Best value optical chain

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm looking for your recommendation on a good chain to purchase glasses. I just had cataract surgery and will need minor correction for near vision. I don't care for the cheap drug store readers and could probably benefit from a professional fitting and better quality glasses.

I've always used a local optometrist but wonder if some of the chains (Lenscrafters, etc) might offer good value. I thought my days of buying expensive prescription glasses were over and although I don't need progressive 3-lines, I still will need some help.

thanks in advance...

I just got a new pair of light weight progressives from Costco and am very satisfied. Cost me $259, which is much cheaper than what I would pay at Lensecrafters with insurance applied.

We used JCPenney's of all places, because the local store was good at getting us the proper fit.

39dollarglasses
zennioptical
costco

All three have given me great service at great prices, and I would not hesitate to use any of them again.

Happy Costco customer.

There is a great Sixty Minutes story on the prescription eyeglass industry. The dominant player is Luxottica, which is both a manufacturer and retailer. They own Lenscrafters, Pearle Vision, Sunglass Hut, as well as major brands like Oakley and Ray Ban.

They have forced many players out of the market by either buying them or squeezing them out through their size and monopolistic business model. The one major company that still directly competes with Luxottica is Costco Optical. Costco was acknowledged to be significantly more price competitive than any of the Luxotica brands and retailers.

It's a fascinating story if you can find it online. Well worth watching.

Tailgate, sorry to hear you still need glasses. I recently (about a year ago) had a horrid experience with Lenscrafters and am back to my optometrist for glasses. I may pay more, but worth it in the end. The knowledge and quality of their staff is top notch.

I also, after recent cataract surgery, continue to need glasses. My monovision is fantastic except when wearing sunglasses. Opthalmologist thinks its a matter of brain getting used to it, however, I think the itty bitty cataract in my other eye that is not affecting my vision, is affecting my vision when wearing sunglasses. I am waiting for the prescription sunglasses and hoping it will solve that problem.

My reading vision seems to be fine, but I am holding some old frames i like in reserve in the event I need to have some reading glasses made.

I believe (but could be wrong - it happens) that you can use Costco Optical AND Costco pharmacy - even if you're not a costco member.

I had a friend ask the pharmacist that when she was there with me (piggybacking a few purchases on my membership.)

+1 on the Zenni recommendation. I've used them for years and their service and pricing is hard to beat.

Wearing Zenni thin glass progressive bifocal photo-darkening glasses right now and for the last year. For under $100. But Costco service is right there, whereas Zenni is on the interweb and China?

Costco - $260 versus $600 at shop inside eye doctor's office.

We have purchased four pairs of glasses and one additional pair of lenses from them over the years and we have been very satisfied.

I might have mentioned Vision4Less, but unfortunately they screwed up a pair of expensive frames for me recently, so......

Zenni here for about four years. Standard Bifocals with spring frames about $35. My favorite are sunglasses with polarized lenses, bifocals, about $80.

I was surprised that Sears had the best price for the local places... the one I go to also had some very good people with lots of experience.... the other brand names did not have anybody good...

Nobody can compete on prices vs the online stores...

I actually had very good luck at Wal-Mart for my last purchase. Best price/selection combination that I found locally with no sales pressure to add coatings, etc.

Prices and selection were a bit better with some of the mail order places mentioned above; but, I was getting new frames and wanted to try them on. My eyes are no longer changing frequently; so, this is not a frequently recurring purchase for me.

Googling "eyeglasses" should bring up all of your local optometrists, as well as any ads where they offer deals. Here, we can get two pair of glasses and a free exam for $79 to $99 at three places.
Franchises always guarantee satisfaction. The "deals" are for a limited selection of frames, and any add-ons... no scratch, tints etc. are always more expensive.
The main objective should be glasses that help you see better.
So... after getting the right lowest cost glasses, get the prescription too. Then, on-line for the next pair at discounts of 75% and more. (after all, when you consider the mfg and material costs designer glasses are the high markup items that earn the optometrists bottom line profits).

The online stores MUST provide guaranteed services or they wouldn't exist. It's just a matter of looking at customer reviews.

But then, doing this, could deprive your local optometrist of his profits... so you have to consider the local economy. :blush:

My SO uses Zenni and is very happy. She bought a pair of progressives with a few extra coatings, etc. and paid ~$50.

I am due for a new pair. Already had my eyes examined about a month ago for "free" (thanks to Medicaid) but am too darned cheap to pull the trigger on even a cheap pair from Zenni. Am making do with my 8 year-old pair, and they're actually working pretty well.

Recent Good Zenni Experiences

Zenni here for about four years. Standard Bifocals with spring frames about $35. My favorite are sunglasses with polarized lenses, bifocals, about $80.

I recently bought what is now my favorite pair of sunglasses from Zenni as well: very light weight, polarized, scratch guard, etc. for under $100.

Well, I thought I had lost these glasses for good a couple of weeks ago; so, I went online and reordered. (The Zenni web site was one reason I chose them; easiest to find and price among the sites that I examined.) Later that day, I did find the glasses; so, I IM'd Zenni customer service in the middle of the evening to see if I could cancel my order; they did, not issues.

Zenni will be my go to for ordering glasses.

Note: I got my PD with my prescription with no issues; I do travel extensively and explained that I wanted it just in case. All true.

Another vote for COSTCO.:greetings10:

You can't beat the prices. Selection not bad. Quality great.

Recently purchased 2 pairs of scratch resistant, non-glare, UV treated, no-line trifocals from Costco. One was also tinted for use as sunglasses. Since I had nice frames in excellent condition that I liked I used them instead of buying new frames. The total cost was $270. That was less than half I have been paying for just one pair at the optometrist.

Back
Top Bottom