when to announce retirement

palomalou

Recycles dryer sheets
I plan to leave my tenured position May 2014. As an academic, there is no 30-60 days amount of notice to give, but you have to finish a year. I've been pondering whether I should go ahead and give notice this September, thus giving them a chance to replace me with a "permanent", or wait until spring 2014 which will give me a chance to test the part-time waters where we are going. If I announce it in the fall, that would force me to do it, which might not be a bad thing. Cold feet not permitted! People do it all sorts of ways--between the beginning of the academic year, to after the year is entirely over. Thoughts?

Wait until the year is over unless there is a particular person that you could champion to be your replacement and announcing early would aid the potential replacement of your choice.

They are required to do a national search for a replacement. By my waiting they would replace me with a temp for one year and do the search that year.

Is there any benefit for you to announce at the beginning of the year? If there's any uncertainty I think it would but better to delay the announcement -- that preserves the option to change your mind.

I would talk to your HR-benefits office to see if timing makes any difference to your retirement package. Most HR clerks seem fine working with "what if" scenarios and make no assumption on what your final decision will be.
IMHO- I would delay to test out those part-time waters. Unless you want some input on recruiting/orienting your replacement. Only you can make that call.

Good luck!

I am surprised to hear that the only stipulation is that you leave at the end of an academic year. I'll bet that there is a HR policy somewhere that outlines how much notice is required.

The policies of my old university are online. The relevant policy says that 6 months is required, unless the president agrees to a shorter term. I was able to get away with 5 months.

I recommend that you search for the relevant policy online or ask HR what the policy is, and I would give the minimum notice required.

Last edited:
I agree with Meadbh - again :)

Meadbh said:
I recommend that you search for the relevant policy online or ask HR what the policy is, and I would give the minimum notice required.

I worked at an academic institution and was a little paranoid about talking to the HR people. I've been in plenty of HR meetings where the group talked about various employees. However, I learned that the HR people can and will keep your questions confidential. I doubt you can be an HR person unless you can navigate the confidentiality part of the job. Tell them you have some questions and you want to keep your intentions confidential and they will do it.

The other issue, though, is that it seems like you are unsure about retirement. That is where you should be putting your efforts.

I worked at an academic institution and was a little paranoid about talking to the HR people. I've been in plenty of HR meetings where the group talked about various employees. However, I learned that the HR people can and will keep your questions confidential. I doubt you can be an HR person unless you can navigate the confidentiality part of the job. Tell them you have some questions and you want to keep your intentions confidential and they will do it.

The other issue, though, is that it seems like you are unsure about retirement. That is where you should be putting your efforts.

Not to appease your tinfoil hat thoughts, but rest assured, HR exists in a company or institution to protect the employer FROM the employee, not the other way around.

I'd go with Meadbh's suggestion about finding the applicable HR policy on giving notice, and giving the minimum required notice.

Not to appease your tinfoil hat thoughts, but rest assured, HR exists in a company or institution to protect the employer FROM the employee, not the other way around.

I'd go with Meadbh's suggestion about finding the applicable HR policy on giving notice, and giving the minimum required notice.

+10

It only counts if it is in writing...the HR written policy is the best rule to follow.

If there is no hardcopy version available from HR, please remember to print the current stated policy out from the online site with the date/time showing on the printer page, coinciding with your written notification to them.

Back
Top Bottom