Some new guy

PastExpiry

Confused about dryer sheets
Just a dude in his mid 40's that has been working steadily since 1990 in the tech industry. Just tired of the rat race. No house, but no debt. Networth is top secret. Divorced, two sons aged 18 and 15 with child support hopefully ending in the next 5 years or so. Saving approximately $850 per month towards the goal of early retirement. Finding it A LOT easier to save money and live frugally without a 'significant other'

I create a cartoon strip in my spare time, partly to de-stress. Made some sales years ago, and hope to re-start that soon!

Here's a video of the late Jack. He never got to retirement...:(

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the strip. I have written a few novels, and one of these days might try to sell a few copies. But for me, it was more about the doing than the selling. And the four years I spent writing them, I was too busy to spend money.

The habit of LBYM can make you feel better than mindless spending. Plus the savings give you comfort you can't find without some kind of safety net. And starting in your mid 40's is still sooner than most.

I see there is quite the fascination with dryer sheets in this forum. I save money by not buying them.

Love your hamster. Sorry to hear of his untimely demise. That tends to be the way of it with hamsters.

I'm guessing Waterloo Ontario as your location since you say you're in the tech industry. I hope it's not RIM, I heard they just announced more layoffs today. I'm just down the road in Toronto.

That's a great little video. Welcome to the forum.

Hilarious video. I've already shared it.

Ha

Love your hamster. Sorry to hear of his untimely demise. That tends to be the way of it with hamsters.

I'm guessing Waterloo Ontario as your location since you say you're in the tech industry. I hope it's not RIM, I heard they just announced more layoffs today. I'm just down the road in Toronto.

Nope, I am not a RIM (aka. Blackberry). I did however survive layoffs last Friday that cut the company I work for by 1/3rd.

Irony.

Hi PastExpiry,

Welcome to the forum. If you are shy about sharing your net worth info, but need advice at some point which might otherwise require it, you can give a reference number instead. For instance, you might say my NW is 7.6 X my yearly expenses. Or you might say that it would require you to spend 3.5% of NW to meet your expenses, etc. These kinds of figures reveal relatively little, but say a lot about your preparedness for early retirement. As with all things in life, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom