Privacy - Did you know?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
It's not likely that anyone here, except perhaps moderators, knows my name.

While I expect that there is not much that is sacred about personal privacy any more, but I was surprised when I went for the first time to a news website that I don't frequent, and as I was beginning to scroll down the page, accidentally ran my mouse cursor over a g+ icon... and a pop-up came up, saying "Personally Recommeded by (my name)...

I have no idea of the ramifications of this, except that my name is somewhat unusual, and if it should come up associated with that website, it would be easy enough to find me. I suppose that by signing up for Google plus, ( a long time ago... and I don't use it for anything) I gave my legal authority to expose the information to any page I go to on the internet.

So yes... I should have known...and am probably the only person here who resents this, still... it was a surprise.

I hear ya! I find all aspects of Google to be extremely invasive, however I rely pretty heavily on much of it. I too wish I hadn't signed up with my real name. Thanks for your post, because this got me thinking, so I Googled it and found this: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1355890?hl=en

Headed to change it now.

You can delete the Google + account but if you don't want to do that, just open all the options and uncheck what they have you defaulted for.

It's not likely that anyone here, except perhaps moderators, knows my name.

While I expect that there is not much that is sacred about personal privacy any more, but I was surprised when I went for the first time to a news website that I don't frequent, and as I was beginning to scroll down the page, accidentally ran my mouse cursor over a g+ icon... and a pop-up came up, saying "Personally Recommeded by (my name)...

I have no idea of the ramifications of this, except that my name is somewhat unusual, and if it should come up associated with that website, it would be easy enough to find me. I suppose that by signing up for Google plus, ( a long time ago... and I don't use it for anything) I gave my legal authority to expose the information to any page I go to on the internet.

So yes... I should have known...and am probably the only person here who resents this, still... it was a surprise.
I don't know for sure but it more likely was a link you could select to endorse the page, not a link that would otherwise show up if others visit the page. Even if you clicked it, the endorsement would undoubtedly only go to your Google plus circle, not the whole world. I have seen similar links for Facebook likes.

sounds like Facebook issues too...they have me 'liking' posts that I've never liked. Apparently if are friends with someone who 'liked' Target at some point, Facebook implies that you also like Target and push out posts that 'you' like Target... such BS....

sounds like Facebook issues too...they have me 'liking' posts that I've never liked. Apparently if are friends with someone who 'liked' Target at some point, Facebook implies that you also like Target and push out posts that 'you' like Target... such BS....
I haven't seen that but I have noticed that these sites are getting better at obscuring the "opt in" notice that likes some page when you thought you were doing something else. It is like the download sights that trick you into installing toolbars and unwanted software. The disclosure is there if you are watching for it but easily overlooked if you are rushing along at typical Internet speeds.

It is like the download sights that trick you into installing toolbars and unwanted software. The disclosure is there if you are watching for it but easily overlooked if you are rushing along at typical Internet speeds.

My DW is famous for getting tricked like that. Just last week I had to uninstall the Ask toolbar and bunch of other similar junk off her desktop. Java tries to trick you into that stuff as does Adobe.

this is why I don't like social media and don't use any of them. I make an exception for this forum, bogelheads, and one other forum. I don't need to share my life online - I have an "in real life" life. I have a friend that calls herself a "Facebook stalker" .... she reads but rarely posts - how scary is that ?

My DW is famous for getting tricked like that. Just last week I had to uninstall the Ask toolbar and bunch of other similar junk off her desktop. Java tries to trick you into that stuff as does Adobe.

Ask toolbar = evil. Oracle should be ashamed.

Back
Top Bottom