Two years in...How do you find the time?

It sounds like you transitioned yourself gradually - building an existing group of people outside of work before retiring. This is something I never thought of. Thanks for this advice. I should do what you did before taking the plunge.
Not quite. I never depended on work for my social network. I instinctively kept my social network apart because I wanted a true break from the office in my free time. I only occasionally socialized with favorite co-workers. I had plenty of outside interests where I made friends, and I still maintained friends from earlier times (like college).

Audrey

After 2 years out, my former HR director actually said this to me: "I'd expect that sailing in New England, wintering in Florida and skiing the Alps will eventually lose it's luster for you..."

That was 7 years ago. Still waiting for it to lose it's luster. Don't think it will happen.

Brdofpray, given you screen name, I assume you are observing a lot hawks, eagles and owls?

It is an amazing area, and yes, my passion is birds of prey, in fact all of our feathered creatures. My early years, in my working life, was spent sharing and teaching folks about the avian world. As I moved up the ladder, I became less and less hands on. Until at the end, I was managing people who managed people who did what I used to do.

Now I am returning to those early years, and reconnecting with the passion that originally brought me into the field.

Sort of like leaving school and still being contacted to attend a reunion (never have, never will).
Facebook has helped me realize what reunions would be like, and so I'm done with them. I get more than enough of it from FB anyway...

About 10 years ago, I attended BMW's performance driving school in Greenville and had a great time. Got to see a lot of the countryside and came home from that trip and told DW, I want us to retire there and live on a mountain. What beautiful county it is.

Brdofpray, given you screen name, I assume you are observing a lot hawks, eagles and owls?

10yrs ago? Was that the one with the McLaren F1 GTR Fina car on display? Boris Said was giving drives around course in the newest M5 like a Millennium Falcon record breaker. Ahh sorry mind raced there for a min. I like early BMWs.

Yes the Carolina's are a nice place to settle. Bought a house in NC with this in mind.

Back
Top Bottom