I got a raise

iam21177

Recycles dryer sheets
Last year, I finished a Master's degree in water resources engineering and hydrology all while working part to full-time at my current job. Took me 5 years to complete while working, I started with Calc I! I paid off all my student loans before graduating too!

I've taken on new tasks at work over the course of my degree. While I am not a water manager right now, what I do is all related and helps water managers make their decisions - a supporting role if you will. My position was finally re-evaluated for a salary adjustment.

I am happy I got a raise; it's a 17% increase. I was told before I even started the degree that I would get a raise as a result. But I guess I was thinking it'd be more based on titles, ranges and level of education.

There wasn't any bartering or salary discussion in this process. It's all up to HR (it's a university). My boss said he tried to plug how crucial I am, and how I'm the only one in the state that can do what I do right now (if I trained others, they would know, but currently it's only me).

So, be grateful I even have employment and got a raise? My husband feels I should march in there and announce that I'm worth more and feels I'm letting them walk all over me. He works for the same university but they are a different research entity and have their own HR system. I'm not sure it works the same here as over there.

Last edited:
I am happy I got a raise; it's a 17% increase... My husband feels I should march in there and announce that I'm worth more and feels I'm letting them walk all over me.

If a 17% raise is "being walked all over" then my employer(if I had one) can walk all over me anytime they want. Congrats on the raise!

Go in with data, not feelings. Try to find comparable nation wide. You may need to dig then adjust for local compensation levels if that is a factor.

There is a compensation site, I think it is salary.com, that will give an employee a free report. Give that a spin.

Go in with data, not feelings. Try to find comparable nation wide. You may need to dig then adjust for local compensation levels if that is a factor.

There is a compensation site, I think it is salary.com, that will give an employee a free report. Give that a spin.

That was the thing, there is no comparable data on what I do and that's what my boss tried to tell them because that is what HR would do. Only 10 people in the whole US (last I checked) have this specialty.

I did start pretty low salary wise.

I do other tasks that are more easily researched, so maybe they went off of those and not the specialty role. I will look the others up on salary.com.

Last edited:
Get information from each of the 10 (don't bother with salary.com), contact them personally if necessary.

Here is what to ask: years of experience in the field, degree because universities value that, current total pay (private industry pays bonuses sometimes), basic information about fringe benefits, type of employer (public, private, academic), location.

Put the info in a a spreadsheet. A regression analysis may not work with this small universe but give it a spin using years of experience and pay to see if there is a correlation.

To the extent possible find employees working for an academic institution as your employer is more likely to want to pay like them (it is an ego thing). If they claim that pay is lower in Utah ask them to show you that is true for your best match cohorts. It may be true if your cohort works for Stanford but not necessarily for the State of Washington.,

If your pay is lower than any of the others shame is a very effective tool. Your goal is to get increases at a rapid rate to at least the median pay of your cohorts.

Congratulations Gina, on the degree and the raise!

Now that you are finished with studying, you will have time to contact some companies that need your skills. You may not switch jobs just yet, but do some background research and find out what your skills are worth in the private sector. Assuming that your skills are worth more than your current earnings, I would suggest using the next year or so to build a portfolio of achievements that attest to your KSAs and then have a discussion with your University about "using it or losing it". Of course, if a great opportunity comes up in the meantime, you should be prepared, with a good CV and readiness for n interview.

Get information from each of the 10 (don't bother with salary.com), contact them personally if necessary.

Here is what to ask: years of experience in the field, degree because universities value that, current total pay (private industry pays bonuses sometimes), basic information about fringe benefits, type of employer (public, private, academic), location.

Put the info in a a spreadsheet. A regression analysis may not work with this small universe but give it a spin using years of experience and pay to see if there is a correlation.

To the extent possible find employees working for an academic institution as your employer is more likely to want to pay like them (it is an ego thing). If they claim that pay is lower in Utah ask them to show you that is true for your best match cohorts. It may be true if your cohort works for Stanford but not necessarily for the State of Washington.,

If your pay is lower than any of the others shame is a very effective tool. Your goal is to get increases at a rapid rate to at least the median pay of your cohorts.

That's an idea. I can contact the Finnish company that does all the training and ask for the US contacts. It would be interesting!

Meanwhile, I'm still going to celebrate!

They will even backpay me to the first of the year!

Cool!

Keep in mind that HR may have compensation increases that your department must work within. Compensation within organizations is data driven.

Cool!

Keep in mind that HR may have compensation increases that your department must work within. Compensation within organizations is data driven.

That is true. I know at least for the annual COL raises my department is given a lump sum for everyone, and the director has to figure who gets 0.25% and who gets COL 3% raises and who gets an actual salary change. I was on the 0% end for 5 years.

That's something my husband's building does not do.

Congratulations Ginadog. I've always had a great deal of respect for those who work full time and still make time to get an advanced degree. I never got around to it.

Brat - where were you when I was working? You have a calling in salary negotiations!

I almost moved from Employee Relations to Compensation back in the day. I was a part of a broad band project so really got to know our corporate compensation staff and watch them work their magic.

The key benchmark is median pay for the set point. Those under the median got higher % raises than those above it. Salary range was rarely wider than 20% +/- the median.

When writing job descriptions it is important to note 'critical skills', those that make a difference to the employer vs what the employee may spend a lot of time doing.

The OP should take a look at her job description to see if it accurately reflects her new critical skill. Ignore job title, focus on the duties and responsibilities. The revised job description together with salary data is what she should present at her next negotiation.

One of the potential limitations in her situation is that she is in Utah with a husband who works for the same organization. Her employer may believe she can't/won't walk which is a difficult negotiating position. That is why shame may be a good tactic.

Congrats gina dog!

I'm not sure where in Utah you are. My guess is somewhere in northern Utah. Regardless, I've found wages (and benefits here) to be lacking - both for men and women. For me, I'm underpaid by about $30k, perhaps more. Plus other benefits. Nonetheless, I'm still trying to decide if I am going to stay or go, but if I do stay, I'm ready to put the screws to them. The difference is, my wife is attracted to the area rather than somewhere like Denver. But, I'm ready to walk and can easily get a job somewhere else (for money, probably marginally better work environment plus better bene's) if I need to (and they pay for the relo). The point is, Utah companies, in general, screw you until you squeal. And then the people here take it, so they end up getting away with it. There's no point in saying, "people across the country are making this..." when you aren't going to leave anyway. Knowing your hubby works at the same place, and seeing you just got a 17% raise, I would say, "fine, take one of those other jobs".

A second point is, I would caution making the argument that only a handful of people nationwide do what you do. While I get it shows a low supply (and in your mind a should command a higher price), the other side of the coin is it may be in low demand (which you probably disagree with, and that is okay). I'm trying to point out how the powers that be can view your position.

Lastly, I would encourage you to work through your immediate superior. It sounds like he went to the mat for you. And perhaps he can help put you on a plan that gets you where you need to be in year or two. He should be working it out for you.

But, like I said, if at the end of the day they don't perceive you'll leave, there is no reason to give you a raise.

Again, congrats on the sizeable raise, enjoy and I hope you are able to get you perceive as fair. My hat is off to you for doing the full time work/part time school thing as well.

That's an idea. I can contact the Finnish company that does all the training and ask for the US contacts. It would be interesting!

It is interesting.... but there is one thing when it comes to employement... what other options do YOU have:confused:

IOW, they can pay you a low salary (even if you are one of 10 people who know how to do something (seems strange to me that anything is this low, but hey)).... as long as you can not get another job...

I would think that is there are only 10 people who know how to do what you do.... the NEED for this skill is only 10 employers... (or there about)...

So, what really is your possibility on taking your skills to another company:confused: And getting better money to boot!!!

If the answer is 'not much', then they are not walking all over you...

edit... just read ronocnikral's comments... like mine... just want to say...

Last edited:
Oh Congratulations Ginadog! I love to hear good news! Especially when it is deserved!

Thank you! I have no idea how I managed work and school together, but I know enough to never do it again. Very, very difficult. I even went through a divorce during the first year of school. Kept the house, bought out the ex. Buying a home that one income could afford was crucial. The sale of that house (once I was engaged recently) is what paid off the the few students I did have.

Best way to find out what you're worth is to ask around at other companies and simply talk to your boss about what he thinks you are worth. Many people make the mistake of treating their company relationship like they would a personal one.

Example: early on in my career I was working for a company where I was clearly WAY below the average age. Most in my office were in their 50's and 60's with PhD's and here I was a new grad just trying to keep up. Loved the environment, learned A TON.

My first year I got a standard raise of 3.5% and was told that the company across the board gives this raise and that I fell right in the middle as a new employee. Some who were below average got 3% and others who were above got 4%. The next year, the same speech was given to me... this time the average raise being 4.5%.

I stressed myself for the next year about a way to approach my boss to tell him I thought I was worth more. Ultimately I came up with the following plan to say: "Look, I appreciate that the company has these average raises across the board, but I looked up online what someone who is really advanced in this field is making, like most of my older colleagues here that I'm learning from. My best guess is that their salaries are in the 150-175K range and I just wanted to ask if these 3-4% averages raises are putting me on track to be at that level relative to inflation by the time I'm as advanced as them? Also, don't younger employees typically advance in pay faster than they do later in their career?"

My boss being the engineer type he was, did some mental math and said "you are absolutely correct, a younger employee like you should be getting a larger raise early in your career. We want to make sure we stay competitive and don't lose you."

The next two years my raise was in the 7.5-9% range... about twice what the company average was :)

Can't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Best way to find out what you're worth is to ask around at other companies and simply talk to your boss about what he thinks you are worth. Many people make the mistake of treating their company relationship like they would a personal one.

Example: early on in my career I was working for a company where I was clearly WAY below the average age. Most in my office were in their 50's and 60's with PhD's and here I was a new grad just trying to keep up. Loved the environment, learned A TON.

My first year I got a standard raise of 3.5% and was told that the company across the board gives this raise and that I fell right in the middle as a new employee. Some who were below average got 3% and others who were above got 4%. The next year, the same speech was given to me... this time the average raise being 4.5%.

I stressed myself for the next year about a way to approach my boss to tell him I thought I was worth more. Ultimately I came up with the following plan to say: "Look, I appreciate that the company has these average raises across the board, but I looked up online what someone who is really advanced in this field is making, like most of my older colleagues here that I'm learning from. My best guess is that their salaries are in the 150-175K range and I just wanted to ask if these 3-4% averages raises are putting me on track to be at that level relative to inflation by the time I'm as advanced as them? Also, don't younger employees typically advance in pay faster than they do later in their career?"

My boss being the engineer type he was, did some mental math and said "you are absolutely correct, a younger employee like you should be getting a larger raise early in your career. We want to make sure we stay competitive and don't lose you."

The next two years my raise was in the 7.5-9% range... about twice what the company average was :)

Can't hurt to ask.

I like that approach. I once used a similar approach to negotiate a significant raise. I did all the research and went in with tables, graphs and inflation adjusted expected and actual numbers. If you are worth keeping, they will understand your replacement cost. Going into a negotiation with data shows them that you are taking this seriously, and so should they. They did.

Last year, I finished a Master's degree in water resources engineering and hydrology all while working part to full-time at my current job. Took me 5 years to complete while working, I started with Calc I! I paid off all my student loans before graduating too!

I've taken on new tasks at work over the course of my degree. While I am not a water manager right now, what I do is all related and helps water managers make their decisions - a supporting role if you will. My position was finally re-evaluated for a salary adjustment.

I am happy I got a raise; it's a 17% increase. I was told before I even started the degree that I would get a raise as a result. But I guess I was thinking it'd be more based on titles, ranges and level of education.

There wasn't any bartering or salary discussion in this process. It's all up to HR (it's a university). My boss said he tried to plug how crucial I am, and how I'm the only one in the state that can do what I do right now (if I trained others, they would know, but currently it's only me).

So, be grateful I even have employment and got a raise? My husband feels I should march in there and announce that I'm worth more and feels I'm letting them walk all over me. He works for the same university but they are a different research entity and have their own HR system. I'm not sure it works the same here as over there.

Water resources mgt + hydrology? I always wanted to do that. Maybe in another life.
I am sure you are getting plenty of sage career advice from the others. I just want to say congrats to you and enjoy basking in the sunshine.

Reminds me of DW earlier in her career. She used to complain about work to me alot. What's that, you got a 10% raise? Another one. Isn't that the second 10% raise this year? "Yea but I am still under paid compared to the male peers." She was definitely doing something right.

Congrats gina dog!

A second point is, I would caution making the argument that only a handful of people nationwide do what you do. While I get it shows a low supply (and in your mind a should command a higher price), the other side of the coin is it may be in low demand (which you probably disagree with, and that is okay). I'm trying to point out how the powers that be can view your position.

Congrats on the degree and the raise! I also did my MBA part-time and I know what a time drain it is. Good job!

I would second ronocnikral's comment. It may be that your skills have enormous value for your current employer, but if only 10 ppl are doing this across the nation, the market may be telling you there is not much demand for your skills, so you may have no choice except to work through negotiations with your employer. And they probably know that too.

So at the end of the day, unless its a credible threat that you will walk away and quickly get another job paying more, in the same location (since your husband also works there...)...you may well just accept this raise and continue to negotiate in the future for more increases by carefully documenting your specific contributions over time.

Also from a risk perspective, be wary of getting too specific in your skill set for your current employer. Make sure you consider how your resume would look to other potential employers should you ever want (or need) to make the leap.

Wow nice raise.

This year I got 2.5% and a family member got 1%. Unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom