Florida in February

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I'm going to spend a few days in Ft Myers in February.
I will look up stuff on the web.
Any suggestions as to clothing (jeans shorts sandals socks)?

Any info on Cleveland airport?

Last edited:
I'm going to spend a few days in Ft Myers in February.
I will look up stuff on the web.
Any suggestions as to clothing (jeans shorts sandals socks)?

Any info on Cleveland airport?

February can be iffy weather wise . I would pack a pair of jeans & shorts , sandals & a light weight sweater .Have a great time !

Weather:

Attachments

• Ft Meyers.jpg
    Ft Meyers.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 529
Mostly depends on where you're coming from. I've seen people from Minnesota in the outdoor pool while locals are wearing parkas.

Cleveland airport is easy to negotiate, as is the airport near Ft. Myers.

They sometimes run good deals on R/T flights from Cleveland to Ft. Myers (aka RSW). I caught a R/T in November for approx. $250.

omni

Florida in February? You're reading my mind Khan. DW and I will be in Sarasota. Can't wait!

Mostly depends on where you're coming from. I've seen people from Minnesota in the outdoor pool while locals are wearing parkas.
Very true. I lived there for 3 years and what I thought was a mild chill was like the end of the world to native Floridians I worked with. I remember showing up for work one morning with a short sleeved shirt on (probably mid 50's, expected to warm up during the day) and finding my warehouse guy wearing a hoodie and complaining bitterly that he was 'freezing to death.' :D

From Ohio too.

In Homosassa Springs for Jan., and heading to Ormond Beach for Feb. I've worn jeans and a jacket twice in Jan. It's been beautiful, 70's and 80's with a few days in the 60's. So, shorts and summer shirts, with a flannel shirt for layering, a jacket, & 1-2 pants and you're set!

I've flown from Akron-Canton to Ft Myers in the past for a little over $200 round-trip on non-stop AirTran. 90 minutes and you're there. When staying for months, we drive a van so we can bring some of our "stuff". You miss your "stuff" anyway, leaving for a few months, you got have some of it............ :D

From Ohio too.

In Homosassa Springs for Jan., and heading to Ormond Beach for Feb. I've worn jeans and a jacket twice in Jan. It's been beautiful, 70's and 80's with a few days in the 60's. So, shorts and summer shirts, with a flannel shirt for layering, a jacket, & 1-2 pants and you're set!

I've flown from Akron-Canton to Ft Myers in the past for a little over $200 round-trip on non-stop AirTran. 90 minutes and you're there. When staying for months, we drive a van so we can bring some of our "stuff". You miss your "stuff" anyway, leaving for a few months, you got have some of it............ :D

Agree. Akron/Canton normally has better rates to Ft Myers. Cleveland normally has pretty good fares to Tampa.

If you can fly out of Pittsburgh to Orlando your round trip fare is $141. (Bag check extra). Spirit Air.

Last edited:
I lived in Ft. Myers for 10 years and I think you will find the weather in February to very nice. I would suggest you dress for the day just like us
golfers would. Shorts with a nice top and a sweater or light jacket in the mornings (also evenings). You'll be taking the sweater off by 11AM so an appropriate undergarment is necessary. Now, if you are on the beach at Sanibel, Captiva, Ft. Myers Beach or down to Bonita Beach, you might keep that sweater on a little while longer. While down in Ft. Myers Beach, visit Lovers Key state park. It's nice for a picnic. Have a nice trip Kahn.

Please, no socks in the sandals.

Have a nice trip Kahn.

Please, no socks in the sandals.

Another observation: DW and I live at the beach. When we see someone with allover lily white skin we say, "First day of vacation." When we see someone with lobster-red skin we say, "Second day of vacation".

BUM

Another observation: DW and I live at the beach. When we see someone with allover lily white skin we say, "First day of vacation." When we see someone with lobster-red skin we say, "Second day of vacation".

BUM

In Florida if we see someone with lilly white skin we think year round resident .

BUM

I went on a cruise in Jan and left out of Miami, went to Bahamas, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. I see a dental student who is from Kuwait and he asked me why he did not see a tan. I told him that I am very careful to keep suntan lotion on at all times.

Khan, I hope that you have a wonderful time!

I'm back to Ohio from Florida.
Had a very good time. Used much sun screen.
If my followers request, will attempt to post a photo. :)

Hey....it's wonderful to hear from you! I'm so tickled you had a great time.

Yes...please post a pic or two. :greetings10:

Johnnie36
I was told that cockroaches are a big problem in Florida. Is that really the case? I am semi thinking about relocating to FL in ER, but I absolutely hate (and fear) the sight and the thought of cockroaches, especially those giant ones you see in Asia. ....Maybe I should add snakes on my list as well.

Last edited:
Johnnie36
I was told that cockroaches are a big problem in Florida. Is that really the case? I am semi thinking about relocating to FL in ER, but I absolutely hate (and fear) the sight and the thought of cockroaches, especially those giant ones you see in Asia. ....Maybe I should add snakes on my list as well.
They are if you feed them. :LOL: Wait 'til you see the palmetto bugs! Big FLYING cockroaches! Then there are the mole crickets, the rhinoceros beetles, the love bugs, the mossies, the black widows, the rattlers and the water moccasins.

You might want to try a dry run before you buy the condo. :cool:

They are if you feed them. :LOL: Wait 'til you see the palmetto bugs! Big FLYING cockroaches! Then there are the mole crickets, the rhinoceros beetles, the love bugs, the mossies, the black widows, the rattlers and the water moccasins.

You might want to try a dry run before you buy the condo. :cool:
Don't forget the termites.

Love bugs are nasty. In season you have to drive through them on the highways and they plaster the front grill of the car. Need a powerwash to get them off.

bondi, all those roaches and palmetto bugs (and more)are down here but I keep them at bay through pest control service. My Terminix guy shows up every 90 days and treats the outside of the house and lawn. If you kill them on the outside, you don't have to fight them inside. Once a year the tech guy treats the baseboard area inside and around the ditchen cabinets and that does it. We don't have a problem.

Are you guys pulling my leg ? I was really asking a serious question to see whether the bug problems are for real.

Khan, anxious to hear your story about what areas you visited and what you did. Let us hear from you about your trip.

Are you guys pulling my leg ? I was really asking a serious question to see whether the bug problems are for real.
Nope. Seriously. I even saw a tarantula in a woodpile once.

We lived in a semi-rural part of central FL, but I don't think bigger cities would be any better. The big bugs come from the trees.

A new neighbor invited us over when he first arrived and asked, how do you kill the roaches? I suggested a shotgun.

Thanks, MichaelB, I forgot about the termites. ;) And the gators, but they are a problem only in the country and some of the more outlying suburbs.

Honest, bondi, take a long holiday there and check it out for yourself. FL has its attractions. I would go back , but DW would not.

I was serious about not feeding the cockroaches. (I learned that from Irma
Bombeck.) When I got there, I pulled the fridge and the stove away from the wall, cleaned the floor and walls behind them and all of the grease and dirt behind them, as well as the water tray under the fridge. That, and keeping the house clean, helps a lot. Then, dust under the cabinets with boric acid.

We sealed the holes in the wall where the drains and water lines came through with that foam in a can. We glued wood strips above the sliding glass door and windows to slow down the palmetto bugs (and prevent burglars from popping the door out easy). We sprayed Raid in the tracks top and bottom and on the threshold of the doors to the outside. We had the first three feet or so around the outside of the house sprayed once a year to discourage various bugs. Not much else you can do about the others mentioned above. You can keep them on the outside of your abode, though.

There are other, two-legged, varmints I personally would be more concerned with. Use good sense.

Back
Top Bottom