Decison to not take Medicare at 65?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Read in the news that someone (I'll leave his name out as I don't want this thread considered a political thread) who just turned 65 opted insteda to not enroll in Medicare but keep his private insurance.

I didn't even know at 65 to turn down medicare is an option.

Last edited:
I think I heard that if you refuse Medicare, you also can't claim Social Security.

I'm pretty sure my ex-employer told me that by law they are not allowed to offer HI as the primary insurance once you hit 65. So, for me I've always assumed I'll be joining Medicare.

I think I heard that if you refuse Medicare, you also can't claim Social Security.

I'm pretty sure my ex-employer told me that by law they are not allowed to offer HI as the primary insurance once you hit 65. So, for me I've always assumed I'll be joining Medicare.
Correct. See here Judge Dismisses Suit Brought by Plaintiffs Seeking to Opt Out of Medicare - The BLT: The Blog of Legal Times

U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer dismissed a suit brought by a group of men seeking to cease their Medicare Part A coverage. In an opinion [.pdf] issued today, Collyer wrote that while the plaintiffs, which include former House Majority Leader Dick Armey, had a point that they are caught in a bind – the statute dictates that they can only opt out of Medicare Part A by forfeiting all of their Social Security retirement benefits – the court did not find that the government is required to provide a different way out.

Can you decline Medicare if you take social security? - Lexology

February 29 2012
The US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit recently said no. A group of seniors, including former US House Majority Leader Dick Armey, had sued the federal government to be allowed to accept Social Security payments, but decline Medicare coverage. They preferred to keep their private coverage to being covered by Medicare. Unfortunately for them, the court concluded that the Social Security Act did not allow an individual to take Social Security payments without also accepting Medicare Part A coverage (although the individuals could not be forced to use the benefits). Eligible individuals can at times accept Medicare coverage without starting their Social Security benefits; the restriction runs in only one direction.

I think when you have a few billion in the bank you can do whatever you like...

If you are working for an employer who provides coverage "equal to or better" than Medicare....you can stay on your employer's coverage until you quit/retire. At that time you are eligible for a special enrollment period. However, everybody should sign up for Part A when they turn 65 - and if you are working it becomes secondary to your employer's coverage. There is no charge for Part A. Part B is the part of Medicare that you will pay for once you enroll.

My retiree health insurance requires me to sign up for Medicare at 65.

If you are working for an employer who provides coverage "equal to or better" than Medicare....you can stay on your employer's coverage until you quit/retire. At that time you are eligible for a special enrollment period. However, everybody should sign up for Part A when they turn 65 - and if you are working it becomes secondary to your employer's coverage. There is no charge for Part A. Part B is the part of Medicare that you will pay for once you enroll.

This is the case. DH just turned 65 and continues on his employer's coverage...thank goodness as I'm also covered as his dependent. He signed up for Medicare part A which will be secondary to empl coverage. Not mandatory, but we thought when the heck. Once he retires, he has a special enrollment period to sign up for Part B. At that time, I will hook into my former employer's group coverage paying 100% of the premium until I turn 65.

Prior to age 65 I was covered by Tricare. When I hit 65 the military required me to enroll in Medicare and they gave me Tricare For Life for free! Oops! They will now be charging me for that free benefit in the future and I still get to pay Medicare premium. What a country...

Once you hit 65 you are automatically covered by Medicare Part A (hospitalization) at no additional out-off pocket expense. When most people say they are signing up for Medicare they are referring to Medicare Part B (medical). This does require a premium to be paid and is optional. However, if you are not covered by another approved insurance plan, you will be required to pay an increased premium if you choose later to start Medicare Part B. There will be an additional 10% charged for EACH 12 month period that you were not covered by Medicare Part B and were not covered by another approved insurance plan. (This penalty goes on for the rest of your life.) Being Category 1 and having all medical covered by the VA at no out of pocket expense, does not classify as having an approved insurance plan. Tricare for Life requires you to pay the Part B premium for it to be in effect.

Last edited:
. Once you hit 65 you are automatically covered by Medicare Part A (hospitalization) at no additional out-off pocket expense.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression Medicare A was free if you paid for it during your working years. I've never had money withdrawn for Medicare, and was under the impression I'd have to pay the premium for it.

I've also been led to believe most insurance companies will require you to enroll, because it lowers their out put of payments on claims.

Are you sure about this? I was under the impression Medicare A was free if you paid for it during your working years. I've never had money withdrawn for Medicare, and was under the impression I'd have to pay the premium for it.

I've also been led to believe most insurance companies will require you to enroll, because it lowers their out put of payments on claims.

It is no charge if you are eligible for social security.

Medicare Part A is hospital insurance. Enrollment is 'automatic' once you turn 65 and there is no additional premium for the insurance.

Medicare Part B is is medical insurance. It is intended to help pay doctor bills for treatment in or out of the hospital. It also covers many other medical expenses you incur when you are not in the hospital, such as the costs of necessary medical equipment and tests. Enrollment in part B is optional, you must enroll if you want it, and currently costs ~$100/mo - more if you your income is above a specified level.

Several years ago, a lady I know who decided to work past 65 decided to not enroll in medicare since her work insurance covered her. Except..... the work insurance made it clear that when an employee hit 65 they were enrolled in a medicare supplement plane which assumed they had medicare coverage. She only found this out when she had to pay for most of her cataract surgery. Thankfully, it was not as bad as it could have been.

Did you pay fica or did you work for a state or local government? If you paid fica a part of it pays for part a.

If one is not covered for Pt A, it is quite expensive out of pocket.

Ha

The info I received from SS wrt to enrollment in Medicare Part A is that DH had to sign up. Given that he had employer provided medical insurance, we were told that he could sign up now that he's turned 65 and have Medicare be secondary insurance or sign up for both Part A and B once he retires. Part A coverage was NOT 'automatic.'

Now my head is spinning. I am going to ignore this issue for now and relook at it when I turn 65 in 2017.

Now my head is spinning. I am going to ignore this issue for now and relook at it when I turn 65 in 2017.
Things can change, so it won't hurt to wait. You should probably start looking at it when you reach 64 1/2, give it a couple of months to learn, because beginning on your 65th birthday you have a limited time to enroll.

The info I received from SS wrt to enrollment in Medicare Part A is that DH had to sign up. Given that he had employer provided medical insurance, we were told that he could sign up now that he's turned 65 and have Medicare be secondary insurance or sign up for both Part A and B once he retires. Part A coverage was NOT 'automatic.'

Medicare says one should sign up for part A even if working and covered by employer health care insurance.
Even if you keep working after you turn 65, you should sign up for Medicare Part A. If you have health coverage through your employer or union, Part A may still help pay some of the costs not covered by your group health plan. Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to sign up. However, you may want to wait to sign up for Medicare Part B if you or your spouse are working and have group health coverage through you or your spouse's employer or union. (See note below if you work for a small company.) You would have to pay the monthly Medicare Part B premium, and the Medicare Part B benefits may be of limited value to you as long as the group health plan is the primary payer of your medical bills. In addition, you would start your 6-month Medigap open enrollment period during a time when it will not be of most use to you. For more information on your Medigap open enrollment period, see the publication*Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare.

Note: If you are age 65 or older and working for a small company (less than 20 employees), you should talk to your employee health benefits administrator before making any decision not to take Medicare Part B. If your employer has less than 20 employees, Medicare is the primary payer and your group health insurance would be the secondary payer. You may also wish to read our publication: Medicare and Other Health Benefits: Your Guide to Who Pays First If you are disabled and working (or you have coverage from a working family member), the Special Enrollment Period rules also apply. Call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or visit their web site for more information. See also our FAQ on* how to enroll in Medicare.
https://questions.medicare.gov/app/...-medicare-part-a-and-b-if-i-am-still-working?

Back
Top Bottom