Is this a dream about ER or about...gulp...biting the Big One?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last night, I dreamed that I was in my early 30's again, and being interviewed by senior administrators at a community college I attended (in my mid-teens, not my 30's!) many years ago (and have fond memories of). It was the most unusual college office anyone has ever seen - draped with gorgeous multi-colored silks and golden ornaments like a scene from Moulin Rouge. It certainly didn't resemble the dingy, state-government-funded surroundings I recall :LOL:

The lady in charge, who was about my current age and wearing a flowing purple robe with some kind of wreath on her head, said dream-words to the effect that the junior college didn't have the courses I would need. Instead, they were recommending me to a much higher level institution where I would need to take courses to re-develop my creativity. She explained that I had been forced to squelch my creativity and imagination in order to fit in with the logical, methodical, pragmatic world, where nothing matters or is respected unless someone can make money doing it. It was going to be a long course of study.

Just as my heart began to sink at the thought of yet another stint at formal education, someone in the group said [in dream-language], "Here's a sample exercise to show what your coursework is going to be like. Make up a poem about anything, using the most colorful, wildest words you can, it doesn't matter if they make sense."* Immediately I started thinking about words and colors, and the sense of unbelievable freedom came over me. "They really want me to do this! I can spend all my time imagining things! This is going to be so much fun!" I almost felt like crying, it was such a relief to know that it was really true.

Then an unwelcome person from the past entered and the dream went in a different direction, but I still remember the feeling of FREEDOM and lightness of heart from the "college" part.

Is this about anticipating retirement? Or something...er...more spiritual?

Amethyst

*Actually I have never cared for poems like this.

Last edited:
So, we're there any angels playing harps?

Maybe your subconscious mind is thinking that it might be fun to take a few classes once you have ER'd? Sounds like a delightful dream.

On the other hand, I dreamed last night that I was still working and had been transferred to Houston, where my new landlord had written into my lease agreement that I had to keep and care for his (lovely, but needy, attention seeking, and loud) pink cockatoo. :sick: What a relief to awaken and find that I am still ER'd.

Attachments

• cockatoo.jpg
    cockatoo.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Cockatoo dreams sound mighty Freudian to me! >:D

I had to keep and care for his (lovely, but needy, attention seeking, and loud) pink cockatoo. :sick: What a relief to awaken and find that I am still ER'd.

I almost never remember my dreams. A good thing evidently...

Did you have mushrooms with your dinner last night....?

I don't know what it represents, but that is one far-out, groovy dream...

th

My ex was a nurse that tied a lot of toe tags in her career. She assures me that death is over rated. :LOL:

No shrooms for supper, and no drugs in my system - not even aspirin. I think I've discovered the ultimate LBYM entertainment - fab dreams!

Amethyst

Did you have mushrooms with your dinner last night....?

I don't know what it represents, but that is one far-out, groovy dream...

th

I love this dream. It's all about freedom and future creative efforts. Sounds like a wonderful anticipation of ER. Some uncertainty perhaps, but a wide open opportunity to make of it what you will, with the support or at least approval of the powers that be in the form of administrators even suggesting that's what's right for your next step.

I can spend all my time imagining things! This is going to be so much fun!" I almost felt like crying, it was such a relief to know that it was really true.

Made the choice in 1953... Scholarship offers from Harvard, Yale... turned down for my small liberal arts school in Maine... Missed the wealth train, but ever since, enjoyed the ride on the happiness bus. 23 years of frugal but insanely happy retirement.

:confused: What the cuss are dream-words and dream-language?

Maybe it was just a flashback to -- and longing for -- the freedom of college(?)

Doc

Last night, I dreamed that I was in my early 30's again, and being interviewed by senior administrators at a community college I attended (in my mid-teens, not my 30's!) many years ago (and have fond memories of). It was the most unusual college office anyone has ever seen - draped with gorgeous multi-colored silks and golden ornaments like a scene from Moulin Rouge. It certainly didn't resemble the dingy, state-government-funded surroundings I recall :LOL:

The lady in charge, who was about my current age and wearing a flowing purple robe with some kind of wreath on her head, said dream-words to the effect that the junior college didn't have the courses I would need. Instead, they were recommending me to a much higher level institution where I would need to take courses to re-develop my creativity. She explained that I had been forced to squelch my creativity and imagination in order to fit in with the logical, methodical, pragmatic world, where nothing matters or is respected unless someone can make money doing it. It was going to be a long course of study.

Just as my heart began to sink at the thought of yet another stint at formal education, someone in the group said [in dream-language], "Here's a sample exercise to show what your coursework is going to be like. Make up a poem about anything, using the most colorful, wildest words you can, it doesn't matter if they make sense."* Immediately I started thinking about words and colors, and the sense of unbelievable freedom came over me. "They really want me to do this! I can spend all my time imagining things! This is going to be so much fun!" I almost felt like crying, it was such a relief to know that it was really true.

Then an unwelcome person from the past entered and the dream went in a different direction, but I still remember the feeling of FREEDOM and lightness of heart from the "college" part.

Is this about anticipating retirement? Or something...er...more spiritual?

Amethyst

*Actually I have never cared for poems like this.

Although I wasn't there (in your dream) it seem like all ER to me. Maybe your new ER life.

Let your fancy flow!

Oh, I was just being precise. People in dreams don't have a script, so they just speak nonsense, or maybe one or two "real" words. Since I'm the dreamer, I know what they mean.

I don't miss college. All in all it was kind of a grind, and I was poor. That's probably why I'm 30-something in the dream.

A.

:confused: What the cuss are dream-words and dream-language?

Maybe it was just a flashback to -- and longing for -- the freedom of college(?)

Doc

Back
Top Bottom