Play a Musical Instrument?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
:)Not to include CD Player, Radio etc.

Personally, not an expert on any, but I do play guitar, uke, and to some extent,
recorder, harmonica and keyboard, and (long ago), the violin... to the 6th position.

So... do/did you play? If so, for your own entertainment, or in a group or on stage?

Seems as if music is taking a hit in education, with music classes one of the first to go, when school budgets get squeezed. Does your local school system still have regular courses in music?

Last question... Is RAP... Music?. :confused:

Playing music is one of my great joys. I play baroque flute, recorder, and harpsichord regularly and also dabble with fortepiano and modern piano. I have been hired to play at weddings, have assisted college music students by playing at their recitals and have performed onstage with a Renaissance music group, but I would stop short of calling myself a professional musician. One of my big hopes for retirement is to find/form one or more ensembles so that music can finally play the role in my life that I have wanted it to for so long.

A bit of guitar. I would enjoy it more if I were better at it but maybe it has something to do with starting late? I was way over-confident that I'd be able to run with it a lot easier. But I don't think I can give it up entirely.

Flute (I already guessed that JJQuantz did too), recorder. I tried to play the oboe for a few years but it gave me heart palpitations. DH plays guitar and uke.

I don't play either one much any more, but I still know how to play the piano and the guitar.

I played the saxophone in high school. I took piano lessons about 40 years ago and just could not learn it. Would like to try again, but not sure I'd do any better. Has anyone here learned to play the piano in their 50s or later?

I played the saxophone in high school. I took piano lessons about 40 years ago and just could not learn it. Would like to try again, but not sure I'd do any better. Has anyone here learned to play the piano in their 50s or later?

I don't think you ever "learn" it, but if you try you are always learning. Go for it!

I play piano when I get the chance/if someone has one. I also sing a lot with my grandkids or by myself.....

I play flute, piccolo, and piano. Had conservatory professor private lessons while in college, for which I am forever grateful, so I play 2-3x per week. Started teaching myself oboe, but it is very difficult. DH is a musician, plays piano, synth keyboards, drums, violin and sax. DS is a percussion major, but also plays flute, trumpet, trombone, clarinet.

We can't downsize--baby grand in the living room, vibes and xylophone in the family room, drums and electronic keyboard studio in the basement.

OTOH, my piccolo fits in my pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I play flute, piccolo, and piano. Had conservatory professor private lessons while in college, for which I am forever grateful, so I play 2-3x per week. Started teaching myself oboe, but it is very difficult. DH is a musician, plays piano, synth keyboards, drums, violin and sax. DS is a percussion major, but also plays flute, trumpet, trombone, clarinet.

We can't downsize--baby grand in the living room, vibes and xylophone in the family room, drums and electronic keyboard studio in the basement.

OTOH, my piccolo fits in my pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Good to hear that I am not the only one with down-sizing issues. We have a harpsichord, fortepiano, clavichord, upright piano and a reed organ. Also various flutes, recorders and other small instruments.

I play the Kazoo.

When I was a kid, I took piano lessons. I hated them. They came on because my other bought a piano and it came with six months of lessons. My sister wanted to learn, and I got caught up in the hype...

I would love to be able to pick up a guitar or piano, and be able to pick off three or four chords. Just enough for most people to be able to "name that tune". After the few chords, then quit playing. People would want me to go on, and I could make up an excuse why I did not want to. Not in tune, just doesn't feel right, etc.

Of course that would be all I would know how to play.

Piano, which I can still play. Trumpet, which I haven't played since high school. Started to teach myself guitar but sort of lost interest using the online learning method. Still want to learn it, but think I'll wait until retirement and then find a real live person to teach me.

Harmonica - I thought it would be cool to play something so very portable. I couldn't get over the hump of sounding good enough to motivate me to continue. I should give it another try. I do play keyboards a bit, can strum a few chords and have memorized a few runs on guitar, can play a scale on recorder and maybe clarinet with a little practice, but I can't really play those.

Q. What's the definition of a gentleman?
A. Someone who knows how to play the bagpipe and doesn't.

What's all this bagpipe hate (not directed at you, it seems to be a recurring theme)? I love bagpipes! Well, OK, in fairly small doses. I doubt that any cable or satellite system has a 'bagpipe channel'! :LOL:

The Uilleann pipes tend to be a bit more mellow...

-ERD50

I would love to learn to play guitar, but I don't think I have dexterity or ear for it. I took African drumming lessons for a while (djembe) but got demoted to cowbell by the end!

Mostly I'm happy to be an appreciative listener blessed with many musical friends, though. Nothing better than ending an evening with a few folks playing guitar in your living room.

Thankfully, my roommate's drumming skills have improved dramatically over the past few months and I actually enjoy hearing him practice the big set--good thing, as there's no escaping the noise!

Have played guitar since about 14 and still playing and learning at 63. I've played a few bars around town just for fun but play mostly for my own enjoyment.

Baritone. At least once a year I get to play with the University of Texas Longhorn Alumni Band. More often at smaller pep rallies where they bribe us with free beer.

took guitar lessons as a teen, played drums in high school and college and in bands, but now play mostly piano. find playing very enjoyable and relaxing. still have drums and guitar in the " music room".

Got my first guitar at 22 as a gift from my Mom and decided that I should try to learn how to play (I did not ask for a guitar not sure why she decided to give me that). I had taken piano lessons when I was 10ish so maybe that's why (I quit to play football and blow out my knee :p). I found that I liked it and thought if I could strum some chords that would be good enough. I never really progressed for many years (stopping for months/years at times). About 10 years ago I started playing again (a couple of years after Mom died) to honour her. I was playing something, asked my wife what she thought and her response was "it all sounds the same". I decided then to get an electric guitar and take some lessons. I now have 5 guitars and try to play at least an hour a day. I'm better, but not much better but it doesn't all sound the same now. I'd like to get back into a band if possible just to jam and maybe that's something when I FIRE. I'd have a better chance if I could play the drums (drummers are always in demand it seems) or could sing but my best chance would be to play bass (way more guitarists then bassist)...but I don't think my musical brain could handle it...it is very small and underdeveloped as my kid brother got all the artistic talent in the family

Played trumpet since third grade... Until about four years ago. It just takes too much time and effort to keep your lip in shape.

A bit of guitar. I would enjoy it more if I were better at it but maybe it has something to do with starting late? I was way over-confident that I'd be able to run with it a lot easier. But I don't think I can give it up entirely.

Pretty much the same as you on this. I love guitar music and love playing it, but I have to practice all the time just to be what I'd consider mediocre at it. I was told that the younger you start, the easier it is for your brain to assimilate the chords & finger positions into memory. I'll always play, just because I love it. However, it's more likely that people would pay me NOT to play.....lol. Only in the privacy of my own home! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom