Haven't seen this question before.

bmass

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi I'm B

Lurker for years. Haven't seen this question before. Self employed for 35+ years. Got out of all debt house, auto, cc, everything about 25 years ago.
Have used a debit card for all those years for business and personal use.
Have rented cars numerous times, traveled over seas, used like a credit card never been turned down.

Want to start doing a lot of traveling. Want to accumulate travel miles, etc.
Applied for a CC a few days ago turned down do to no credit bureau file on any of the three. I understand and can accept that.

I do business with companies world wide with my debit card.
Should I try to get a CC to get the travel points or just continue doing the same.

Sorry for the long first post and this a legit question.

B

Agree that get a secured card for a while and then establish a record of payment. Or another option if you want/need a new car is get a car loan with some of the real low interest rates. That will also build payment history.

I don't think you have zero credit, as your record does not indicate late payments for utilities and such. What you do not have is open credit accounts.

Get a secured card, preferably from a local Credit Union. Ask for a card that wil automatically get changed to an regular, unsecured credit card after a certain amount of time, about 6 months. Of course, it goes with out saying that you should pay every bill on time, never go over your limit, etc.

Get a secured card, preferably from a local Credit Union. Ask for a card that wil automatically get changed to an regular, unsecured credit card after a certain amount of time, about 6 months. Of course, it goes with out saying that you should pay every bill on time, never go over your limit, etc.

If you are doing this with a credit union or small bank, make a significant deposit if you do not have it there already. Always helps get their attention.

The credit landscape has changed a lot since I got my first credit card, so my experience may not be relevant. But after I got turned down because of no credit history, I went to the bank where I had most of my accounts. They issued me a regular credit card (not prepaid), which I suspected at the time was because they could see that I had a lot of money deposited with them and hence was unlikely to default on my card.

If your local bank also won't issue you a credit card, they at any rate would be a good choice opening up a prepaid card.

Hi I'm B

Lurker for years. Haven't seen this question before. Self employed for 35+ years. Got out of all debt house, auto, cc, everything about 25 years ago.
Have used a debit card for all those years for business and personal use.
Have rented cars numerous times, traveled over seas, used like a credit card never been turned down.

Want to start doing a lot of traveling. Want to accumulate travel miles, etc.
Applied for a CC a few days ago turned down do to no credit bureau file on any of the three. I understand and can accept that.

I do business with companies world wide with my debit card.
Should I try to get a CC to get the travel points or just continue doing the same.

Sorry for the long first post and this a legit question.

B
Are you an Amazon customer? You might try there. 3% cash reward on purchases.

I doubt it's the bank's decision whether you have sufficient credit history to get a card. That's probably up to Visa/MC or whomever. Otherwise, I'd tell the bank through which my debit card was issued that if they can't see fit to provide with a debit, I'd be looking elsewhere for my banking needs.

Other option- start taking out cash loans and paying them back quickly. Use share secured loans at a credit union: put $10000 in a savings account, and borrow $10000 using the account funds as collateral. Interest rate is usually a couple of percent higher than what the account pays, which isn't much lol. Pay it off in thirty days. Might cost you $30 in interest. Check with the bank or with Visa/MC and ask them how much credit history you need to get a card.

Just off the top of my head...

Actually the issuing bank makes the credit decision.

A lot of good ideas I hadn't thought of.
Thanks very much.
B

. Pay it off in thirty days. Might cost you $30 in interest. Check with the bank or with Visa/MC and ask them how much credit history you need to get a card.

Just off the top of my head...

It takes about six months if regular payments to establish credit.

Back
Top Bottom