Keeping your mind active gives a longer life...

Redbugdave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Actually that is the hook. It's more than just that...it's physical, emotional, social, and mental.
Several subjects are in this presentation that periodically come up on these forums. This is about how a certain outlook on your life will extend your life. Many of us probably already "get it"...realizing what makes us happy. I am not a game player technically, (probably like a lot of you), but have my own type of like mental exercises. These forums are one type of them. Watch the presentation and you will understand...
This is more than...and deeper than just, "games".
Opinions?

Jane McGonigal: The game that can give you 10 extra years of life | Video on TED.com

Last edited:
Keeping an active mind can help you live longer, but it can also make you ill. It is important that you keep your mind active in a productive way rather than over stressing or causing yourself to feel negative towards life.

I've heard somewhere that nuns live relatively long lives and that there's speculation that their longevity is attributed to prayer and meditation.

Very good talk, thank you. Jane M. gets a little carried away with her inferences sometimes, but I think she means well, and I like her talks. The thing I liked the most about this one was the reminder of the 5 regrets of the dying, and the parallels between that list and the positive response to trauma. I've heard that list several times lately, and it sounds right to me -- "worked too hard" and "Not true to my real self" being the two that really stand out for me. I also find the parallel interesting and true -- I know that when I've come through a difficult experience, I reorient toward what's most important. I also enjoyed her story about her concussion and how she got over it.

Oh, and the clinical trial that showed 30 min of online gaming was as effective as antidepressants ... that was surprising, I had never heard that before. When I play online, I usually get crushed (damn kids and their lightning reflexes), so I don't find it particularly enjoyable. Maybe she's talking about more social games, not ones where you try to kill each other...

Back
Top Bottom