Table top propane BBQ

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am looking for a table top propane BBQ. The one I currently have is hard to light, losses its flame in just about any breeze, and seems to use a lot of propane to produce very little heat.

It doesn't have to be a big one, Enough room for about 6 burger patties would be great. It must be easily portable and it must light easily without threatening to burn my eyebrows or arms every time I light it. :(

You recommendations are welcome.

We recently purchased the Weber Q1200 from Amazon for $200.00. It was a little pricey, but the food comes out excellent, and it's very portable. It has an electric push button igniter which makes starting it up a breeze, and it folds up nice and neat for us to store in the pantry when we are not using it. We have been very happy with it so far.

I would guess we are getting about 90 minutes of flames per tank, which is usually good for 4-5 uses. It's not great, but I don't have room for a full size grill and 20 pound tank on our patio.

I would guess we are getting about 90 minutes of flames per tank, which is usually good for 4-5 uses. It's not great, but I don't have room for a full size grill and 20 pound tank on our patio.

90 minutes sounds good. I probably get 1/2 of that on my current clunker.

Here's a good one also:

Weber® Go-Anywhere Gas Grill : Target

I bought this small propane Weber Go-Anywhere Gas Grill about 4 years ago. I use it at home periodically when it's just the wife and I eating and take it with me on camping trips and football game tailgating get togethers. I love this little grill. It's sturdy and cooks evenly. Good luck

Mike

Does it use a lot of fuel. My BBQ will drain a $3.60 canister of propane cooking only three quick meals of hamburger patties.

If you have the space, you can get a LP hose that connects to a 20 lb container and will attach to the same connection as a propane canister. At less than $20 for 20 Lbs, it would lower your cost to pennies per cooking session.

Thanks Wrigley, Senator and braumeister. I will look into those suggestions.

Wrigley, how easy is that Weber to light? It is similar to the cheapy I purchased and that awful BBQ has to be lit through a slot in the bottom of the BBQ which is very awkward and often impossible in the slightest breeze.

Thanks Wrigley, Senator and braumeister. I will look into those suggestions.

Wrigley, how easy is that Weber to light? It is similar to the cheapy I purchased and that awful BBQ has to be lit through a slot in the bottom of the BBQ which is very awkward and often impossible in the slightest breeze.

It has an electric push button igniter and mine is still working after 4 years! :)

Mike

Not propane, but the Medium size Big Green Egg meets all your criteria and will last the rest of your life.
Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience
One large bag of charcoal will be enough for months if you only use it a few times a week.

I have looked into these - a friend has the large one and can turn out some tasty 'q.

But the medium weighs over 100lbs and needs a 'nest' (aka stand).

I think the OP was looking for something more 'portable'.

We recently purchased the Weber Q1200 from Amazon for $200.00. It was a little pricey, but the food comes out excellent, and it's very portable. It has an electric push button igniter which makes starting it up a breeze, and it folds up nice and neat for us to store in the pantry when we are not using it. We have been very happy with it so far.

I have the Q1000 (no side shelves vs the Q1200) and am also happy with it. It gets nice and hot, the heat is fairly even, and it cooks a good burger or steak.

I've never really measured its propane use, so I can't comment on how efficient it is.

Since I have a natural gas grill at home (I never run out of propane in the tank!), this one is used on picnics and (rarely) as a secondary grill when there is a real crowd at the house.

I bought an infrared grill a few years ago, and I will never have another type. The high temp grilling really makes a huge difference to me. I have a full size model, but I believe Char-broil makes a portable model.

I have looked into these - a friend has the large one and can turn out some tasty 'q.

But the medium weighs over 100lbs and needs a 'nest' (aka stand).

I think the OP was looking for something more 'portable'.

The Army used to define "portable" as meaning "anything you can weld handles onto."

But I recently helped a friend get started with a medium BGE and found it easy enough to carry. They make a "table nest" for this purpose.

Just a thought.

If you have the space, you can get a LP hose that connects to a 20 lb container and will attach to the same connection as a propane canister. At less than $20 for 20 Lbs, it would lower your cost to pennies per cooking session.

X2, I have a small tabletop propane grill for use with my motorhome, and use the hose and a 20 lb tank instead of the small bottles. Typical refill on the 20 lb tank at the propane dealer is around $12. Costs more to do the tank exchange thing.

+1 on the Weber. I have the 2-series and the extra hose for using the large tank. The cast iron grate is, well, great too. You can get plenty of food on it too.

Very portable as we just moved to house-sit last night and have taken it camping on the beach.

Although this thread is from last year and says propane, summer's coming around again. I'm going to a BGE dealer to check out an Egg to be used as a secondary grill. It looks like the MiniMax might be around the right size. Any experiences with those (pros/cons)?

I went to Memphis for college and lived there 18 years. I am a bbq nut.

Anytime I have any question about anything to do with barbeque, I go to AmazingRibs.com. They have recommendations on grills of all kinds.

And they have great recipes for rubs and sauces that are just great.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Memphis? You'll have to pry my Rendezvous sauce from my cold, dead hand ;)

Another like for the Weber Q series. Cast aluminum body & top. Used it in our motorhome and still using it on the patio 6 years later.

+1 on the Weber.

Based on reviews, this Aussie Grille looks to be well received.

Aussie Stainless Steel Tailgate & Portable Grill - Sam's Club
currently out of stock, but @$80 looks like a good deal

Lots more expensive on other online sites...

One of the features that appeals to me, is the stainless grille itself, which is almost self cleaning. According to the reviews on the Weber, cleaning the parts is necessary after each use.
The guy across the street has had a tabletop stainless grille for the past 15 or so years... never bothers much with cleaning but it always looks great. It also seems to heat up very rapidly, and he uses it to cook for groups of about 10 people, with no stress or long waits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom