The states people are fleeing from in 2013

To me, it appears to reflect a combination of retirees moving to kinder climates/lower cost states, and younger people moving to where the jobs are.

Amethyst

Interesting that most of them are blue states. Just a coincidence I suppose.

Interesting that most of them are blue states. Just a coincidence I suppose.

To me, it appears to reflect a combination of retirees moving to kinder climates/lower cost states, and younger people moving to where the jobs are.

Amethyst

Blue = Cold, looks like the movement is from Frost Belt to Sun Belt.

It can be deceptive though. What is the make-up of those leaving/arriving?

Some States (like mine) have the high earners leaving while those looking for more generous public services are coming in; a net gain in population.

Michigan has started to tax pensions again. One more reason to move for me.

It can be deceptive though. What is the make-up of those leaving/arriving?

Some States (like mine) have the high earners leaving while those looking for more generous public services are coming in; a net gain in population.

Seems like that will not go well.:)

I don't think we can conclude much from this study since it's based on United's customers. So it excludes folks like students who are graduating and moving to where they find jobs.

It seems that more are coming into NJ than leaving!

I don't think we can conclude much from this study since it's based on United's customers. So it excludes folks like students who are graduating and moving to where they find jobs.

I was talking to Border Patrol yesterday, the flood doors have opened.:angel:

Most made sense to me...except New Mexico:confused: I'd have thought it was a destination state for retirees. Of course, I have no real knowledge of NM or for that matter the southwest states.

We left FL 18 years ago for work. In NC now. Have to admit, while I prefer the seasonal climate I don't care for the income taxes here. Not bad enough to uproot, but it has crossed my mind. Especially given the real estate deals. I guess being a part of FL retiree population cliche is not appealing either!

The only thing keeping us from considering FL is the storms and accompanying insurance insanity!

I don't think it's mandatory that you have to become a "cliche" simply because you are retired and live in FL. I think that may be up to the individual.

Amethyst

I guess being a part of FL retiree population cliche is not appealing either!

H2ODude
NM was the surprise I was mentioning. It is on many lists of "Best States to Retire In", but not all residents are retirees, and maybe the economy and job situation stink.

Last edited:
Bogus article! Since when is Washington DC a State?
It would be unreasonable if DC were not included. It is part of the country. Its citizens are full-fledged US citizens in every way except that they have no voting representation in Congress. ("Taxation Without Representation" is on the current DC license plate.) FWIW, DC's population was higher than that of Vermont or Wyoming in the 2010 census.

Back
Top Bottom