The Honeymooners

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
This show was in reruns when I first saw it, but it's classic. It set the stage for Seinfeld.

I just saw an episode where Norton was teaching Ralph to golf :D

The honeymooners is definitely in my top 5 all time tv shows. Norton was the original Kramer. Great physical humor. Much of it had to be improv.

I remember I was hot for Alice when I was a kid.

"You're a riot, Alice. A regular riot!" :D

"Hello, ball."

Repeated countless times at golf courses around the world.

Looks like a number of Honeymooners episodes are out on Youtube. Here's the link to "the Golfer" in case anyone wants to see "addressing the ball" (starts at 15:15).

Last edited:
The Honeymooners is timeless humor, even if some of it is outdated and, by today's standard, politically incorrect. I mean, I don't think it could be made today with the constant sexist jokes at Alice and the fat jokes at Ralph. But even when you know all the lines, especially the really funny ones, it is still hilarious to hear them. And one of Gleason's true gifts of humor I have found in only a few actors is his amazing ability to get laughs without speaking any words - just his facial expressions and his eyes can elicit huge laughs.

"You....are a BLABBERMOUTH!" LOL

I grew up watching it,and it had special meaning to me. Ralph Kramden was a NYC bus driver (Norton was a sewer worker), and so was my father. Dad wasn't nearly as funny, but he always got slightly uncomfortable when the show was discussed.

I used to watch the reruns in the 80's.

I loved thier old apartment with the sink on the wall, the old "icebox" and the table and dresser in the kitchen...and the dull walls....yet they were SO FUNNY !!!!!

I have been watching shows lately with an eye to when computers, then cell phones, began to make their appearance....I watched a 1971 movie "Shaft" the other day...wondered how they functioned in NYC in 1971 without computers and cell phones!!! And the cars in the background shots!!! And the clothes... What a hoot...

Sitcoms from the 60s, early 70s....even shows like Rosanne in the 80s/early 90s hardly had a computer until the end, and no cell phones...

Now, every new show people are clutching at and staring at phones...and feature touchscreen TV's (like in Law and Order SVU) in them...Long gone are the days when Aunt Bee answered the wired phone on the wall, speaking to the Operator first!... or Seinfeld answered his portable phone with the mile long antenna!

Another clip from that "Bluemooners" episode earlier in this thread. Very little to do with the Kramdens, but Ray Charles was one of the best.

For those still working, maybe it'll help get past Friday!

http://youtu.be/j-BaaXNhVyA

I received my DVD of the "39 Classic Episodes" today. Know where that'll send me? To the moon!

I received my DVD of the "39 Classic Episodes" today. Know where that'll send me? To the moon!

Totally unrelated, but I remember seeing a cartoon after the Apollo 11 landing. An astronaut peering behind a large bolder at a woman lying on the ground exclaims "Well, I'll be damned! It's Alice Kramden!"

Totally unrelated, but I remember seeing a cartoon after the Apollo 11 landing. An astronaut peering behind a large bolder at a woman lying on the ground exclaims "Well, I'll be damned! It's Alice Kramden!"

That's great! The last rerun I saw had Ralph trying to talk Alice into giving him money for a scheme. He threatened to leave and said, "You can't put your arms around a memory, Alice". She said, "I can't put my arms around you!". :D

Last edited:
I still say "get the bag Norton" at the occasional appropriate moments.

Back
Top Bottom