When the Music is Over

I've been watching youtube videos all night. He is a very good speaker, and active until recently. I didn't even know he was a Chicago guy ('Sout Side', St Rita's, and a degree from DePaul before going to UCLA).

I'm still looking for the one where they discuss the editing of "Light My Fire" to make it a single, I saw it a few years ago. The band just couldn't imagine how the engineer or producers were going to cut the solos down and still keep the feel of the song. They were imagining a million edits (tape cuts in those days). Then he played it for them, and wham - the solos were just gone, cut out completely, poof! The band wanted to kill the guys. But then they said - Imagine you are a kid in Iowa, listening on AM radio, and you've never heard the full version before. You hear this - does it work?

And they agreed that it worked.

I'm not a very good keyboard player, but I've carried the 'muscle memory' of that intro to "Light My Fire" for all these years. When I hear the song (or it pops in my head), I have to play 'desk' Vox Continental (keyboard version of 'air guitar').

-ERD50

so now you can kick Jim's arse for leaving us so young. the baby boomer groupies will be happy to see you play in heaven

Last edited:
He provided the bass line with his left hand and the more-traditional organ line with his right. I also agree that he was well spoken......

I was watching a TV special on the Doors. I think Ray narrated it. More of a real story than the Stone hatchet job. Impressive that their music was never used to sell products. I will miss him.

The story on "Light My Fire" was that all the band members were given an assignment to write a song over the weekend. Not bad for a rush job.

I'm not a very good keyboard player, but I've carried the 'muscle memory' of that intro to "Light My Fire" for all these years. When I hear the song (or it pops in my head), I have to play 'desk' Vox Continental (keyboard version of 'air guitar').

-ERD50

How 'bout the intro and solo for In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? :cool:

Vox Continental - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How 'bout the intro and solo for In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida? :cool:

Vox Continental - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, most of those will get my fingers moving!

After listening/reading more background info on Light My Fire, I'm wondering how they decided to lead the organ intro with that single drum crack? Seems unusual, but maybe I've just never noticed it in other songs.

- ERD50

Back
Top Bottom