Buying a car- negotiation struggles

JohnGalt

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hey all - i need help! I'm looking to buy a car for my wife and its tougher than I thought. I went and looked at a 3 year old Jetta TDI wagon and they wanted $22,900. It has 35k miles. I offered 17,500. No go. The said they could go no lower than $22k. Really?? A 900$ cut? What happened to dealers marking up prices like crazy just to bait suckers. In the Internet age has the car dealership world changed?

How low should I expect to get a new or used car under the asking price?

Nice job! Walking away is an excellent strategy. In my experience, if the dealership has your contact information, they always call in a couple of days if the vehicle remains unsold in order to renegotiate. Then you can come up $900!

It all depends on how much they are asking. Same car on two lots, one priced at $22k, one priced at $26k, my guess is you can get more off the price from the one asking $26k

KBB.Com lists an estimate for a certified pre-owned 3 year old Jetta TDI wagon with 35k miles at $22,861.

Also looked it up on KBB (which everyone tends to use) and even if you were buying this car from a private seller you'd be looking at $18,500 or so on the price.

My guess is that getting the dealer down to 21.5K is possible... anything below that would be a steal. Remember that you are reducing the risk of getting a lemon by going to the dealer... that is obviously why you pay the higher price.

Good luck!

The asking price of a used car is nearly meaningless. Find out how much the car is worth from kbb.com as a guide to work from. Yes, some dealerships have changed, and some even do no-haggle prices that they don't move from.

Hey all - i need help! I'm looking to buy a car for my wife and its tougher than I thought. I went and looked at a 3 year old Jetta TDI wagon and they wanted $22,900. It has 35k miles. I offered 17,500. No go. The said they could go no lower than $22k. Really?? A 900$ cut? What happened to dealers marking up prices like crazy just to bait suckers. In the Internet age has the car dealership world changed?

I use blackbook prices, that is what dealers are getting retail

Black Book Weekly Values Lite

depending on condition, 22k is in the ball park. purchase from an individual would be a few $k less. Being a diesel probably gets a premium.

I usually look at autotrader.com to see what other are selling the car for. Do a sort from low price to high to find out the best deal on the internet. That usually reflects the real price that the market will bear for the car assuming you are only looking at educated consumers.

Thanks for the quick responses! So- blue book is my low price? Anything less is luck? Or if I go in at month end when they need to meet quotas- can they go lower?

Also- am I looking at the wrong car? I want to retire at 50, but not hating life all the way there.

My wife needs cargo space to easily fit a double stroller.

Any model / year recommendations? I thought about a VW wagon from the early 00's with 100k miles- but I worry about VW reliability during that time.

You have to
a) not fall in love with the car (at least that the dealer can see) - you're done if the dealer senses you want THAT car, and they're trained to recognize your "pulse,"
b) be willing to walk out (as you did), and
c) go to various dealers. In my experience the same car at various dealers can have a wide variance on pricing if you play them against each other, and it changes from year to year (on who is lowest).

It probably doesn't help that you went in at the beginning of a month after the end of a quarter, though for used cars that may not really apply (not sure, but it does for new ones).

With no options, this source says the car is worth $18-19K, but you never know until you test the bottom with 2-3 dealers at least. Best of luck...
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/jetta/2010/tmv-appraise-results.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses! So- blue book is my low price? Anything less is luck? Or if I go in at month end when they need to meet quotas- can they go lower?

Also- am I looking at the wrong car? I want to retire at 50, but not hating life all the way there.

My wife needs cargo space to easily fit a double stroller.

Any model / year recommendations? I thought about a VW wagon from the early 00's with 100k miles- but I worry about VW reliability during that time.

You have to a) not fall in love with the car (at least that the dealer can see), b) be willing to walk out (as you did), and c) go to various dealers. In my experience the same car at various dealers can have a wide variance on pricing if you play them against each other, and it changes from year to year (on who is lowest).

It probably doesn't help that you went in at the beginning of a month after the end of a quarter, though for used cars that may not really apply (not sure, but it does for new ones).

Some former auto dealer/salesman might chime in, but I do not think there is a quota on used car sales... it is not like they are getting incentives from the mfg to sell used cars... and that is why they usually try and meet quotas...

Now, if it is sitting on their lot for awhile, then they will deal as that is costing them money for it to sit...

Room for double stroller implies two car seats.

Option I'd look at is a 2011-12 Kia Sedona if price is an issue and room real important. Won't get near the gas mileage of a TDI but gobs of cargo room and easy access to car seats. Parts could be an issue if the NOrth invades the South.

But it is a minivan, lots of folks won't consider it even though you can't beat them for roominess, stability, half decent gas mileage (compared to SUVs),

I've got two minivans and I won't be without one until the youngest graduates college, any other vehicle is a PITA. Mine are Ford's but not made anymore.

Also- am I looking at the wrong car? I want to retire at 50, but not hating life all the way there. . . .
VWs have a reputation as fun to drive and slightly high priced for what you get. They are solid, but not the reliable, drive-it-200K-miles-without-any-trouble cars that a Honda or Toyota sedan often proves to be. The Jetta TDIs have been more reliable than many VWs, but I'd still bet on a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru as being more reliable and less costly over the long haul. AS far as the turbodiesel: Crunch the numbers on alternatives and use the amount of miles you'll actually put onthe car to determine how fuel costs compare to maintenance costs in your case.

We looked at dodge grand caravans- any thoughts on those? The Kias are more expensive

You can get a better price from an individual, though selection is usually less. Have it checked out for $100 by an independent mechanic before you buy. Or buy still under warranty.

I pay a lot of attention to the seller - I prefer upper middle class that have maintained the car, but want to get more than they'd get from a dealer on trade.

We looked at dodge grand caravans- any thoughts on those? The Kias are more expensive

I'd look at Odyssey or Sienna as a better long term value. One transmission makes up for a higher initial sales price.

I am doing the same thing, but with a new 2013 Mini Cooper Paceman. I took in my trade and wanted 27k for it and 3K off the new car they offered 23K and nothing off the new car. I walked, now after several calls from them we are at 25K trade and 1k off the new car; I told them they need to do better, just waiting on their next call.

A 3 year old Jetta TDI sports wagon could be a 09-10 model. Tell the seller that on the HPFP failure topic, there have been more than 5270 posts on TDI club forum since 2009. Also if the original faulty temp. sensor in DSG (auto trans model) hasn’t been replaced, nor hasn’t the ECU code been flashed yet, then expect to be left in limp mode all of sudden on a busy multi-lane highway [-]due to conscious decision/logic by VW engineers[/-]. BTW, ask the seller to throw in a special engine oil filler kit so that you won’t have to turn the vehicle 180 degree upside down for DIY oil change. Even better, ask the seller to bundle a VCD software in the deal for DIY brake pads replacement job and priming fuel line after filter change. What else? Oh, you’d better to call your local VW dealer for a labor quote on a clogged DPF filter replacement.

So when all these things are being considered, your offer doesn't seem to be too far off. Do you still want that car now?

It depends on the popularity of the car, among other things. You are asking $5500 off on one of the best gas mileage and popular cars in the US, and of course they said no..........;)

The Internet has been a blessing and a curse for car buyers and sellers..........

I have a friend that owns a 2-year old TDI wagon and gets calls from VW dealers as far as 200 miles away trying to buy his car from him!

You should be able to get a Dodge minivan at a good price. They sell with a lot of incentives new, so their trade value suffers, and good deals can be had. Even a DOdge will have lower maintenance costs than a VW..........:facepalm:

I think the short answer to the internet question is: yes. Prices seem to revert to the mean because of the internet. If a dealer puts up a car that has a huge sandbag markup it won't even get looked at online, since I'd guess most searchers sort by price ascending, or by mileage/price ascending. Either that, or the dealer has to list substantially different prices online versus on lot, and that carries plenty of other issues. The more popular and common the car, the more this applies.

What happened to dealers marking up prices like crazy just to bait suckers. In the Internet age has the car dealership world changed?

How do I decide if we should get a 2-3 year old car or a 8 year old+ car? It seems like the 8 year old will be a maintenance nightmare, or it could be worry free for 120k miles

How do I decide if we should get a 2-3 year old car or a 8 year old+ car? It seems like the 8 year old will be a maintenance nightmare, or it could be worry free for 120k miles
I could take the time to explain why, but I'll just say buying an 8 year old car is probably a bad idea unless you're very savvy about maintaining cars, don't mind getting a new 8 year old car more often, and consider yourself lucky. New or 2-3 year old cars are likely much better bets for most people. Not sure how 8 year old cars got into the discussion, but no matter...

Just purchased a 2013 Honda Accord. Honda is having an incentive type deal the month of April (low % financing). Check out the Accords...there are several price points for the Accord model. I'm happy with mine so far. Has back up camera and other nice features. You might be better off getting a new car this time.

Back
Top Bottom