Mail Forwarding Service as Resident Address for Tax Purposes

FIGuy

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all,

DW and I currently live in TX, having moved here from MD last year. I'm completely spoiled now on the lack of income taxes. We're both still working and will likely do so for as much as 5-10 more years. Now, we're off to GA for at least one year. We're likely to move states again the year after that.

I work for a CA company, but pay no state income taxes by living in TX. DW currently works for a company here in TX. She's going to be working for a GA company next year, but I'll remain with my CA company as long as they want to keep paying me.

My idea is for us to keep residence in a no-income-tax state. Ideally, we'd just keep our TX licenses and residence, but I've read about a recent law stating that a mail forwarding service address can't be used as a legal residence address so I believe I'd need to keep an empty apartment as well. I've been told by St. Brendan's forwarding service in FL that their address can be used as a legal residence, however, so FL looks like the top choice for us. We may never actually have a domicile in FL, but we could pay for a condo boat slip (no boat) in a marina, an RV deeded lot, small apartment, or something with the tax savings if we had to. I just don't like the idea of the waste of that.

DW will be physically living and renting a place in GA. No intent of purchasing. My expectation is that there's no way around my wife paying GA state income taxes even if she's a FL resident legally. She'll be physically in GA most of the time and working for a GA company. I travel for work all the time and would very likely spend less than 180 days in any one state, including GA. If I just move to FL legally and work for a CA company, am I risking a fight with GA state over this just by having a wife working there? I figure coming from TX, nobody is going to be looking for me tax-wise anyway so if I'm going to make this commitment to FL, now's the time.

The long term goal is to live in a no-income tax state and FL seems as good as any other for us. Anyone have any experience with living this way? Did the domicile vs residence issue ever come up?

I know this is ultimately a question for a CPA and maybe even a lawyer, but I've asked 2 CPAs and got opposite answers. I figured this group may have some experience here. No legally definitive answers expected...

Another thing you'll need to look at - are you allowed to keep your Texas license if you don't spend the majority of a year there. I know in CA you are required to get a new license within 30 days of moving here. Most folks don't - but that's the law.

(Exceptions for active duty military obviously.)

It's not an issue for most people - but it can become a reason to deny a car insurance claim. I know someone this happened to. Her license and car insurance were still in her old state - and they refused to pay her claim because she hadn't followed the law.

Since you already have a TX DL, you might want to look at escapees.com for mail forwarding and another TX address for a legal residence address. I believe their set up meets residence requirements.

Keep your vehicles registered in TX. Maintain a TX voters registration if you like.

The working part tends to throw a wrench in things - but maybe just temporarily.

The definition of "moved" is flexible when it's temporary. A state can't compel you to get a driver's license if you are just there temporarily.

Back
Top Bottom