Costco Optical Disappointment

athena53

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been using Costco Optical for years after seeing the advice here. I just got a letter form the Optometrist who does all the appointments; she said that Costco had found it "difficult to find associate doctors to continue to provide the coverage needed" and now they're switching to a telehealth model where a tech will run the tests and a doc will be there on video call. If I read between the lines, they were trying to keep the costs down so weren't offering enough to attract new doctors. She's moved to a nearby practice and my records will be transferred although I can also request that they be sent to me.

I'm fine with the idea of telehealth for many issues but this seems like a degradation in quality of service and I'll likely switch to the practice she just joined when I need another exam. Fortunately I don't have any complex eye issues. Will also go straight to Zenni for glasses; I've used them mostly for sunglasses and "spare" regular glasses.

Anyone else have this happen at their Costco?

Interesting. But those doctors are independent and paid separately even though Costco tries to set up a nearby doctor. Costco is not the one saving on costs.

You can go anywhere and have your prescription filled at Costco Optical. That’s what I care about.

Last edited:
We bought our first pairs of glasses at Costco, and we certainly have no complaints regarding the prices. But I have to say I am having a tougher time with the prescription progressive lenses. Where my last pair from For Eyes was easy to adjust to, something in the way the Costco lenses forces me to adjust my head tilt to find the right focus - I assume something about the breadth and/or where the focal length transitions I assume. I've had them for a couple months now, and I'm still not entirely comfortable. FWIW

Could it have something to do with pupillary distance (PD)? Different examiners, including the patient using one of those cardboard PD measuring things, can come up with different numbers.

We bought our first pairs of glasses at Costco, and we certainly have no complaints regarding the prices. But I have to say I am having a tougher time with the prescription progressive lenses. Where my last pair from For Eyes was easy to adjust to, something in the way the Costco lenses forces me to adjust my head tilt to find the right focus - I assume something about the breadth and/or where the focal length transitions I assume. I've had them for a couple months now, and I'm still not entirely comfortable. FWIW

It’s Costco. Take them back. They’ll likely remeasure and put new lenses in them.

Interesting. But those doctors are independent and paid separately even though Costco tries to set up a nearby doctor. Costco is not the one saving on costs.

You can go anywhere and have your prescription filled at Costco Optical. That’s what I care about.

+1.

My Costco Optometrist retired years ago. I didn’t care for the new Optometrist at Costco so I found an Optometrist elsewhere. I get my prescription with them, but their prices are much higher for contacts/glasses. For that part, I use Costco Optical.

Works well enough for me.

After the resident optometrist left, my Costco went about a year with no Optometrist.
Early this year, 20/20 Ophthalmology Services took over.
I made an appt. and paid $75 for an exam, then bought glasses at Zenni.

No problems.

My wife and I had always been happy at Costco Optical but our former optometrist left and things changed for the worse. When my wife and I showed up last time they wanted to charge $30 extra if I didn’t want my eyes dialated and be blinded for hours. If you pay the extra (now $120 vs $90) they will use the good machine and you don’t have to be blinded. I walked out in disgust and my wife paid for her exam.

Last edited:
Yikes, my Ophthalmologists does an eye exam covered by Medicare and prescription, not covered by Medicare. Costs me $55.

I'm in the process of looking for a good optometrist for glasses. Used to have one who I went to when I was a teen until fairly recently but he retired. Most recently, when the chain store with bad to mixed results. Tried online but not happy with that either.

Most recently, when the chain store with bad to mixed results. Tried online but not happy with that either.

I dealt with the chains when I had "vision care" through my employer, which was really a purported discount at selected chains. I was turned off by the pile of surcharges on the sticker price (non-scratch coating, progressive lenses, UV protection, etc.). They even charged on top of that for progressive lenses if the lens was particularly narrow (which was a fad a few years ago). I'd believe the latter if lenses were still ground by hand by someone toiling away at a workbench, but really?

The fact that every clothing and accessory designer has a branded line of eyeglass lenses tells you something about the money involved. I figure they're all made in China so I'll go with Zenni.

I dealt with the chains when I had "vision care" through my employer, which was really a purported discount at selected chains. I was turned off by the pile of surcharges on the sticker price (non-scratch coating, progressive lenses, UV protection, etc.). They even charged on top of that for progressive lenses if the lens was particularly narrow (which was a fad a few years ago). I'd believe the latter if lenses were still ground by hand by someone toiling away at a workbench, but really?

The fact that every clothing and accessory designer has a branded line of eyeglass lenses tells you something about the money involved. I figure they're all made in China so I'll go with Zenni.

I went to a chain recently as an optometrist I'm thinking of seeing (very good yelp reviews) doesn't have an appointment until August. But I'm been emailing his office back and forth explaining my situation of the chain maybe not making a good pair of lenses I can see out of. A selling point of the chain are convenience (walk in). But not so if have to do several retries. Plus, the price ... ouch!

Could it have something to do with pupillary distance (PD)? Different examiners, including the patient using one of those cardboard PD measuring things, can come up with different numbers.
Yes, that’s what I’m assuming too. I went to a very reputable optometrist, and gave that Rx to Costco. No idea who to fault…

I went to a chain store during last week hoping (but my hopes not high) they would make me a decent pair (progressive lenses) of glasses that I see out of.

Noticed the optician didn't use a digital pupilometer but nonchalantly used a ruler and use the (not so accurate) marker on glasses thing.

When I was trying to buy glasses online, PD must be so precise especially with progressives. I think, even if off by 1/2 mm could be the difference between crystal clear vision or not.

It’s Costco. Take them back. They’ll likely remeasure and put new lenses in them.

yup, i tried progressives from Costco, felt I could not get used to them. Not only did they cheerfully replace them, the "normal" lenses were cheaper so I got a small refund.

I went to a chain store during last week hoping (but my hopes not high) they would make me a decent pair (progressive lenses) of glasses that I see out of.

Noticed the optician didn't use a digital pupilometer but nonchalantly used a ruler and use the (not so accurate) marker on glasses thing.

When I was trying to buy glasses online, PD must be so precise especially with progressives. I think, even if off by 1/2 mm could be the difference between crystal clear vision or not.
I hate to confuse the issue, but my experience was just the opposite.

My For Eyes progressives that were easy to adjust to, we’re measure with a ruler and two careful store clerks (not optometrists) who evidently knew what they were doing.

My Costco progressives that I’m still not comfortable with after months, the optometrist used digital PD. Of course it could be a mistake in production of the lenses and not an issue with how PD was measured. It’s probably too late for me to take them back to Costco…

My For Eyes progressives that were easy to adjust to, we’re measure with a ruler and two careful store clerks (not optometrists) who evidently knew what they were doing.

My Costco progressives that I’m still not comfortable with after months, the optometrist used digital PD. Of course it could be a mistake in production of the lenses and not an issue with how PD was measured. It’s probably too late for me to take them back to Costco…

Nope, not too late, only electronics have 90 days, the rest, no limit on return times.

Glad a chain worked out for you.

My prior glasses, also at a chain, the first try was way off. Looking through the progressives was like looking at a fishbowl. The redo after I put on, glasses were fine. In time, my eyes changed but those glasses are still my go to.

Most recent try, same chain not so good.

I guess the old saying of YMMV applies.

What I didn't like from observing chain's process, after the glasses are ready, all they did was hand the glasses to me. No attempt or interest at all to have me test how well I could see. Plus, I realized that I didn't pick out a matching frame, really didn't fit and think I got a woman's style instead of man's but not a word to correct me.

Got my new glasses to day from Pearle Vision.

My initial disappointment (vision was off) turned to "glasses are good enough" after I did some fitting adjustments on my own and tested in my car driving to see how well I could see. Not perfect (what is?) but I can confidently say the glasses give me better vision at night than the old pair I was using, which I what I was aiming for.

Next time I don't plan on going to Pearle Vison again, but at least this wasn't a total waste of time and money like I initially anticipated.

Back
Top Bottom