of whom are still working (one of the challenges of ER), indeed want to talk about work more often than not. Unfortunately that stuff bores me quickly, especially when it's former co-workers. And they're not much interested in my new activities, makes many jealous, sad or other.

I was pleasantly busy with (mostly outdoor) activities and a good new network for Summer & Fall, though they all still work. But I am finding Winter up north to be tougher network and activity wise. DW is still working and will continue to do so for quite a while. There simply aren't many early retirees with working spouses I've found. No offense, but I'm not interested in hanging around with folks 10+ years older than I am (yet at least). I have sat near some retirees who meet at local breakfast restaurants several times, and most of what I overhear is complaining, often with little command of facts, no thanks.

But I'll get there, and warmer weather will improve things regardless. Winter isn't much fun up here, working or retired!

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, I attended BMW's performance driving school in Greenville and had a great time. Got to see a lot of the countryside and came home from that trip and told DW, I want us to retire there and live on a mountain. What beautiful county it is.

Brdofpray, given you screen name, I assume you are observing a lot hawks, eagles and owls?

The nice thing about being FIREd is that you can slow down anytime you want to.

There are so many nice things about FIRE, and that's one of the nicer ones. I have been doing a lot over the past few weeks to prepare for the move and today I feel like doing nothing. The weather is disgusting anyways, so I'll be chilling out at home.

As for social networks...
Family: very important for me. My family lives very far from here but we keep in touch on a weekly basis and we visit each other at least annually. MIL lives 5 miles from our house and I see her several times a week.
College friends: my best friends. Although they are scattered all over the world, we make a point of keeping in touch regularly via phone, email, Skype and actual visits.
Former co-workers: a couple of them became personal friends over 10 years ago and I still see them several times a year. But most of my former co-workers are Facebook "friends" and while we do share personal updates on occasion, it's pretty shallow.
Local network: when I retired, I didn't have much of a social network locally, outside of work people that is. I am not a very social person, so I don't need a large network to feel comfortable (good friends and family fulfill most of my social needs). But it was still too limited even for me. Over a period of several months after retiring, I was able to enlarge my network by meeting people through hobbies and I now have a pretty good local social network.

Back
Top Bottom