Pikes Peak or Bust!

Hermit

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow! How time flies. It was a year and a half ago when I first started posting on this forum. I was all ready to move to Colorado and start building my cabin. Well, here it is in the Spring of 2014 and I am about to start my big adventure. It wasn't much after that first post that my DS told me that it would be another year until he finished college. I decided to put off retirement for a while and went out to Colorado for a nice 3-week vacation last April. It took me another week back at the grindstone to decide it really was time to retire and I retired the first of July last year.

I spent the rest of last summer in Colorado clearing trees and getting the lot ready for building. I had the well drilled. Hit water at 660 feet and drilled to 680 feet. Contracted to have power lines laid to the lot. I hope that has already been done.

I spent the winter back in Virginia getting things ready for building. I have an excavator and a concrete guy lined up. The plans will be ready to submit to the county in early May. I am hoping to break ground in mid-May.

Here are some pictures of my new place:
The first two are what will be the view from the back deck, one on a sunny day and one on a cloudy day. The third is looking out the front with Pikes Peak in the distance.

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 85
Those are fantastic views, we are jealous.

How long do they think construction will take?

Be sure to send pictures of the progress.

Looks great. What altitude is this lot at?

Those are fantastic views, we are jealous.

How long do they think construction will take?

Be sure to send pictures of the progress.
A friend and I are planning on doing the framing and we will do most of the interior. I'll hire a plumber, but the rest I will do myself. My goal is to get it dryed in before winter. If I get farther that will be nice. Hopefully, I will get it completed over the winter.

Cool- looks like you are in the Colorado foothills, as am I. Great place to live.

If you like the outdoors you have hit the mother lode for retirement activities!

Looks nice. Do you plan to have an RV or something similar to stay in while construction is going on? So tell us more about your build plans.

Cool- looks like you are in the Colorado foothills, as am I. Great place to live.

If you like the outdoors you have hit the mother lode for retirement activities!
I'm surrounded by off-road trails, hiking trails, some of the best rock climbing in the state. Also great fishing and hunting. I had to drive slow last fall with all the hunters in the area. I did my first repelling last summer. I bought a Jeep Rubicon for my retirement present last year and have done some really nice trails. I leave most of the rock climbing to DD when she comes up from Denver.

Looks nice. Do you plan to have an RV or something similar to stay in while construction is going on? So tell us more about your build plans.
"The Hermitage" will be about 900 sq ft with a walkout basement. A 28' by 28' garage with an 11.5 by 20' shop behind. (The architect made me give up 8' of the shop for a dining area.) A second garage below the shop 11.5 by 28'. It will be heated with a wood stove with a propane furnace as a backup and when no one is there. Two bedrooms up with one bedroom, a home theater with wet bar area downstairs.

Home, Sweet Home:

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 60
How much wildfire risk do you run? Have you had any issues with the RV in the winter?

About 8700 feet. :)
Man, that's going to be cold in the winter. Brrr...

My 2nd home is at 7,000ft and it is plenty cold even at a lower latitude (AZ vs. CO). It's nothing compared to what's "up north", but is about what I can handle.

How much wildfire risk do you run? Have you had any issues with the RV in the winter?
Not too much fire risk. The area was burned in the Haymon fire in 2002. The aspen are returning and there are lots of pine trees that are about a foot high now. I will take fire precautions around the building. There is a paper discussing how far away to keep plants and trees and other fire fuels.

The RV is too cold to use in the winter. I came back to Virginia in late October last fall.

Man, that's going to be cold in the winter. Brrr...

My 2nd home is at 7,000ft and it is plenty cold even at a lower latitude (AZ vs. CO). It's nothing compared to what's "up north", but is about what I can handle.
I cut and stacked about 7 cords of firewood last summer. There is enough standing and fallen wood to last many more years. My place will be tight with extra insulation. I'm going to install an efficient wood stove that should keep the place plenty warm. I have a big old Ford 4x4 pickup with a Meyer plow on it to keep the road open. That all said, it certainly will be an adventure.

Once my place is done, I will be volunteering at a kid's camp just down the road. Plan to help the maintenance guy with whatever he needs. There is always more that needs done than time to get it done.

Then again, I may just decide to spend some time down in Arizona in the middle of the winter.:D

Wonderful. Pikes Peak was crystal clear today from the Wet Mtn Valley side. We're at 8450 ft. and doing just fine. Welcome to paradise.

If you haven't picked out a wood stove yet, hearth.com is a wonderful resource.

Wonderful. Pikes Peak was crystal clear today from the Wet Mtn Valley side. We're at 8450 ft. and doing just fine. Welcome to paradise.

If you haven't picked out a wood stove yet, hearth.com is a wonderful resource.
I will use the Woodstock Soapstone Company Fireview stove:

fireview.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I have spent quite a bit of time on hearth.com.

I have spent time in the Wet Mountains. Very nice area. The the son of the guy who will help me build my place was married in Bishop's Castle. That was quite an interesting service and a great party after.

It looks beautiful and secluded, a perfect location for a Hermit!

Hermit - Are you in Teller County by chance? I used to live in there years ago. Had houses in Florissant and Divide.

I really miss it there, although if/when I move back to Colorado it will probably be the Evergreen area so I can be closer to Denver. I enjoyed the Springs area while I lived there, but always felt the Springs was a little too small when I felt like doing things in the city.

But Teller County is beautiful. I have friends in Divide with views of Pikes Peak from their deck, and wow do I get jealous remembering that. Beautiful place.

Congrats on your moving forward, and enjoy Colorado!

Hermit - Are you in Teller County by chance? I used to live in there years ago. Had houses in Florissant and Divide.

I really miss it there, although if/when I move back to Colorado it will probably be the Evergreen area so I can be closer to Denver. I enjoyed the Springs area while I lived there, but always felt the Springs was a little too small when I felt like doing things in the city.

But Teller County is beautiful. I have friends in Divide with views of Pikes Peak from their deck, and wow do I get jealous remembering that. Beautiful place.

Congrats on your moving forward, and enjoy Colorado!
Westcreek is the closest town if you don't mind using fire roads and fording a stream several times. Divide is the best route in and out. 12 or 13 miles of dirt road.

Hermit - your place looks like paradise to me. Beautiful part of the country. I can't wait for my next il-az road trip to pass through there again.

Have fun with your build! ( nice jeep btw)

Westcreek is the closest town if you don't mind using fire roads and fording a stream several times. Divide is the best route in and out. 12 or 13 miles of dirt road.

That sounds so cool. Won't it be a challenge to get all the building materials in?

I would love to do something like that but DW would be concerned about how to get emergency medical treatment............

That sounds so cool. Won't it be a challenge to get all the building materials in?

I would love to do something like that but DW would be concerned about how to get emergency medical treatment............
The road in from Divide isn't bad. DD makes the trip in her Prius. A simi-truck & trailer deliver food to the camp weekly during the summer. Of course in the spring there are mud holes in the road and washboards all year around.

Its about 50 minutes to a medical facility. Flight for Life has been done when necessary. Besides, for me the small risk is more than worth it for the opportunity to serve as best I can at the camp.

I would have gone with Woodstock but they don't make inserts. The Fireview is a fine choice.

Would love to see some in progress photos along the way!

I would have gone with Woodstock but they don't make inserts. The Fireview is a fine choice.

Would love to see some in progress photos along the way!
More in the future.

Drilling the well and 3d sketches:
(You need to click on the pic for a good rendition.)

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 3d front.jpg
    3d front.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 3d back.jpg
    3d back.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom