Gothic Rock

Oh gosh. Can I post links to 20 or 30 videos in the same post? I just don't know how to narrow it down to one or two!

Of all the bands in this genre, The Cure really stand out to me because, although they started out as a particularly dirgey goth-type band, with songs like A Strange Day and Charlotte Sometimes, they progressed beyond that, to produce songs with very strong pop sensibilities (Love Cats) as well as ballads, like Love Song (every good band has to have some ballads.) I didn't realize how strong their songs were until I heard the acoustic versions. Even though Robert Smith's voice is unique and instantly recognizable, it is not merely stylized - there is vulnerability and emotion in his delivery. It's no wonder the girls love him!

Anyway, whenever I think of goth rock, as well as the bands that Purron mentioned, I also think of artists like Sisters Of Mercy and The Mission UK, to name a couple.

Sisters of mercy - This corrosion - YouTube

The Mission UK - Wasteland - YouTube

I think early Echo and The Bunnymen count as well. I first heard this track on John Peel's show -

Over the Wall. Echo and the Bunnymen. - YouTube

Now I'm getting flashbacks to watching MTV's 120 Minutes with Dave Kendall, waiting for our favorite videos to come on!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Other than The Doors, this may be the only goth in my collection...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom