Question on various internet speeds

paulb

Confused about dryer sheets
I am looking to save money on high speed internet service and am not that technically inclined so I have a question.

From Comcast, I can get internet for $30/month at speed of 6 mbps download 1 mbps upload or for $54/month, 25mbps download 5 mbps upload.

I use the internet for browsing various sites and watching movies, do not play games or download photos, etc. Would the 6/1 speed be enough for me or would it be too slow? I would be the only one using it.

Thanks.

6 MB is plenty for surfing the internet and reading emails. As for movies, if you are streaming them (as opposed to downloading them entirely to your computer before watching them), 6MB is too slow. You will have some hiccups and stuttering while watching the movie. Netflix and Amazon prime are streaming services, so both of those would struggle with 6MB.

Is Comcast the only option for you? Can you get a package deal with your TV services to get a better price?

I think the slow one is too slow for streaming. That said, is there any reason you couldn't try the slower one and then upgrade if it is too slow?

Since there are 8 bits in a byte, 6 megabits = 750 Kilobytes. The file size of a two-hour HD movie is about 4 Gegabytes. To download a 4GB file at 750 KB/s would take 5333 seconds, or about 89 minutes, so 6 mbs should be OK for watching a streamed HD movie, so long as you are not multi-tasking while watching the movie.

I would suggest trying the 6mbs for $30 per month. Comcast will be more than happy to let you upgrade if you find you need a faster speed.

I just tested my speed. It is 1.31Mbps down and 0.33Mbps up. I watch Netflix movies with no interruption. I'm sure it chooses one of the lower definitions, but it looks good enough to me.

I think 6Mbps download speed would be more than enough for movies and general browsing.

Last edited:
I just tested my speed. It is 1.31Mbps down and 0.33Mbps up. I watch Netflix movies with no interruption. I'm sure it chooses one of the lower definitions, but it looks good enough to me.

I tinhk 6Mbps download speed would be more than enough for movies and general browsing.

I guess another factor in the equation is how many horses does the computer has.

I think 6Mbps download speed would be more than enough for movies and general browsing.

Right, I have only ~ 2-4 Mbs down, and it is fine for streaming netflix (though I do have the quality limited, I think one notch below HD, but you can sometimes do HD, on a good day).

I don't know why some people are saying an unequivocal 'NO'? What is that based on? Not on experience, and not on mathematics, as far as I can see.

I guess another factor in the equation is how many horses does the computer has.

Nope, that's a different equation. Your download speed fits in the equation of what you can stream. Your horsepower fits into the equation of what you can process/display.

Both need to be sufficient, but they are two unrelated capabilities.

-ERD50

I just did a quick search and found an article describing the various speeds offered and their typical uses:

https://homes.yahoo.com/news/choose-the-best-internet-speed-for-you-224440280.html

That article is way too general and disjointed with non-apples-apples comparisons to be useful at all.

How about the horse's mouth (I see target2019 posted the link earlier - here's the quote):

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

Sounds like 6Mbps should be good for a single stream, right up to HD quality. But as target2019 said, not a lot of reserve for anything else (if that's an issue), or if the ISP isn't quite hitting their rated speed. But probably fine for SD quality.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom