But, I was only two numbers off...

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What did I do today? Well, I faxed a bunch of confidential information (social security number, birth date, middle initial, home phone number, etc) to the wrong fax number. I hate it when that happens. Anyhow, I don't have any idea who is on the other end of the fax. I did fax these people again this evening, explaining the situation, so maybe I will hear from them tomorrow. I called the phone company and they tried to help but could not.

So, I guess I need to sign up for credit ID protection. It looks like I have two viable choices: Triple A for $6.95 a month or Costco for $9.95 a month. Any ideas regarding this situation?

I am amazed that fax documents remain so popular (vs email). What are the odds of being off by two digits and connecting to a fax and not a voice line? Does you fax log say the pages were received?
Good luck

Oh, yeah, I defied the odds. And, yep, the pages were received. And, uh, I don't know you very well, but, if everything gets taken , can, I like,... maybe move in with you? (And, do you have room for a fax machine)?

Google the fax number and see if you can find the owner or person associated with the fax number. Sometimes another number is published that you can call, if so, I would call them and see if they are reasonable and this might gauge your concern. Good luck.

It could have been worse .... sending it to IDD #234 for example.

I once received some confidential documents via e-mail that were sent to me by mistake. I never heard from the sender and just deleted them.

You can set up an initial 90 day fraud alert with all three credit reporting agencies online or over the phone. Successfully setting up the alert with any one agency automatically places the alert with all three. The system is automated, so you can place the alert now, rather than waiting for normal business hours. There is no charge for this service.

If you do this by phone, have paper and pencil handy to write down the confirmation number.

Once placed, creditors using the agencies won't open new accounts in your name without contacting you.

http://www.equifax.com/answers/set-fraud-alerts/en_cp

https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

http://www.transunion.com/personal-credit/credit-disputes/fraud-alerts.page

Google the fax number and see if you can find the owner or person associated with the fax number. Sometimes another number is published that you can call, if so, I would call them and see if they are reasonable and this might gauge your concern. Good luck.

I did try to Google the fax number (and so did the phone company). No luck.

It could have been worse .... sending it to IDD #234 for example.

I once received some confidential documents via e-mail that were sent to me by mistake. I never heard from the sender and just deleted them.

OK, I Googled this and the best I could do was watch a 7 minute clip on YouTube of a dump truck. (I didn't really watch all 7 minutes).

Last edited:
You can set up an initial 90 day fraud alert with all three credit reporting agencies online or over the phone. Successfully setting up the alert with any one agency automatically places the alert with all three. The system is automated, so you can place the alert now, rather than waiting for normal business hours. There is no charge for this service.

If you do this by phone, have paper and pencil handy to write down the confirmation number.

Once placed, creditors using the agencies won't open new accounts in your name without contacting you.

Equifax Online Help: How to Set a Fraud Alert

https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

Fraud Alert | Put Online Fraud Alerts on Your Credit Report | TransUnion

Thanks, M. I will try this.

OK, I Googled this and the best I could do was watch a 7 minute clip on YouTube of a dump truck. (I didn't really watch all 7 minutes).

234 is the IDD code for Nigeria - whose major industries are [-]petrochemicals and[/-] scams

I get someone else's confidential documents (including financial ones) all the time, probably at least once a month for the past few years.

His email address is just one character different from one of mine. I've told him about it more than once, and he just basically sighs and says his associates are more careless than he would like.

For a while, I forwarded everything to him, but after a couple of years I just started deleting them on sight. His problem, not mine.

Here's what I learned (so far) from this experience (aside from being able to obtain a 90 day initial fraud alert).

1. the IDD code of Nigeria
2. that I can send confidential documents to the braumeister and feel secure that the braumeister will shred them without me even asking
3. and something about a dump truck, but I don't remember what it was.

Anyhow, I signed up with Costco Alert last night.

Back
Top Bottom