Well, I had a good run...

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
But now I have a *gulp* job interview of sorts lined up for later this month. Actually, it is a possible contract/consulting gig that I could apparently do remotely, part time, and for a pile of money. All of that adds up to being fairly attractive, it would be interesting work that I would be primarily doing with a friend, and I could make it highly tax efficient. Yet somehow I am having a hard time working up much enthusiasm. Well, guess I will see how things play out. If it dies not happen, I will not exactly be crushed.

I have a funny feeling that you are going to go back to work; as much as you say you don't want to, I think a part of you wants it.

I can't fault you for considering the opportunity. It doesn't matter if it represents a BIG pile of money or working for free. The key is that pursuing it is your CHOICE. This is the ultimate freedom.

I have a funny feeling that you are going to go back to work; as much as you say you don't want to, I think a part of you wants it.

When I quit I did so with the intention of keeping my eyes open for interesting opportunities that came with significant money. But unless I am financially forced to, I am never going back to the cube. This opportunity is worth considering because I could do it remotely and part time, with the only face time required being an all expense paid trip to the city of my birth (where my siblings still live) every couple of months. And importantly, this is contract work. If I find I don't want to deal with this any more, it dies a natural death.

As the cover to "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" says... Don't Panic!
As with anything worthwhile, retirement takes practice. I tried it, went six months before an interesting j$b came up. Figured I'd do it for a year, but was having so much fun, the gig lasted for six -until it wasn't fun any more. So far I'm 2months into my current retirement, applying lessons learned, and enjoying myself even more than I did the first time around. It also helps that I got to sock away a bunch of cash, which allows for more confidence and a few more splurges.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice

Sounds good. I did half time at home without feeling too constrained. I just didn't get much video gaming in. The games were still waiting when I was done.

In your shoes, Brewer, I'd take what sounds like an awesome offer. Then again, in your shoes, I would probably walk funny.

Amethyst

Good luck with the interview! You're young and still have plenty of time to re-retire early...

Maybe you don't feel much enthusiam, yet, because you don't want to feel major disapointment if it doesn't work out? And, smart way to handle the possibility if that's whats your feelings at this point in time. Good Luck!

I've taken a few gigs like this...part time, from home, limited travel, no boss, etc, etc. I charge a lot to weed out the folks that I don't really want to do work for. If I like them, the project and the terms then I do it. If not then I don't. Been nice to add a few shekels to the accounts and like you said if you do it correctly it can be easily tax sheltered.

Heck, I did part-time contract work on/off for 10 years before I quit for real. I demanded both good money and good work, else I walked. And I did a few times. I fired my clients, not the other way around. It was great.

I'm still piddling around a bit for old clients doing oilfield acquisitions. Mostly private equity deals. It's kicking the tires on small companies and requires some travel and detective work by me. I hate to turn this part time work away as it is very lucrative and I still haven't learned how to retire full time yet. Must be in my genes or something...

But now I have a *gulp* job interview of sorts lined up for later this month. Actually, it is a possible contract/consulting gig that I could apparently do remotely, part time, and for a pile of money. All of that adds up to being fairly attractive, it would be interesting work that I would be primarily doing with a friend, and I could make it highly tax efficient. Yet somehow I am having a hard time working up much enthusiasm. Well, guess I will see how things play out. If it dies not happen, I will not exactly be crushed.

Hey, this could be a great opportunity. As others have pointed out, you can have your cake and eat it too. Being young, you can enjoy the attractive/interesting job right now, and still have plenty of time afterwards for a long and fulfilling retirement.

Seems to me that the biggest challenge will be not losing the friend over work related issues, or if you should decide you want to ditch the job.

I think in the future those will be my favorite jobs. Likely i'll cover my living expenses and blow the rest on luxury vacations and what not to make up for saving so much early on. Because you are FI, you have the option or (nearly) guilt free spending. It a dream, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

In your shoes, Brewer, I'd take what sounds like an awesome offer. *Then again, in your shoes, I would probably walk funny.*

Funny. I'll stash that in my back pocket for some future occasion. :)

I'm still piddling around a bit for old clients doing oilfield acquisitions. Mostly private equity deals. It's kicking the tires on small companies and requires some travel and detective work by me. I hate to turn this part time work away as it is very lucrative and I still haven't learned how to retire full time yet. Must be in my genes or something...
There is a very interesting interview with Boone Pickens on Motley Fool. He has to be my favorite public person. He says he loves to work, loves to make money, and loves to give it away. In addition to his huge gift to Oklahoma State's Athletic department, I think he has given away > 1 billion.

Ha

There is a very interesting interview with Boone Pickens on Motley Fool. He has to be my favorite public person. He says he loves to work, loves to make money, and loves to give it away. In addition to his huge gift to Oklahoma State's Athletic department, I think he has given away > 1 billion.

Ha

I enjoy listening to him, also. A man who very much still has his wits about him. Although I am not jealous of his fortune, I am jealous of his ability to find work that is a lifetime passion. I never did find that passion of a career once my aspirations of being a professional athlete were crushed in high school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I enjoy listening to him, also. A man who very much still has his wits about him. Although I am not jealous of his fortune, I am jealous of his ability to find work that is a lifetime passion.....

IMHO- That is what makes anyone truly "rich".

There are two interesting threads going now about spouses and ER issues. If I remember this has been a little of a bump in the road for you and your spouse. I wonder if the 2 of you have talked about this and the changes it might bring to your routines since you ER'd.
What if you try it and then ER again because you don't like it? Something to think about before you make a decision one way or another.

I've been doing part-time consulting (since we decided to retire early) for a start up engineering firm doing product design/development. It was created by the head of engineering after the bankruptcy of the manufacturing company we all worked for. This is with similar working conditions as you've stated in your original post, but for me walking away would be difficult as my work has become intertwined with their overall progress. When they move into eventual product manufacturing, I will ease my way out of working for them while assisting my full-time replacement.

Back
Top Bottom