safety deposit box is being moved

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My bank is closing the branch where I have a safety deposit box. The box holders can either take stuff out and return it to the boxes after the move or can just let the bank move the boxes with the stuff still in them. As I understand it, there are 4-12 boxes attached to one another, so it's not like an individual box could be misplaced or stolen. Any ideas on how to go with this?

I moved the stuff myself when this happened to me. (Small 3 x 4 x 24 box, mostly papers with a few items of tangible value.)

Have they identified a changeover period? Unless you feel a need for Brinks to accompany you or they are requiring you to come for an appointment at an inconvenient time, I'd just go by the old branch with a briefcase or backpack and move the stuff myself.

I moved the stuff myself when this happened to me. (Small 3 x 4 x 24 box, mostly papers with a few items of tangible value.)

Have they identified a changeover period? Unless you feel a need for Brinks to accompany you or they are requiring you to come for an appointment at an inconvenient time, I'd just go by the old branch with a briefcase or backpack and move the stuff myself.

+1

Bring a couple of heavily armed guards with you to the bank. Tell them to keep looking over their shoulders for potentially dangerous passers-by. Leave your car parked out front with its engine running.

Follow these simple precautions, and you shouldn't have any problem.
:angel:

I always pack my 5 shooter, when I go to the bank. because I can.

Redduck, is there any reason you can't move your things?

Redduck, is there any reason you can't move your things?

No, I can move my stuff if I like (and then put it all back a few days later). I'm just wondering if the contents would be safer in the box than with me. I guess for peace of mind, I should take the goodies out.

I would move them myself. I did many times when I moved locations. Don't even have a box now. Just keep at home in a fire safe.

You know, I bet this is one of those "there's no right answer" situations. Either way, something can go wrong, but at the same time, either option will probably work. If we're talking about stuff that can't be replaced, I'd take the contents and move them myself - but I have trust issues with banks. If the contents are replaceable and their loss covered under homeowners insurance, your risk is minimal.

Last edited:
we had that happen (bank moved the branch). We let them move the box - no issue at all

Hopefully the bank read the stories about the Sun Trust in Haile Plantation that recently renovated and destroyed a bunch of boxes that were supposed to be empty but were not. This place will probably be extra careful.

Back
Top Bottom