Learning to play a musical instrument after Retirement?

I think Mitchell is Guitar Center / Musicians friend House brand. Take it in have them set the neck and put new strings on . not a bad guitar. You will think you got a new guitar . Usually only costs no more then 40.00 total. If you were in Houston I would take you to the best Luthier I feel in the world. He is an incredible person , he also builds guitars and he is very honest.

I just noticed your username...does it anything to do with Breedlove Guitars?

Handmade Acoustic Guitars - Acoustic Guitars - Best Handmade Guitars

A few suggestions for "older" persons who want to learn a musical instrument, but have little or no music knowledge, and want to try it out without committing tons of time and money to something they might not like, or be willing to work at hard enough to be "good"...

So... Try a Baritone Uke.... Nicer sound than a Soprano uke, lower with not so much "tinkle". More "spacing" on the keys... easier to feel as well as see.
For starters, about a $40 investment for the package... Uke and cheap case.
Only four strings to learn, not 6.
Don't have to learn to read music. Use "Chord Boxes" little squares that show where to put your fingers.
Strings are nylon, instead of steel. Most appreciated by those poor souls who gave up the guitar, because it cut their fingers. Growing those callouses is not easy, and even harder when you get older.
For newbies, you don't play a melody with a ukelele (unless you're really, really good)... you just play chords, as shown on the music sheet chord boxes.
You can play about 50% of all songs, using only 6 or 7 chords.(
Doesn't mean you can change keys, but hey... you're not a pro yet.
If you learn the Baritone uke, it's the same as playing the smaller soprano uke.
If you decide to advance to the guitar, later, the top four strings are played exactly the same, you're just adding the two extra strings... and remembering where toput the extra finger(s).

This isn't for those who are really serious, or for those folks who have already found their way to being comfortable playing guitar, but kind of a short cut to enjoying music that you "make" yourself. There are hundreds of tunes you can play just by knowing 3 or 4 chords. If you know "Jada", you can play it with 2 chords.

If you're really thinking about taking up the uke, I'd suggest you don't look at the lessons that are showing on utube... They'll scare you. You can learn easier on your own from the booklet that comes with the uke, and find that you'll learn to "play by ear" rather than trying to learn the chord conversions and key transitions that the utube videos are prone to try to teach beginners.

That's my take on the subject... Not a pro, but it's the process I've used to start others on the way to enjoying making music the easy way. :cool:

Last edited:
When Guitar Center put new strings on they should have evaluated the neck and the setting of your guitar . But being Guitar Center I understand . When you have your guitar set up , they might have to sand a little on the nut at the top of the guitar , sand a little on the bridge at the bottom or just adjust a twisted neck . This all sounds bad but most guitars have a truss rod that adjusts the neck in seconds.
Most guitars are mass produced and do not come from the factory set up ( to play good ) so people try playing a guitar that is not set up properly and blame the guitar , get discouraged and quit. Denny Zager , you remember the song ( In the year 2525 ) is selling what he calls the easiest playing guitars in the world. He imports a mass produced Asian guitar and sets it up from his factory and people jump through hoops. Don't think your guitar is junk because it was cheap by some . Set up correctly you can enjoy many years of fun with it . I prefer certain things and that is just me . Play what you like . I endorse Breedlove Guitars and use Carvin Sound.

I still have my EKO 12 string and 6 string from 1969. They were the European counterpart to Gibson in their day. Still in pristine condition which is rare. I had a few other acoustic guitars and a few other electric guitars in the past including a late 50s Gibson Les Paul and late 60s Gibson SG. The only electrics I have now are a DeArmond X-155 and a DeArmond T-400 both in mint condition that I bought new during the few short years they were available.

If anyone is in the market for a guitar I would recommend a couple of books before you buy. A good source for used books where you may be able to save a few dollars is Abebooks. The books are: Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine and The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. Well worth having for latter reference.

Cheers!

Thanks Breedlove! I'll look into improving the action & setup of my guitar. And yes I remember Zager and Evans' 2525...what a great song.

If you already have a piano at home and a DW who knows how to play, you have nothing to lose. At some point, becoming able to play/read bass clef and treble clef simultaneously transforms the experience into something very enjoyable.

I learned the piano at a young age, but have been too busy w*orking to keep it up. I look forward to rekindling my time with the piano next year when I have more time.

OP, I say go for it! I'm in my late 40s and never had music lessons as a child. I started piano lessons two years ago and am really enjoying it.

If you want to learn on your own, the books I am using will enable you to do that. I currently have an instructor but the series is set up to assist self-learners and all the pieces can be found in instructional videos by various people on YouTube so if you get stuck, you can hear the piece played; I find watching the fingers move across the keyboard helpful on some of the pieces. :)

The series my instructor has me using is Alfred's All In One Adult Course. Book one is $7.90 on Amazon and includes music theory in addition to just teaching you how to read music.

Should I stop lessons, I plan to continue self-teaching with these books and YouTube videos where needed. I'm very happy with this series.

If you already have a piano at home and a DW who knows how to play, you have nothing to lose. At some point, becoming able to play/read bass clef and treble clef simultaneously transforms the experience into something very enjoyable.

I learned the piano at a young age, but have been too busy w*orking to keep it up. I look forward to rekindling my time with the piano next year when I have more time.

Yes, we have one sitting in the den. I have one grandson (5 yo) who picks away on it and seems to have an ear for it. We are going to pay for his lessons. Sometimes he will be singing or humming a song and he will drop everything, run into the den and in a few seconds we will hear him searching for the right keys. It puts a smile on our faces and our hearts. :)

OP, I say go for it! I'm in my late 40s and never had music lessons as a child. I started piano lessons two years ago and am really enjoying it.

If you want to learn on your own, the books I am using will enable you to do that. I currently have an instructor but the series is set up to assist self-learners and all the pieces can be found in instructional videos by various people on YouTube so if you get stuck, you can hear the piece played; I find watching the fingers move across the keyboard helpful on some of the pieces. :)

The series my instructor has me using is Alfred's All In One Adult Course. Book one is $7.90 on Amazon and includes music theory in addition to just teaching you how to read music.

Should I stop lessons, I plan to continue self-teaching with these books and YouTube videos where needed. I'm very happy with this series.

Thanks for mentioning the course you are going through. I will look that up and save it in my Amazon Wish List. I am taking careful aim on joining the class of 2018, so maybe this time next year I will be reporting back on my progress.

I took the plunge and started classical guitar lessons, then added piano. After a couple years of classical guitar classes with practice squeezed into a busy schedule, I can play a few mid grade pieces, and now enjoy just hanging out on the deck, playing. Clapton instrumentals are a motivation and I absolutely love jazz.

Piano skills are getting better, but not there yet, but dw, C, has taken to it too. She had lessons as a child and has enjoyed starting up again, immensely.

I'd say go for it if you want.

Back
Top Bottom